Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you buy a house/flat?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Austria! wrote: »
    Thinking of buying something, is there anything I need to know not covered here?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/steps_involved_buying_a_home.html

Have you got cash or do you need to take out a loan/mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I have shares worth a house, but would ideally take out a mortgage instead of cashing out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Yeah, the whole thing doesn't tell you how viewings and dealing with estate agents are a massive pain in the hole.
    Are you looking for an investment or primary residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Residence. Realistically I'm single and late 20s so not looking for a forever home, so something cheap for a few years without the hassle/instability/cost of renting. I hear people talking about being first time buyer, is there some advantage to this, like you get a grant or discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Well, as a first time buyer you only require 10% deposit, while a second-time buyer requires 20%. Also there is the help-to-buy scheme for FTB only where you can claim a few bobs from revenue as far as I know but that only works for new-builds.
    When looking for a place that you're not planning to live in indefinitely pick something that you could see yourself in for at least 10 years in case the market turns for the worse and you're stuck. Also look into certain points that could impact your resale value, like connection to public transport, general area, management fees and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement