Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue with holidays

Options

Comments

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i am in fact concerned for all humans and our planet, equally, labour cannot keep footing the bill for all our social needs

Corporation tax, CGT etc all agree with you.
    Did you see the water charge protests? If more of the protesters agreed with you we'd be btter off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Augeo wrote: »
    Once we don't have an increasing number of spongers and non contributors as opposed to genuinely can't contributors there won't be a problem.

Differentiating between the two can be cloudy of course.

once again, 'spongers', your mask is slipping! please research the root causes of unemployment, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

If you tax the rich they will just go elsewhere because yanno they're rich.

Corporations shouldn't be punished for stimulating economic growth are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm happy to be taxed a bit more to get the services I am entitled to, but then i'm up north an Medical is free.

For now. ;););)

Did you see the water charge protests? If more of the protesters agreed with you we'd be btter off too.

interesting point, the water protests where more so to do with society actually saying, enough was enough with austerity measures.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to be taxed a bit more to get the services I am entitled to, but then i'm up north an Medical is free.

For now. ;););)

Never gonna happen. 😂😂😂

We like our free sh*t too much. And to be honest we're more of a burden

why punish them? they indeed do create a large proportion of our employment needs, but shouldnt the spoils of the wealth created from these processes be more evenly distributed? maybe we should consider ideas such as the use of 'sovereign wealth funds' to do this?

interesting point, the water protests where more so to do with society actually saying, enough was enough with austerity measures.

Money doesn't grow on trees

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wanderer78 wrote:

I don't think so. It was a shortsighted way by some in society to "kick the establishment".

Completely misappropriated and political parties caved.

If people protested USC with same intent, I'd probably have agreed with them.

why punish them? they indeed do create a large proportion of our employment needs, but shouldnt the spoils of the wealth created from these processes be more evenly distributed? maybe we should consider ideas such as the use of 'sovereign wealth funds' to do this?

Nope. The spoils of the wealth should be enjoyed by those who created it. It's nonsense to suggest those that have not contributed to that success should share in it's rewards.

• Advertisement

oh id argue, it kinna does, our modern monetary systems are rather magical as they are, as explained very well by the bank of england and the Bundesbank

oh id argue, it kinna does, our modern monetary systems are rather magical as they are, as explained very well by the bank of england and the Bundesbank

You can't just create money. Have you heard of the hyperinflation crisis of Weimar Germany?

You can't just create money. Have you heard of the hyperinflation crisis of Weimar Germany?

oh yes you can, its has been done forever, its how our modern monetary system works

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Got rejected fully a half an hour ago and the Sept schedule was sent out with me on it for the days I was hoping to be off.
    I’ll try and schedule a meeting with my immediate manager and HR but sadly our only HR representative for the irish office is very difficult to deal with.

horrible carry on

oh yes you can, its has been done forever, its how our modern monetary system works

It's backed by capital of some description it's not just magically created. Too much zeitgeist for you.

It's backed by capital of some description it's not just magically created. Too much zeitgeist for you.

its actually backed by our promise to repay it, i.e. in the form of debt. it kinna is magically created, again, explained very well by the bank of england and the Bundesbank

Thanks for all the feedback, I was asked to attend a meeting at 3 today with both managers and explained my reasoning. I mentioned that I had communicated to my initial manager verbally when I was planning to take off and that I would put it in writing once we hit the summer perod for PTO requests. I also reiterated that another employee had taken a longer period off before Christmas, the US manager said that was a management mistake approving it and wouldnt happen again, so I told them I would have no option but to leave as I wasn’t not going to take the holiday. The US mananger immediately ended the meeting and scheduled another meeting next week with HR. My immediate manager was confused and told me to rethink leaving.

