Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World cup memories

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The big spider on the pitch in 86

CG2YJD1UIAE9kKn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

In the 70's....I remember trying to pronounce the Holland team ( as they were then before Anyone heard of Netgerlands!)....

There was Johnny Rep, the Van Der Kirken twins, Kriffe (cruff !!!)

And they had the BEST kit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

rekluse wrote: »
    Also reminded of the Russian fella Salenko who bagged 5 goals in one game against Cameroon to become the (joint) top scorer of the tournament.
    I remember there was a big punt on Cameroon to win that game as the Russians had a minimal chance to qualify, whereas if the Cameroon won and Brazil, as expected, beat Sweden, then it would go to goal difference or both could do through, with one as a best 3rd place side. Instead, we got that 6-1 hockeying, and they both went home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'd imagine that I am a good bit older than most on here, and this represents a rare moment when age is something to crow about.

My first World Cup was 1974: a tournament lit up by the wonderful Dutch team. In an era where live football was restricted to the FA Cup Final, the European Cup Final and the England v Scotland game at the end of the Home Nations Championship, the sudden wall-to-wall live coverage of so many matches was beyond excitement. The highlights for me of that World Cup were the dazzling Dutch, Paul Breitner's long range strike for West Germany against Chile in Berlin - a goal which I used to proclaim at the time was the best I'd ever seen, and yet with the advent of time I now realize the keeper should have saved - and the thrill of awaiting what were effectively two World Cup semi-finals - Holland against Brazil in Dortmund and West Germany against Poland in Frankfurt, with the start delayed due to the deluge of rain.

1974 and 1978 are my two favourite World Cups - back then, the world was a much bigger place, and teams like Argentina and Brazil may as well have been different planets. There was something exotic about these teams - they were completely unknown and you knew you would be watching great footballers who you had never seen or heard of before, and as a football fan that was really thrilling. I genuinely feel sorry for kids nowadays that they cannot share that same feeling - they have wall to wall live football, so a World Cup does not bring anything new in that regard, and the great footballers on view, they will all know intimately - there will be little in the way of surprises.

For once, I don't envy people their youth! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

1974 and 1978 are my two favourite World Cups
    Depending on how much money your parents had, this was watching the Dutch lose one in black and white and then one in colour.

jacool wrote: »
    Depending on how much money your parents had, this was watching the Dutch lose one in black and white and then one in colour.

On the money my friend!

I do recall England going on a tour of South America in 1977 and playing Argentina in Boca Juniors' ground, La Bombonera (sp?).

The Beeb showed the 1-1 draw live, and the match was in black and white, and I recall Barry Davis saying that Argentina were in a race against time to have colour TV services available for the World Cup, the following year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

4de0be3fb721bce876b84da7d058d7de.jpg

Classic stuff

I think my one is still in my parents attic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

82 was the first World Cup I remember. The Brazil side that year was incredible, I couldnt believe the football they played which made it all the more difficult to see them go out. They are often referred to as the best side not to win.

82 was the first World Cup I remember. The Brazil side that year was incredible, I couldnt believe the football they played which made it all the more difficult to see them go out. They are often referred to as the best side not to win.

They were a great team no doubt, but I would have had Holland 1974 ahead of them and I know my Dad, Lord Rest Him, would have had Hungary 1954 ahead of both!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Has to be Italia 90

Sheedys equalizer
    Tomiftes miss , Bonners save O Learys peno

Heart break against Italy from Schillaci

Magical stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

chicorytip wrote: »
    Argentina 1978 was memorable mainly because of the fanatical home support, the goals of Mario Kempes, a wonder goal from Archie Gemill, Willie Johnstone's doping offence, a brilliant Dutch side and Scotland (with Dalglish, Souness et al.) managing only to draw against the mighty Iran!

Sorry to have to correct you there....

