Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal to ban from After Hours

Options
  • 22-05-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

I’ve been banned from After Hours by Pawwed Rig for 1 month which I would like to appeal. I have already discussed the ban with Pawwed Rig by PM without satisfactory resolution.

My post that gave rise to a ban was ’It's not a justification for his actions, however, if you play with fire, there is a risk of getting burnt.’ on the Jastine Valdez disappearance thread.

The reason I posted my message is because the poster I replied to seemed to think his (Hennessey’s) motivation does not matter and perhaps should not even be made known. Well, I think it does because it's what triggered such a horrific set of events. It does not justify his murder of Jastine, however, men who are trapped in a corner are liable to lash out in unpredictable ways.

It has already been reported by RTE that ‘Gardaí are examining a note found in the black Nissan Qashqai that was used in the disappearance of Jastine Valdez in an effort to establish a possible motive.’

My post was a follow-on to another poster who indicated he had inside information from the gardai about an affair between Hennessey and Jastine and threats by Jastine to disclose the affair to Hennessey’s wife. My response is effectively saying, if what this poster is saying is true then issuing threats that would devastate his life could give rise to blowback notwithstanding how disproportionate such actions may appear to a reasonable person. I did not introduce any speculation - what I said is simply common sense.

This has all been explained to Pawwed Rig by PM who has
    >Initially banned me from After Hours for one month for Trolling.
    >Then the reason for my ban was speculation.
    >Then the reason for my ban was ‘Your ban was for questioning the good name of a murder victim and hinting that it was her own fault for acting in a way that has no basis in fact.’

This is despite the fact that I have said in my posts that Hennessey was not justified in his actions regardless of the actions of Jastine.

Threatening to devastate someone’s life by disclosing an affair could give rise to drastic action to prevent such disclosure – it’s a dangerous game. That’s all my post is saying in a vague way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi kaymin,

I brought this to the attention of the local CMods. One should be along in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hello kaymin,

I will look into this for you.

May I please request that you share the PM conversation you had with the Mod please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Thanks Lein - sure I'll post them here tomorrow once I've access to a pc

PR:
    Dear kaymin,

You have been banned from After Hours for one month for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Pawwed Rig

Moderator Note

There are no words

K:
    Pawwed Rig,

I wasn't trolling. The sad reality is many men have resorted to killing themselves and others when their wife or partner wants to separate and the life that they have known will likely be lost. It's quite likely that Mark Hennessy felt like many of these men before him and took such terrible actions as a consequence. I do not condone his actions and said in my post it does not justify his actions, however, to deny that men might take such actions when facing the loss of the life / family they knew is to deny reality. I merely pointed out that threatening such men in a way that will result in the the loss of their family carries with it risks and moreso depending on the personality of the man.

Regards

Kaymin

PR:
    What you said 'It's not a justification for his actions, however, if you play with fire, there is a risk of getting burnt. '

How would a comment like that make you feel if your sister was the victim?

K:
    If it was my sister involved I would wonder why she threatened to tell his wife and whether she was blackmailing him (why else issue threats?). It is all speculation from another poster that there was an affair / threats which is why I deliberately used 'if' you play with fire. If it is true I think she should just have left him alone to deal with his issues with his wife - it is actually none of her business. However, she drove him to do the unspeakable by issuing threats that would, if carried out, most likely devastate his life.

The reason I posted my message is because the poster I replied to seemed to think his motivation does not matter and perhaps should not even be made known. Well, I think it does because it's what triggered such a horrific set of events. It does not justify his murder of Jastine, however, men who are trapped in a corner are liable to lash out in unpredictable ways.

You asked me to think about my post as if it was my sister murdered. That's the same problem with many of the other posters who don't consider the pressure and stress she placed Hennessey under when she threatened him. I felt I was introducing some balance to the discussion with my post while also acknowledging he is not justified in killing her regardless.

Is it not worth considering the position he was placed in to understand these horrible events? Of course my sympathy lies with Jastine, however, I can't help having a little sympathy for Hennessey if the affair / threats speculation is true.

PR:
    You have no idea of the position either person was in so anything you wrote is just speculation. We are not having speculation here. Have some respect for the poor girl.

K:
    But I was banned for trolling not speculation?

My post was a follow-on to another poster who indicated he had inside information from the gardai about an affair / threats My response went as far as effectively saying, if what this poster is saying is true then issuing threats that would devastate his life could give rise to blowback notwithstanding how disproportionate such actions may appear to a reasonable person. I did not introduce any speculation - what I said is simply commonsense.

PR:
    If? Could? - That is speculation.

You are not getting what I am saying to you and I can't make it any simpler so no point in debating this anymore.
    Your ban expires in a month.

Thanks kaymin.

I will look through this later this evening.

• Advertisement

I have reviewed the post and thread in which you received a ban.

I have to say, it was in extremely poor taste.....

How would you feel if the victim was your mother, sister, daughter, wife or girlfriend?

Can you see how your comment would cause outrage?

I know if it were me, I would be outraged by such a comment.
    kaymin wrote: »
    Threatening to devastate someone’s life by disclosing an affair could give rise to drastic action to prevent such disclosure – it’s a dangerous game. That’s all my post is saying in a vague way.

Even you have said in your op here, your post had zero basis for your comment.

LEIN wrote: »
    I have reviewed the post and thread in which you received a ban.

I have to say, it was in extremely poor taste.....

How would you feel if the victim was your mother, sister, daughter, wife or girlfriend?

Can you see how your comment would cause outrage?

I know if it were me, I would be outraged by such a comment.

But I wasn't banned for being distasteful?

If the rumours are true about the affair / threats / blackmail (as posted by other posters to the thread) then I would be appalled, however, I would understand Hennessey's motivation even if unacceptable.

I found the thread to be completely one-sided. As mentioned above, some posters feel Hennessey's motivation is irrelevant. I disagree hence my post in reply to one such poster.
    Even you have said in your op here, your post had zero basis for your comment.

That's not correct,

Threatening to devastate someone’s life by disclosing an affair could give rise to drastic action to prevent such disclosure – it’s a dangerous game

is another less descriptive way of saying
    if you play with fire, there is a risk of getting burnt.

It's disappointing and unfortunate that you can't see how your comment could and probably did upset others.

I will be upholding your original ban.

Your next step is admin review, if you wish to take further?

It's disappointing and unfortunate that you can't see how your comment could and probably did upset others.

I will be upholding your original ban.

Your next step is admin review, if you wish to take further?

Yes I can see how my common sense comment could cause outrage to the permanently outraged. I won't bother pursuing an admin review - seems pointless.

Thank you.

Resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement