Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue with holidays

Options
  • 22-05-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I work in an IT job where my shifts are 3 days on, 2 days off, and have been saving my paid holidays for an extended trip away with my gf.
    It would be 8 paid days off in total and mentioned it to my boss a few months back and told me to just fill in our usual PTO Form and ask him to sign it closer to the time.
    So last week I filled it in and he told me his boss is now the one approving time off requests and she needs to sign off on it but had refused my request.
    I told my boss the purpose of the trip was to propose to my gf and the holiday was all inclusive and non refundable, I have paid near 8k for this. He was very sympathetic and saod he would have approved it no prob but his boss still refused.
    Just before Christmas another person on my team took 11 pto days off in a row and we werent informed of any changes to the lengths we were allowed to take at a time.

Any ideas what my options are here???
    It’s a very expensive loss if I cant go and would seriously consider resigning over it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Steven Seagal

testicles wrote: »

Near 2 years now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dog tired

Can you ask your boss's boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Any explanation given for the refusal? Did you speak to whoever is approving the holidays and state you were verbally given approval already etc?

• Advertisement

dog tired wrote: »
    Can you ask your boss's boss?

My boss’s boss, the woman who refused my PTO is the global manager of our team so the only other option was to say it to HR, and they told me only she can approve them now.

Any explanation given for the refusal? Did you speak to whoever is approving the holidays and state you were verbally given approval already etc?

All she told me was it was too long to take in one go and she just walked off.
    Unfortunately, she is quite tough to deal with in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I may have this issue in July, do you mind me asking where you quoted that from? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Unpaid leave??

Unfortunately, she is wuiet tough to deal with in general.

Make a complaint to HR and insist on the leave you were verbally approved for. Assuming they won't budge you can take your holiday and try and fight any disciplinary when you return. Or quit of course.

• Advertisement

moloner4 wrote: »
    I may have this issue in July, do you mind me asking where you quoted that from? Thanks :)

Nowhere, you have no entitlement to unbroken leave

moloner4 wrote: »

The Organisation of working time Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Make a complaint to HR and insist on the leave you were verbally approved for. Assuming they won't budge you can take your holiday and try and fight any disciplinary when you return. Or quit of course.

Or call in sick?

Nowhere, you have no entitlement to unbroken leave

You shure about that.

Unfortunately, she is quite tough to deal with in general.

Do your company allow you to swap shifts? If so, could you swap your shift in the middle of the pto so it becomes two PTO requests for 2 days and another for 3 days. When you get back (or before you go) you work the 3 days of your colleagues shift and while you're away, he covers you for the 3 days.

Her excuse is pretty crappy though and my next step would be HR.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You shure about that.

Not any more! I think there is wiggle room for the employer to contact out of it for operational reasons but I can't find it.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Or call in sick?

Whatever chance you have or arguing your case based in a verbal agreement would disappear if you called in sick and they could easily fire you.

Do your company allow you to swap shifts? If so, could you swap your shift in the middle of the pto so it becomes two PTO requests for 2 days and another for 3 days. When you get back (or before you go) you work the 3 days of your colleagues shift and while you're away, he covers you for the 3 days.

Her excuse is pretty crappy though and my next step would be HR.

I travel on a Monday so have already swapped shifts for 2 days, where I work a sat and sunday and the team member I swapped with does my mon and tues then the PTO kicks in from Wednesday.

lesson here is don't book holiday trips until you have confirmed the time off.

lesson here is don't book holiday trips until you have confirmed the time off.

I had verbal approval from my manager from months back so thought it would be enough 😞

• Advertisement

Not any more! I think there is wiggle room for the employer to contact out of it for operational reasons but I can't find it.

It maybe there for part time or casual work but I know that for full time employees the two week unbroken leave is stipulated for.
    At the discretion of the employer with regards to time of year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I had verbal approval from my manager from months back so thought it would be enough 😞

Something similar happened to my boss. He got approved and then a few days before they made him stay. As far as I was aware, as they went back on there promise, they covered all the costs for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you work in a role where there are plenty of jobs, I'd hand in my notice stating the reason why you're leaving.

But try and sort it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

Go on your holidays, when you are as old as I am, you will look back and wonder why you even worried about this. How dare she stop you. Enjoy life and dont let some rotten boss stop you. She must be some sour bitter person, it is the summer people entitled to go on holidays. Never ever let another person treat you like this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Op, she sounds like a very poor manager if that is the response you got. I'm not saying she should have granted it but a sit down and explanation would have shown respect to you and leadership on her part. Plenty of jobs around at the minute in your area.

Hand in your notice, go on hols, propose and make sure you emphasis in the wedding speech how your new wife cost you a job. :)

Section 19(3) of the Organisation of Working Act, 1997 refers.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/section/19/enacted/en/html#sec19

Incorrect. There's no wiggle room either, per your other post.

There is wiggle room in the act

subject to the provisions of any employment regulation order, registered employment agreement, collective agreement or any agreement between the employee and his or her employer

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

What stopped you from formally booking the leave before dropping massive euros for the holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Always get email backup when asking for leave. Im surprised she said too long..more and more companies are insisting a min or 5 to 10 days leave must be taken together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So I work in an IT job where my shifts are 3 days on, 2 days off, and have been saving my paid holidays for an extended trip away with my gf.
    It would be 8 paid days off in total and mentioned it to my boss a few months back and told me to just fill in our usual PTO Form and ask him to sign it closer to the time.
    So last week I filled it in and he told me his boss is now the one approving time off requests and she needs to sign off on it but had refused my request.
    I told my boss the purpose of the trip was to propose to my gf and the holiday was all inclusive and non refundable, I have paid near 8k for this. He was very sympathetic and saod he would have approved it no prob but his boss still refused.
    Just before Christmas another person on my team took 11 pto days off in a row and we werent informed of any changes to the lengths we were allowed to take at a time.

Any ideas what my options are here???
    It’s a very expensive loss if I cant go and would seriously consider resigning over it.

You work 3 on two off?
    How many hours a day

Advertisement