Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool vs Sea

Options
  • 22-05-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Once sea temperatures rise do you swap completely from the pool to the sea or do you keep up some pool sessions.

I ask, as last year I moved over completely and, as enjoyable as it was, I felt by the end of the summer that my swimming was not as strong as at the start - so thinking was it maybe the wrong move to drop the drills, sets, etc. (experience says yes, but could just be a coincidence).

Back in the sea again this year, but wondering should I keep up a couple of pool sessions a week and limit the sea swimming.

Any advice appreciated on whether it makes a difference or not.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I wouldn't drop the pool. Easier to control conditions in the pool and work to improve our swimming. Also easier to measure your effort. Open water swimming is important but I wouldnt sacrifice pool swimming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

was it maybe the wrong move to drop the drills, sets, etc.

Why not do drills, sets, etc. in the sea? If intensity and technique practice get you faster in the pool, then...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Why not do drills, sets, etc. in the sea? If intensity and technique practice get you faster in the pool, then...

Didn't think of that - will try it later in week and see how it goes. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Hi guys,

Once sea temperatures rise do you swap completely from the pool to the sea or do you keep up some pool sessions.

I ask, as last year I moved over completely and, as enjoyable as it was, I felt by the end of the summer that my swimming was not as strong as at the start - so thinking was it maybe the wrong move to drop the drills, sets, etc. (experience says yes, but could just be a coincidence).

Back in the sea again this year, but wondering should I keep up a couple of pool sessions a week and limit the sea swimming.

Any advice appreciated on whether it makes a difference or not.

Thanks.

Totally agree with you on this. I did the same thing and swam outdoors all summer then when it was time to get back in the pool in September I couldn't believe the difference in my speed and endurance. The buoyancy stemming from the wetsuit and the salinity of sea water really gives you a false sense of your capabilities. So this year I am going to keep up at least one pool session a week. Im not entirely sold on the idea of trying technique swim sets outdoors, its not something I have much experience in and I find it easier to do that in the pool where the lengths are for obvious reasons clearly defined. If you're swimming 3 times a week id say 1 pool session a week would suffice to keep you ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pool gets dropped like hot snot.

2 or 3 sea swims before work during the week is much more enjoyable than pool work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Why not do drills, sets, etc. in the sea?

Nothing wrong with one hundred fast strokes, twenty easy, etc., but there's a big risk of getting cold in Irish seas if you're going to be farting about doing drills. It's not something I'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

zico10 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with one hundred fast strokes, twenty easy, etc., but there's a big risk of getting cold in Irish seas if you're going to be farting about doing drills. It's not something I'd do.

Maybe too cold a month ago, but sea temps are fine now. I was doing wide arm catch-up for a while last night, in a bit of surf. Took a while to get the hang of wave timing but useful all the same. More useful than a summer filled only with long steady sea swims, which is my point... I get the impression a lot of triathletes leave behind sets, drills, intensity; in favour of steady distance sea swims Apr-Sep, and then wonder why their swimming hasn't improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

I find pool great for drills and strength, and sea for a more 'enjoyable' swim. Drills were key more breaking up training sessions for IM and more variety. Pool clearly more convenient if you're not dependent on tides. Wetsuit swim always a piece of cake compared to pool, especially over longer distance. Of course if you were doing an event with decent swell or tide then the sea will really help with sighting and breathing in chop or waves. Not like you can use the sea all year anyway so make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I'm inclined to treat sea sessions as bonus sessions rather than my core training. As long as you get yourself comfortable with being in the sea on a regular basis, then you should be fine for your Tri events. But the pool is so much easier to measure what you've actually done

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Got a nice 3k in the sea last night, not much chop or swell so incorporated some of Zico10 suggestion ..
    zico10 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with one hundred fast strokes, twenty easy

Thanks guys - so, won't drop the pool completely and will keep a mix of the two up for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Meant to say the sea swims, especially the leinster open sea (a few of them this season are formally wetsuit optional) are good for the argy bargy that can come with a race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd fully agree with Diego, treat them as a near bonus session that tops up your normal swimming. Change of scenery from the pool is nice and can be good to get into the sea and get used to the temperature and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

At the end of the day you can't compare open water swim with pool swim.  It is a different "sport" as such. I like to combine both.  Swap one of the pool swims for a sea swim.  At the end of the day when going out in the sea one needs to be more careful.  Safety should be priority over everything.

Advertisement