Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircome Homewatch - Simon 3 system

Options
  • 22-05-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if the Simon 3 system with mobile dialler is supposed to charge the back up battery? My 10 year old system starting beeping 'low battery' a few months ago and so I replaced it. The new battery also registered as 'low' but I left it in thinking the system would charge it. After a few weeks and the low battery warning still showing, I removed the battery (BS127N 12v-7.2amp) and hooked it up to a smart charger however it wouldn't charge, the charger didn't recognise it. I tested it with a volt meter and it showed 1.8v and I'm guessing that means its dead.

So my questions, (1) Should the alarm system charge the battery (it is a rechargeable battery) and (2) Even if the alarm system doesn't charge the battery, surely it should have been supplied fully charged and last more than 2 or 3 weeks?

The shop I bought it from are insisting they check all batteries before they leave the shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Can anyone tell me if the Simon 3 system with mobile dialler is supposed to charge the back up battery? My 10 year old system starting beeping 'low battery' a few months ago and so I replaced it. The new battery also registered as 'low' but I left it in thinking the system would charge it. After a few weeks and the low battery warning still showing, I removed the battery (BS127N 12v-7.2amp) and hooked it up to a smart charger however it wouldn't charge, the charger didn't recognise it. I tested it with a volt meter and it showed 1.8v and I'm guessing that means its dead.

So my questions, (1) Should the alarm system charge the battery (it is a rechargeable battery) and (2) Even if the alarm system doesn't charge the battery, surely it should have been supplied fully charged and last more than 2 or 3 weeks?

The shop I bought it from are insisting they check all batteries before they leave the shop.

Yes the system does charge the battery.
    Yes it should of been charged if new.
    Did you see him test the battery at point of sale?

Have you tested the leads coming from the alarm to the battery to see what voltage you are getting from the panel which charges the battery?

Advertisement