Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue with holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Steven Seagal

Good man for sticking to your guns, you will no doubt be much happier for it. Plenty of great IT jobs around also. Hope the proposal goes well!!

Thanks alot, the work environment has been extremely sour but i’m glad I made the call to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thanks alot, the work environment has been extremely sour but i’m glad I made the call to leave.

I’d imagine it’s sour because your manager got a bollocking for their handling of this. They’re probably pissed off that you took it so far and they are left carrying the can.
    You should make it very clear in the exit interview exactly what happened to save others the hassle in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

salmocab wrote: »

I’d imagine it’s sour because your manager got a bollocking for their handling of this. They’re probably pissed off that you took it so far and they are left carrying the can.
    You should make it very clear in the exit interview exactly what happened to save others the hassle in future.

If it's any consolation your manager probs lost his bonus 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think even if they had approved it, I'd have left anyway.

Company culture comes from the top down, so you'd assume, more jobsworth policies will follow.

...typical outcome is to destroy a good working environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I just want to drop in and say fair play !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Sorry for the delay, long story short, the meeting turned into a lot of he said, she said about approving time off. I contacted the colleague who had a longer PTO request approved last year and he agreed he would provide testimony if I wanted to take this further.
    Once upper management heard I handed in my notice, they said I could take 2 weeks PTO paid plus 1 extra day but no longer than that.
    So I stuck to my guns and im leaving friday week.
    I also have an exit interview planned on Monday and I heard that the EU director of operations sits in so will make it perfectly clear of what happened.

Thank you for the update, and congratulations on the engagement, and good luck with your the new job hunt.

I would just say that as tempting as it will be, don't burn bridges, be professional (even though your manager failed to be), and don't get side-tracked into unimportant arguments in relation to your reasons for leaving. Ireland can be a surprisingly small country sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

some people really shouldn't be managers, fair play to you op think you've handled this really well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

well done op. will you keep us posted RE the exit interview please?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    some people really shouldn't be managers, fair play to you op think you've handled this really well

Tin gods and sad little people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Fair play, let us know how the exit interview goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

that.
    So I stuck to my guns and im leaving friday week.

All I can say is...your girlfriend better say yes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Fair play to you OP, too many people let their job dictate their life's only to regret it when there older.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Women in general tend to be worse managers despite the whole gender equality thing.
    You can be guaranteed she’ll shift the whole blame for this onto his immediate manager and while he could he handled it better at the end of the day she was the one who said NO.
    Fair play op and best of luck in the future !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Blazer wrote: »
    Women in general tend to be worse managers despite the whole gender equality thing.
    You can be guaranteed she’ll shift the whole blame for this onto his immediate manager and while he could he handled it better at the end of the day she was the one who said NO.

Ah come on, what absolute tosh. I have had male and female managers, and am now a manager myself, and I found good and bad in both. But in general, I found the women better. Plus my staff all stay with our company long-term so I'm taking that as a plus for me :D

Male managers in my place are knobs.

Female managers are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Ah come on, what absolute tosh. I have had male and female managers, and am now a manager myself, and I found good and bad in both. But in general, I found the women better. Plus my staff all stay with our company long-term so I'm taking that as a plus for me :D

You can't say what a load of tosh and act offended when he said that men are better managers than women then go on yourself and say women are better than men!!
    Wheres the equality!!!!! In many cases women managers are token appointments!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well done OP.

Did similar 12 months ago over a similar case of manager's manager (let's call him X) getting involved and trampling over my manager who was new and scared. Got moved by director but left as I was sickened by several aspects of it all.

Went agency for 6 months while I landed what I wanted and happy out now.

It's been said but don't burn bridges. I see you have the chance to talk to your buddy's boss. Be very professional and factual. Rehearse the exit interview.

All industry is small here. During one interview X's name came up as being known. Got offered the job but i turned down due to location. Director there told me that X had badmouthed me off the record. Had to call old director, he was very apologetic and put X in his place. I was on great terms with all but X.

You can't say what a load of tosh and act offended when he said that men are better managers than women then go on yourself and say women are better than men!!

