Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue with holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Steven Seagal

_brendand_ wrote: »
    What stopped you from formally booking the leave before dropping massive euros for the holiday?

We can only do 6 month blocs for holidays, winter and summer.
    Tigger wrote: »
    You work 3 on two off?
    How many hours a day

It’s 12 hour shifts then we hand over to the US at the end of each shift.
    So we either do 36 or 48hrs per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

We can only do 6 month blocs for holidays, winter and summer. /quote]

So what happens when staff get married and want to go on honeymoom straight away after it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

We can only do 6 month blocs for holidays, winter and summer.

It’s 12 hour shifts then we hand over to the US at the end of each shift.
    So we either do 36 or 48hrs per week.

I don’t understand
    If you work Monday Tuesday Wednesday
    Off Thursday Friday
    On sat Sunday
    That’s 60 hours
    Next week on m
    Off t w
    On t f s
    Off s that’s 48
    Next week
    In that pattern is 48 again ?
    Are Sunday’s free or something !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

How many days will you be off in total? I assume that if you are using 8 days holidays, but you work 3 on, 2 off and you've swapped days with another employee, you will be off for a few weeks? Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

testicles wrote: »
    Not in this case, there is no employment regulation order, registered employment agreement, collective agreement and there's certainly no agreement between the employee and his or her employer

There is however 'custom and practice', which has been illustrated by another member of staff, less than 6 months ago getting the 11 consecutive days off.

The op should get in touch with WRC/Nera and have a word with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I could understand if you were working in the catering industry and wanted to take Xmas and New Year off but IT - seriously, what is so important that it could not wait 2 weeks? If it is so important why do they not have a back up in case of sickness etc.
    Seems like someone just being a so and so for the sake of it especially knowing the purpose of the trip.
    My sentiments with a lot of the other posters above - is this job really worth it, but makes it harder applying for a new job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP if you want to take 8 days holidays would that be a 3 day week plus a 2 day week then a 3 day week? So would you be gone for a full 3 weeks?

Do you have an employee handbook - what does it say about when/how to request holidays.

You are entitled to 2 weeks unbroken after 8 months in any leave year - some companies run a leave year from jan to dec & some from your start date so it depends. When was your last holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It sounds pretty clear cut.

You were told you could have the time off by your senior (whatever about them not checking THEIR senior is on their head).

You booked a non-refundable trip based on the promise that you would have the time off.

You cannot get the money back, and the company (represented via the senior above you) had promised you would have the time off, so you HAVE to go on the trip.

If the head boss makes it an issue, I'd seriously consider moving company after returning from the trip. There are much better IT companies out there.

Thanks for all the replies, my immediate manager asked me this morning what I was going to do if I couldn’t get this approved and told him it would leave me no choice but to look for a new job. He wasn’t surprised and told me he would push as much as he could but not to be expecting good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Thanks for all the replies, my immediate manager asked me this morning what I was going to do if I couldn’t get this approved and told him it would leave me no choice but to look for a new job. He wasn’t surprised and told me he would push as much as he could but not to be expecting good news.

Your better off out of there, that's an awful way to treat an employee. Enjoy your holiday and wish you well with the proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

jamesbere wrote: »
    Your better off out of there, that's an awful way to treat an employee. Enjoy your holiday and wish you well with the proposal.

To be fair, this policy applies in most workplaces. You don't book expensive holidays until you have confirmation that you have the days off. From my reading of the op, his boss didn't actually confirm the leave when asked earlier in the year, the op was told to submit the request and has only done so recently.

The op telling the boss that he is going to leave probably won't help, his boss is now in a difficult situation. If they allow the op the AL, everyone in future will use the same threat if they don't get the days they want, the bosses may be afraid to set that precedent and may just say to the op, "off you go" in order to lay down a marker.

There is of course another possibility, considering the boss knew in advance and knows the importance of the days to the op, they may actually be hoping the op leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You were dead right in doing so. I hate that carry on when it comes to companies forgetting about life/work balance. As if you were born to spend your days in there.

As others have said, there's better out there, especially in IT.

This could be the best thing that ever happened to you OP.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Its up to the company to provide cover not you. The way the economy is now the employees have much more power than in d recession than the employer . Id hold them to randsom and say if you dont give the 2 weeks off good luck. Plenty of IT companys around. Id say the msnager who you had a verbal agreement with leave and who said he wouldnt blame you for leaving could give you a refrence sounds like a descent manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

When do you need to go away and when does your holiday period reset, is it jan-dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP, there's always another job. I am working doing up a Hospice at the moment and every now and again you'd get stopped by someone fr a quick chat, I am looking at people at the end of their life and they all say "Make sure you don't work too hard" and it really puts things into perspective.