Scotland played Holland of the pitch and it was only thanks to Johnny Rep's screamer in that Scotland - Holland match that the final was eventually reached. Holland was out before he scored.

Clip is annoying as hell but best i could find of that goal. It was the 3-1

Only thing really brilliant of that Holland side was their manager, the best one who ever lived, Ernst Happel.
    Well at least appointing Danny Blind made sure i will not see a 4th lost WC final this season.

As for memories.....

Too many to list so small selection from the Dutch WC's i actually saw on tv:

Now everybody knows about Cruijff but at least as important, if not more important was this man Willem van Hanegem.
    There was no one intimidating him, as you can see in the Brazil match of 74

We were so close. That was at 1-1 45:15 in the 2nd half of normal time.
    Although i am convinced they would still be playing injury time now if it had gone in for 2-1 The Netherlands.
    Videla wouldnt have allowed the end of the match before an Argentine equaliser.

Absent in 82 and 86

Horrible tournament overall.

I couldnt find a clip of Holland - Ireland so instead i posted an more interting clip

Not the best tournament either. Best they played was the period they came back to 2-2 from 2-0 down to Brazil. Bergkamp still took planes then.

Go to 1:12 and have to watch it on youtube

The start of penalty shoot out misery was in 96, but this one hurt as well. Out to Brazil after penalties in the semis. Out via penos in the Euro's of 2000 followed before finally winning one in 2004
    Bergkamp's goal vs Argentina already mentioned so will not post it again.

At around 2:10 in the same match though, something almost equally important happened. Holland was down to 10 when this happened. van der Sar set the trap, Ortega fell for it.

The reason i will never rate Van Gaal as high as most people do. Not qualifying with that squad and continue to play Kluivert together with Van Nistelrooij, which looks good on paper but never looked anywhere as good on the pitch showed him up badly.

Showing my mean streak here and my frustration towards Portuguese teams
    Whether it is the national team oor the club teams from Holland, we jaut cant beat the portuguese. Something that already started in the 60's when Feyenoord made it to the semi finals to Benfica but lost 5-1 after a goal was disalowed that had gotten feyenoord into the final

So

And

Sorry about that.

Here another Van Persie moment in 2006

:(

inforfun wrote: »
    Sorry to have to correct you there....

Scotland played Holland of the pitch and it was only thanks to Johnny Rep's screamer in that Scotland - Holland match that the final was eventually reached. Holland was out before he scored.

Scotland did indeed play Holland off the pitch that night, but I'm nearly sure that Scotland needed to win by three clear goals to go through, i.e. they still needed one more after Gemmil's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You are right. They were 3-1 up when Rep scored. They did indeed need a 4th at 3-1.
    I really thought it was the goal that killed Scotland and Holland needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

inforfun wrote:

That was Rough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Younger readers please note that Scotland got to 5 world cups in a row, between 1974 and 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

1990 has so many.
    Caniggia vs. Cameroon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Oh God, I love the World Cup :D Reading through this has brought back so many happy memories.

First ever memory is of Haiti going 1-0 up against Italy in 1974. In those days, there were very few surprises, and hardly ever an upset. Italy just about recovered to win 3-1. Watching Zaire (against Scotland) just seemed very exotic.

1978 stands out as perhaps my favourite tournament as it's the first I remember completely. Every morning at school the lads would rip up loads of paper and do our own "Argentina" in the class room. A lot of the matches were not shown live, but there were some very late night games which my parents allowed me to stay up for.

1990 is also fondly remembered, of course! Not necessarily for the football, mainly for the way the whole country closed down for the Irish games. Also the way that mothers and grandmothers all became experts on the game and could be found heatedly discussing Costa Rica's/Cameroon's/Austria's etc chances :D

Gazzas tears and Lineker's reaction to them also made me laugh.

2002 had some great shock results (eg South Korea and Turkey getting to the semis) and also fantastic atmospheres whenever Japan or Korea were playing.

