Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are the 2015 no voters now?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

road_high wrote: »
    There's a common theme with them all usually- No to contraception, no to Divorce, no to Gay Marriage, no to Abortion....you can see the pattern here.

That's not a pattern of anything. That's you seeing what you want to see and making what you want of it. Plenty of young people outright reject using any form of contraception, preferring to take their chances on the basis that "it won't happen to them", plenty of old people in the same boat too preferring to err on the side of throwing caution to the wind. That's certainly not limited to any particular demographic.

Plenty of people voted against divorce because it meant a threat to them losing their wealth and access to their children.

Plenty of people voted against marriage equality (it wasn't "gay marriage" people were being asked to vote on), for reasons stated previously - assimilation into a heteronormative society and what they considered a "patriarchal institution" that there is no place for in a modern society, an institution which has no regard for the diversity of modern families in Ireland.

And finally - abortion. Opinions couldn't be more divided, there really isn't any sort of a pattern can be determined either from those who either agree or disagree with legislating for broadening our laws in Ireland in relation to abortion, and one would want to be fairly blinkered to imagine the diversity of opinions regarding the issue of abortion could be so easily and neatly categorised into any specific groups in Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No?

exactly. it's a tiny minority who would vote no to all of those.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thing is it's too early to say.

Come back in about 10 years time and there'll be loads of kids traumatised by adoption into gay marriages :mad:

It'll be either twice as many dad jokes or an endless loop of "ask your mother"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Our constitution is a mess; we have made 34 Ammendments to it, most of them in the last 20 years.

I never felt FG gave a flying fcuk about gay rights; the referendum was a chance to mobilse young voters and box FF into a corner. And it worked.

There was no reason we couldn't have legislated for it, like US States that have done so.

For Jesus freaks the opening page of our constitution might make good reading but for a Republic it is quite something

Bunreacht na hÉireann
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom
    is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all
    actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our
    Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers
    through centuries of trial,
    Gratefully remembering their heroic and
    unremitting struggle to regain the rightful
    independence of our Nation,
    And seeking to promote the common good, with
    due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so
    that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be
    assured, true social order attained, the unity of our
    country restored, and concord established with other
    nations,
    Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this
    Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

eeguy wrote: »
    S
    I'm going to vote yes on Friday, but personally I disagree with on demand abortion entirely.
    This ^^^

You can be pro choice and anti-abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess most of those who voted NO in 2015 will also be voting NO this Friday.

Yes I would think so too. Surprised to see so many young people campaigning against the abortion referendum, I don't recall seeing that at the marriage referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

This ^^^

You can be pro choice and anti-abortion.

I'm not mad about the practice either as are a lot of other people. I'm surprised the no side did not make more of this rather than adopt entrenched positions that only appeal to their core support who would vote no anyway. They've ran a poor campaign I'm my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'm not mad about the practice either as are a lot of other people. I'm surprised the no side did not make more of this rather than adopt entrenched positions that only appeal to their core support who would vote no anyway. They've ran a poor campaign I'm my opinion.

I’m in the same boat. I hate the idea of abortion but realize it’s not for me to decide on the many many different life situations it involves. Therefore I’m an absolute Yes on Friday.
    Also think the 8 th Amendment is a very poor piece of legislation and seeks to do the impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know some of them and they softened to a lot but there's no softening to Friday!

Softened but never enough to vote Yes to anything remotely considered liberal...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Turnout wasn't huge for the gay marriage Ref. It was most important to a few trendies in the Irish Times and on twatter. This referendum is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Turnout wasn't huge for the gay marriage Ref. It was most important to a few trendies in the Irish Times and on twatter. This referendum is different.

From a look at the wiki page for Irish referendums, turnout was the highest for a referendum since 1992.

It was a 7% higher turnout than the 83 referendum to bring in the 8th.

Turnout was under 5% less than the last general election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They were all forced to have a gay wedding themselves, so hopefully they’re happy fabulous now.

Fixed your post

That's not a pattern of anything. That's you seeing what you want to see and making what you want of it. Plenty of young people outright reject using any form of contraception, preferring to take their chances on the basis that "it won't happen to them", plenty of old people in the same boat too preferring to err on the side of throwing caution to the wind. That's certainly not limited to any particular demographic.

Did you just say that young people are against contraception because they want to take a risk? Because if you're taking about them just not bothering that's not the same as being against contraception being available.

You sure you're not seeing what you want to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

What was interesting about that was two of the anti gay marraige men who debated it fiercely were gay men!.

Paddy Manning was one forget the other guys name.
    Keith Mills who went to the Eurovision instead of voting (one of the main bods in the pro gay marriage campaign was there with him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

2 million people voted.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Did you just say that young people are against contraception because they want to take a risk? Because if you're taking about them just not bothering that's not the same as being against contraception being available.

You sure you're not seeing what you want to see?

Bit more nuanced than that Grayson. I said there are plenty of young people who outright reject contraception, and to expand on that I've heard every excuse from they reduce sensitivity to being allergic to latex to safe sex being boring, forgetting to take the pill to it feels weird. Not bothering would mean they were simply indifferent or disinterested in using contraception, but no, an outright rejection of it is exactly their attitudes towards using contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Still hiding in Ghey proof panic rooms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Still recognise some of the user names I debated with back in 2015. I do wonder if they've changed their position but either way now it doesn't matter.

I feel like a few minds were changed on the day of the referendum passing. People really saw what it meant to people when it passed. Every now and then I watch this video to remind myself what a fantastic day it was when it passed.

Bit more nuanced than that Grayson. I said there are plenty of young people who outright reject contraception, and to expand on that I've heard every excuse from they reduce sensitivity to being allergic to latex to safe sex being boring, forgetting to take the pill to it feels weird. Not bothering would mean they were simply indifferent or disinterested in using contraception, but no, an outright rejection of it is exactly their attitudes towards using contraception.

Not really. You replied to a post that mentioned people against divorce, against contraception, etc.

Someone not using it for personal reasons doesn't want it illegal. You're really stretching it to make it the case.

If we say people who are against contraception include the the people who don't want to use it then you could make me an anti divorce & anti abortion. I really don't want to experience either but I believe they should be available.

Grayson wrote: »
    Not really. You replied to a post that mentioned people against divorce, against contraception, etc.

Someone not using it for personal reasons doesn't want it illegal. You're really stretching it to make it the case.

If we say people who are against contraception include the the people who don't want to use it then you could make me an anti divorce & anti abortion. I really don't want to experience either but I believe they should be available.

They're saying no to contraception for personal reasons, who said anything about the legality or otherwise of any of these things? I have no doubt for example you're surely aware of people who are pro-choice but are voting no to repealing the 8th amendment in the upcoming referendum?

My point really in replying to that posters claims of a pattern is that people aren't nearly so easy to categorise in such simplistic terms. They have a whole variety of nuanced opinions on an infinite number of social topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

road_high wrote: »
    There's a common theme with them all usually- No to contraception, no to Divorce, no to Gay Marriage, no to Abortion....you can see the pattern here.

No to unnecessary capitalisation of nouns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I voted Yes to Same Sex Marriage but I have to say the day in Dublin Castle with Leo in his casual blazer, pantii, Gerry Adams, etc was a little to gay for me but apart from that no issues!

Advertisement