good for you

your immediate manager is an absolute dimwit

Hey folks sorry for the delay, it’s been a hectic week finishing up.
    I left today at 5 after a very bitter week.
    My meeting on Monday was quite long but the eu director, hr manager and my immediate boss (the one that verbally approved my pto) sat in.
    Hr read off a generic list of questions that she obviously asked every employee then at the end asked ‘if you have any negative experiences with this conpany, please let is know’. I basically read off a timeline of the whole issue I had printed to her and the eu manager said he was appalled. He cut the exit interview off, asked me to leave for a few mins so I sat outside and heard a lot of shouting.
    He then came out and asked to cone back at 4pm for a meeting with just him and the US boss that denied my PTO.
    The 4 oclock meeting was extremely awkward but the US manager started to play dumb saying she wasnt aware of all the details of this.
    I gave the eu manager my full timeline of events that I had printed and again he asked me to leave.
    Cue a lot more shouting.
    The next morning I had an email from the US manager saying she was extremely disappointed with my comments about her and would reflect badly on me when attempting to land a new role. I didnt reply and forwarded it on to the EU director.
    On Wednesday, he called me in and apologised how it had been handled and offered to remedy it by allowing my PTO request and well as changing the internal policy for applying for time off.
    I told him I had another job lined up already (not true) and the email I got from the US the day before had left no doubt in my mind it would be a toxic work environment if I was to stay.
    He then offered me a small payrise (single digit percentage)
    Again I refused and shook his hand and left.
    I worked my last 2 days with my immediate team who were all very supportive and left at 5 today. As I was leaving my badge in to HR on the way out, I was given an envelope with a nice chunk of cash and letter from the EU manger saying he was understanding of me leaving and wished me all the best.
    I have 2 interviews next week so feel like I made the right decision.

I'm delighted to read that this is how it ended. Good for you. ;)

All the best for your trip.

Well Done OP you are much better off out of there. I have a feeling though that the "shouting" you heard was just for show to make it look as if they were going to go against a manager. Either way you did the right thing by leaving.

that makes zero sense

you think they were acting up a little play for the benefit of the OP outside the door? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

lawred2 wrote: »
    that makes zero sense

you think they were acting up a little play for the benefit of the OP outside the door? :confused:

To make OP feel like they got more of a "win" in the hope of avoiding a wrongful dismissal case (Edit: Typo, should be constructive dismissal).

(Not trying to comment on whether or not OP should, or that such a case would be successful. Even a hopeless case is hassle and expense to deal with. If you could help avoid it for no cost then it's not so crazy. Admittedly I'm tipping my tinfoil-hat a little here).

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    that makes zero sense

To make OP feel like they got more of a "win" in the hope of avoiding a wrongful dismissal case.

(Not trying to comment on whether or not OP should, or that such a case would be successful. Even a hopeless case is hassle and expense to deal with. If you could help avoid it for no cost then it's not so crazy. Admittedly I'm tipping my tinfoil-hat a little here).

They'd just settle as fault amhas been admitted.

It also can't be wrongful dismissal as OP resigned.

Whoops, that should have been "constructive dismissal".
    Not trying to say how a case would go, point is if a person leaves feeling like they've a score to settle they're more likely to sue than if they leave feeling good about it.

Whoops, that should have been "constructive dismissal".
    Not trying to say how a case would go, point is if a person leaves feeling like they've a score to settle they're more likely to sue than if they leave feeling good about it.

The cash given to OP could be considered a settlement so the case would have a weak starting basis.

The cash given to OP could be considered a settlement so the case would have a weak starting basis.

I don't disagree.
    (Not trying to comment on whether or not OP should, or that such a case would be successful. Even a hopeless case is hassle and expense to deal with.

Shrewd move on EU Managers part

I don't disagree.
    (Not trying to comment on whether or not OP should, or that such a case would be successful. Even a hopeless case is hassle and expense to deal with.

Just spelling it out for myself lol.

Not at all, society were largely at work. Those on the scratch objected to paying their share :)
    I don't think so. It was a shortsighted way by some in society to "kick the establishment".

Completely misappropriated and political parties caved.

If people protested USC with same intent, I'd probably have agreed with them.

Most of the protestors think USC is something that's sprinkled into Chinese takeaways I reckon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    As we're veering into Politics (water charges) and OP has in a way resolved the original issue I'm locking this thread. Please direct the discussion around water charges to the Politics sub category of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not locked :D

Advertisement