Feminazis are everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Feminazis are everywhere

Seem to be! And breaking all their own rules too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mod

this is not after hours.

quit with the nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I told them I would have no option but to leave as I wasn’t not going to take the holiday. The US mananger immediately ended the meeting and scheduled another meeting next week with HR.
    I also have an exit interview planned on Monday and I heard that the EU director of operations sits in so will make it perfectly clear of what happened.
    I like how each meeting a more senior person is in the meeting. How did the meeting on Monday go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I think the moral of the story here is, how an issue that should have been handled in house with 'manager A' (should have and could have been resolved here at this stage)

Instead 'manager B' wanted there say and instead of standing by the 'manager A' decision rightly or wrongly I might add, has now escalated a situation so badly, you've an employee leaving, and EU Director of Operations wanting to talk to said employee.

Sorry, 'manager B' has caused a cluster fúck of a situation, and is a so called 'senior manager'. I have a feeling and I noticed this with a lot of US workers, they never back down, the senior manager should have known from experience this was going to end badly, there was a commitment made to the employee, and instead of getting facts and handling the situation based on that and then doing an as they call it in corporate world 'lessons learn' after, the manager B steam rolled ahead and wouldn't back down and admit they where wrong.

I'd say someone is going to get there arse handed to them on plate by the EU director and rightly so. It's time off here we are talking about, easy to handle and no fuss. But somehow two managers have made such a cluster fúck out of it an employee is leaving and leaving the EU director thinking is this fella going to come back with an unfair dismissle case against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

On the other hand, the moral of the story could also be, do not book an expensive holiday until you have submitted the required written request and received confirmation.

davo10 wrote: »
    On the other hand, the moral of the story could also be, do not book an expensive holiday until you have submitted the required written request and received confirmation.

For the last time OP had received approval the same way he'd received approval before. So there was a pattern that this was an acceptable practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

For the last time OP had received approval the same way he'd received approval before. So there was a pattern that this was an acceptable practice.

Verbal, not written, if you look back at the ops posts, he/she was told to submit a written request. Had the op received written approval, it would have been more difficult for the employer to dispute.

davo10 wrote: »

Verbal, not written, if you look back at the ops posts, he/she was told to submit a written request.

Still and accepted practice, and a verbal agreement is just as binding 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

The Op's manager admitted he verbally agreed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Never had any issue with verbal holidays then reminding them closer to the time and it was put in 'writing', any issues would be sorted in at matter of mins.

OP, got verbal confirmation, then went to confirm within what I personally would extra advanced booking of said holidays. 'Manager B' was been an arse if you ask me.

The other moral of the story could also be don't verbal give someone holidays if your not sure of doing it.

Another moral of the story could be for managers like 'manager b' is to use a bit of discretion and cop on.

Another one could be for continental managers to have a bit of local understanding on how things are done within that region, maybe in America it's not okay to go on verbal acceptance of offer but in Ireland and or in the Irish office it might actually be okay to that.

Shall we continue on with our moral of the stories? Either way, I am siding with the OP. OP has gone and done the correct thing and got out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

TallGlass wrote: »
    I think the moral of the story here is, how an issue that should have been handled in house with 'manager A' (should have and could have been resolved here at this stage)

Instead 'manager B' wanted there say and instead of standing by the 'manager A' decision rightly or wrongly I might add, has now escalated a situation so badly, you've an employee leaving, and EU Director of Operations wanting to talk to said employee.

Sorry, 'manager B' has caused a cluster fúck of a situation, and is a so called 'senior manager'. I have a feeling and I noticed this with a lot of US workers, they never back down, the senior manager should have known from experience this was going to end badly, there was a commitment made to the employee, and instead of getting facts and handling the situation based on that and then doing an as they call it in corporate world 'lessons learn' after, the manager B steam rolled ahead and wouldn't back down and admit they where wrong.

I'd say someone is going to get there arse handed to them on plate by the EU director and rightly so. It's time off here we are talking about, easy to handle and no fuss. But somehow two managers have made such a cluster fúck out of it an employee is leaving and leaving the EU director thinking is this fella going to come back with an unfair dismissle case against us.

I think it's a work culture thing in the U.S.

They're all extremely rigid with rules and make no exceptions (even when the exception is logical).

Purely anecdotal of course but having dealt with them in 3 separate companies it's refreshing not having to work alongside them and having to deal with the politics/drama that seems to accompany them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm surprised that the company let it get to this stage - they would appear to have lost a good employee and the OP has lost a job! Seems to show a complete lack of common sense!

Advertisement