Go on your hols and don't give a fiddlers. Hard to imagine being like that but I think you'll get a slap on the wrist and on you go. Wont matter in the grans scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tell them to poke the job, you gave plenty of notice, and loads of time to sort out cover, you're not asking for 6 months off like. With any luck they'll value you enough to see sense, if not their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, this policy applies in most workplaces. You don't book expensive holidays until you have confirmation that you have the days off. From my reading of the op, his boss didn't actually confirm the leave when asked earlier in the year, the op was told to submit the request and has only done so recently.

The op telling the boss that he is going to leave probably won't help, his boss is now in a difficult situation. If they allow the op the AL, everyone in future will use the same threat if they don't get the days they want, the bosses may be afraid to set that precedent and may just say to the op, "off you go" in order to lay down a marker.

There is of course another possibility, considering the boss knew in advance and knows the importance of the days to the op, they may actually be hoping the op leaves.

I agree up to point but his manager shouldn't of said it would be ok if there was going to be an issue. Even though verbal agreements aren't aren't totally binding it will still give the employee an impression the time off is ok to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd actually consider a meeting with a solicitor if I was in the ops position.

approved leave
    book 8k non refundable holidays
    cancel leave

that said the verbal aproval may be worth the paper its written on in terms of legal action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

approved leave
    cancel leave

But was leave approved? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but wasn't op told to put in a written request, which was only recently submitted after holiday booked?

Legally, holiday leave dates are at the discretion of the employer, taking into account family considerations, but this could hardy qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

You need to request a meeting with your bosses boss, explain in a clear, calm and rational way what has transpired.
    Apologise for the misunderstanding, nobodies fault etc, and then give her an option to reflect and to approve leave.

If she argues with facts (such as company procedure etc) - use emotion (ie intent to propose, financial burden etc)
    If she argues with emotion (no cover for the company etc) - use facts.

Either way she will respect you more for addressing the issue head on in a calm and measured way.

If you don't get approved, hand in your notice with your head held-high, but do so having worked towards a solution (as opposed to throwing toys out of the pram).

Also - remember its a pain in the ass for the company to replace you too. A couple of weeks inconvenience is a small price to pay.

Finally, if you do leave - make sure to do an exit interview with HR and explain exactly the circumstances for your departure. (If I found out one of my managers behaved this way they would face disciplinary.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You sure they don't want you to hand in your notice?

approved leave
    cancel leave

that said the verbal aproval may be worth the paper its written on in terms of legal action

Got rejected fully a half an hour ago and the Sept schedule was sent out with me on it for the days I was hoping to be off.
    I’ll try and schedule a meeting with my immediate manager and HR but sadly our only HR representative for the irish office is very difficult to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Got rejected fully a half an hour ago and the Sept schedule was sent out with me on it for the days I was hoping to be off.
    I’ll try and schedule a meeting with my immediate manager and HR but sadly our only HR representative for the irish office is very difficult to deal with.
    I'd be leaving, but I wouldn't tell them that until the day before you go off on holiday.

Pelvis wrote: »
    You sure they don't want you to hand in your notice?

I wouldn’t think so as it’s quite a small team and training up someone new on our systems can take a very long time.
    Our team of 5 has never had the support of the manager that rejected my request and we had some heated meetings as a whole but I can’t think of any personal reasons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you want to go on leave, then stop pussy footing around!

Send an email to all three of them, inform them that based on the verbal approval of your manager you have already booked your holidays and they now have a choice of either confirming your leave or fulling compensating you for all your costs. The alternative is that you will seek legal advice on how to recover your costs from the company or failing that from them individually.

Personally I find that nothing brings managers to their sense so quickly as when they realise they many have to justify their actions in a court of law and will not be able to hide by hind their company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

HR person hard to deal with.
    Manager approving holidays hard to deal with.
    IT workers, assuming you've some skills that aren't in huge supply.

All those things above......get out of there. They don't care about you.
    I'm self employed for years. Worked hard but took all the holidays and time off I want. Could never go back to this bull**** again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

All she told me was it was too long to take in one go and she just walked off.
    Unfortunately, she is quite tough to deal with in general.

Sounds like a right bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

"small team and training up someone new on our systems can take a very long time"

This should make you very valuable to the company, and it seems like they aren't valuing you at all.

Tell them you booked it after your direct report said there would be no problem with the leave. If they won't play ball hand in your notice exactly one month before your trip, head off, get engaged an enjoy it. Spend the summer interviewing for a job with a company that will value you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You've got a great story to tell at the wedding ;)

Advertisement