Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if my apartment building is destroyed?

Options
  • 22-05-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

If I own an apartment and the building were to be destroyed by fire, structural failure or perhaps condemned, what would happen?

I know that's a very vague question and there are probably many answers depending on circumstances but I'm interested to know how this works and would home insurance cover some of the scenarios above?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The building will have block insurance. You would pay into that as part of the management fees.

That covers insurance claims in the common areas and anything that affects the building. I don’t think you would get a mortgage if the block weren’t insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

If I own an apartment and the building were to be destroyed by fire, structural failure or perhaps condemned, what would happen?

I know that's a very vague question and there are probably many answers depending on circumstances but I'm interested to know how this works and would home insurance cover some of the scenarios above?

Yup, block policies have cover in the 10s of millions of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Thanks, I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Askthe EA wrote:
    Yup, block policies have cover in the 10s of millions of euro.

Does apartment owner still need separate insurance for contents or would block insurance pay for more than just rebuilding the actual building? I'm thinking kitchen units, bathroom fittings and then general furniture?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, you still need contents' insurance

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You should have block insurance which the omc purchases each year. This will insure the building including your apartment. The policy covers everything there from day 1 when you first walked in assuming you bought new. It also provides emergency accommodation, but not for tenants, just owners where building is uninhabitable.

You should have full contents insurance for all your stuff.

You can get details of the policy from your omc. Depending on your block the premium will be between 5k and as much as 50k or more each year paid through service fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Also the excess for claiming on block insurance can be anywhere between 2.5k-10k so it would not be prudent to claim for a leaking shower (unless it's on the top floor of a 10 story building and it's been leaking for a month) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Condemned wouldn't be covered by insurance, it's up to the OMC (Owners) to maintain a proper sinking fund and make sure the place is properly maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Condemned wouldn't be covered by insurance, it's up to the OMC (Owners) to maintain a proper sinking fund and make sure the place is properly maintained.

Structural failure could be a grey area as well. A building defect this could be classified as which is also exempted.

Check the policy! The omc should spend a lot of time discussing these with the insurers.

Advertisement