2014 purely for the unbelievable result of Brazil 1-7 Germany.

Least favourite WC was probably South Africa in 2010, a lot of poor football but even worse than that was the dreaded vuvuzuela, which wrecked my head :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2010 was horrible alright. Had to watch football on near mute a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

First World Cup I can remember well was Mexico 86,England had one of the best balanced midfields they have ever produced Steve Hodge,Ray Wilkins,Bryan Robson,Trevor Steven and John Barnes who got in after Robson got injured.
    Maradona was superb,Belgium had a great attacking team.
    Italy 90 wasn’t great quality wise but Ireland’s journey was epic.
    For me USA 94 was best WC I have seen,tremendous attacking football,lots of brilliant goals,Maradona drugged to his eyeballs running to camera.....Bulgaria had a superbly skillful midfield and attack led by Hristo Stoichkov.
    Recent World Cups have being short on quality imo especially in Group Stages.
    With the ever increasing number of successful qualifiers for the event I fear for the overall quality of future tournaments but TV money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me Recent World Cups have being short on quality imo especially in Group Stages.

The last World Cup had the best group stages ever. The latter stages of it were pretty boring for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

4de0be3fb721bce876b84da7d058d7de.jpg

Classic stuff

Myself and brothers collected this. I have it in my attic. Missing just one sticker!

If anyone has Hans Krankl sticker ‘X’ drop me a pm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

1978.... this little ditty from our friends in Scotland.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AcE86JmIN3E

IIRC, they went there as 3rd favourites.

Strange times indeed..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

patmac wrote: »
    So many but the Brazilian team of 1970, Pele’s kickoff against Uruguay as the keeper was praying and the dummy in the same game, Pele vs Moore. But the fourth goal for Brazil in the final was a thing of beauty, Pele’s pass without looking maybe he got a shout, maybe not.
    Edit just watched a half hour documentary on YouTube, he didn’t get a shout he knew he would be there as they had practiced it in training, best team goal ever.
    This was the first World Cup when I had an interest in football, and it remains my best recollection of wonderful football played by Brazil

Maybe a hint of rose tinted glasses, but the flair in that Brazilian team was something else, with the most famous player on the planet in a front line also boasting Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostão and Rivelino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A lot of my favourites have been mentioned but want to give a shout out to the Blanco Bounce!

4147755526.jpg

I remember all the local kids and myself trying to emulate this when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

1998 final is still memorable...
    The whole build up, Ronaldo the biggest 'star' in world football, rumours he was not playing, suddenly the team list issued with his name off it, then he was back on a reissued list, Motty going berserk on BBC about it, talk of Nike insisting he plays and when the game started it was clear he was in no fit state to play, the French performance with Zidane's brace and all that....

Sticks in my memory anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Vague recollections of the 78 World Cup, and Dad letting me stay up to watch the odd game, no idea what time or what game, and I doubt I even watched 10 minutes! 1982 was the one I first truly remember.

We were on holiday in Italy at the time (arse end of Sicily to be precise) so it was pretty vivid, the semi final where Schumacher nearly took Battison's head off and stayed on the pitch probably stuck with me more so than even watching Italy win whilst we were in the country. Oh, and the mascot was a giant orange iirc.

Mexico 86 because it was the first WC I had a go at finishing a Panini sticker book (not even close) and Italy 90 because it's as close as England will probably ever get to winning the World Cup.....again. (But we have already won it, so we're kind of a big deal, see Brexit vote and English soccer press - erm, so yeah, not really a big deal outside some peoples fevered imagination)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

First World Cup I remember was 98 and the game better Nigeria and Spain that Nigeria won 3-2. I remember Taribo West playing in that game and his crazy hair! Chile also stood out with Salas and Zamarano playing upfront for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The redemption of Ronaldo in '02!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wow some of you are old ;) First World Cup I can remember properly is 2002.

2002 - Lots of memories from an Irish perspective; Saipan, getting up extremely early to see Matt Holland crack one in against Cameroon, Robbie Keane v Germany, penalty shootout heartbreak. Also Senegal beating France in the first game, Ronaldinhos free kick against England, South Korea going on a great run including a win against Italy and of course Brazil being brilliant. I have always loved Brazil since watching this tournament. Ronaldo and Ballack were two great players in that world cup.

2006 - Torsten Frings scoring a belter of a goal for Germany, England losing to Portugal on penalties, Zidane's performance against Brazil, Grosso goal v Germany and of course the final.. Zidanes headbutt and the penalty shootout that followed.

2010 - Remember it was a poor world cup but I recall South Africa beating France, some North Korea players disappearing before the finals, the new era German team being very impressive especially Mesut Ozil, Lampards disallowed goal against Germany, Suarez handball block against Ghana, Diego Forlan banging in the goals and the Netherlands being very physical against Spain in the final.

2014 - A cracking group stages but somewhat petered out after that.. Chile & Colombia being very impressive, James Rodriguez one of the standout players, Costa Rica being the overachievers including knocking out England & Italy, Tim Krul coming on just before the penalty shootout to be the hero in the QF, Germany demolishing Brazil in the semis (possibly the most standout world cup moment for me) and then Gotzes late winner in the final..

It's amazing the memories everyone has of the world cup and it is never short of magic moments, without doubt the biggest sporting spectacle in the world and looking forward to many more memories being made this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I remember the 1986 match between England and Argentina vividly. I had the cheap maradonna kit that most kids in Ireland had. Remember playing outside and being called in for the match. Remember every second and couldn’t understand the hand of god. I was absolutely mesmerized by his goal where he dribbled past everyone. From that moment I fell in love with Argentina and Mara Donna. Has been king ever since. Bizarrely I remember jaws was on after the match and I was allowed watch it. I was 7 in 1986 but my memory was like yesterday. Hooked on football ever since.

• Advertisement

France Germany 1982.

That assault by Schumacher on Battiston.

Followed by the penalty shoot out and Jimmy Magee introducing "Horst Hrubesch...the MAN they CALL the MONSTER"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I was lucky enough to attend the 1990 & 1994 World Cups. Nothing will ever beat Houghton's goal. Being in New York, being Irish, beating italy in a WC finals ..... and I still had about 16 days left and a couple of thousand dollars in my pocket.

As regards actual football, the games that stick out for me are France - Germany in '82: 6 Goals, extra time, a penalty shootout and an attempted murder, could you ask for more? Brazil in '82, even though they went out in the quarter final to a Rossi-inspired Italy were amazing to watch and I also had a soft spot for the Dutch team in '74 and '78 and obviously Diego in '86 stands out as the greatest individual contribution to the tournament.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sweden and Bulgaria in 1994, Croatia in 1998, the France v Brazil game in 2006 and Netherlands v Brazil in 2010. Brazil were so sure of themselves in that game...
    eagle eye wrote: »
    The last World Cup had the best group stages ever. The latter stages of it were pretty boring for the most part.

Group stages are the best part now with too many teams playing for penalties in the knock outs.

That spitting thing was Rudi Voller. It was Frank Rijkard that spat on him. Only reason I remember is dunphy doing an analysis of it saying "hold it there" and then usingthe white pen to show the spittle to the viewer. Was hilarious!

:o Course it was, the auld mind playing tricks on me

We used to have a Bobby Charlton-narrated video of all the previous world cup highlights when we were younger. Think it cam free with tokens from Weetabix or something. It was savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

In 2002 the Ireland Cameroon game kicked off at about 7 in the morning on a Saturday morning our time. Went to watch it in a friends house that a few of them were renting. There was about 20 people watching it and I was the only one that hadn't been up all the way through Friday night drinking. Not the ideal setting to try and watch a match . Some great celebrations when Ireland scored though.

Advertisement