Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat for rent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

950 for 1 room , are you serious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Overlooking the other issues, I thought bedsits were a thing of the past???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

theteal wrote:
    Overlooking the other issues, I thought bedsits were a thing of the past???

It's a studio apartment. Title is a bit fancier than the reality.

In a bedsit you had your sleeping & eating area in your room but the bathroom was shared with the other bedsits in the building

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's a studio apartment. Title is a bit fancier than the reality.

In a bedsit you had your sleeping & eating area in your room but the bathroom was shared with the other bedsits in the building

Well colour me educated, never knew

theteal wrote:
    Well colour me educated, never knew

Well I know & I still find myself calling them bedsits.
    A studio apartment in the states always seems to be a huge loft bigger than my entire house. At least that's what I see in the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Oh my god.. some people! Well when you are finished your cup of tea in bed you do not have to get out of bed to put it in the sink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I thought these buildings out the back were only intended for family members hence grannny flat, are they legal to rent out?

bri007 wrote:
    I thought these buildings out the back were only intended for family members hence grannny flat, are they legal to rent out?

I'd bet that they don't have planning permission for residential use. Not having a separate electricity or gas supply is a dead giveaway. If they have planning permission at all it will be for an of or playroom.

Granny flats will almost allways be attached to the house itself & not a separate building

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/blanchardstown/huntstown-blanchardstown-dublin-1839507

Have granny flats become somthing that can be rented out on the open market ? I though it was just for family members only?

You could always rent out a granny flat, it's the holy grail of rent a room. Tax free (up to 14k) but not having to actually share with anyone as they are behind a locked door (which of course you ensure to maintain access through to make sure they are licensees).

The question is if this is attached to the house or not, if it is then there is no issue if it's not it may technically be against planning etc (though many people ignore this).

All that's being said it look pretty nice in fairness and done to a fairly high standard there are far far worse places to live (though the price is high).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You could always rent out a granny flat, it's the holy grail of rent a room. Tax free (up to 14k) but not having to actually share with anyone as they are behind a locked door (which of course you ensure to maintain access through to make sure they are licensees).

The question is if this is attached to the house or not, if it is then there is no issue if it's not it may technically be against planning etc (though many people ignore this).

All that's being said it look pretty nice in fairness and done to a fairly high standard there are far far worse places to live (though the price is high).

From a planning legislation perspective, you could never rent out a granny flat. It’s stated in the conditions of every granny flat grant of permission (not to be separated by sake or lease).

Whether it’s attached to the house or not, makes no difference to the planning legalities of renting it out, it’s against planning law.

Now, if it’s not connected to the house then it’s not a granny flat in the first place, and simply a garden shed. So may still pose some planning questions.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    From a planning legislation perspective, you could never rent out a granny flat. It’s stated in the conditions of every granny flat grant of permission (not to be separated by sake or lease).

Whether it’s attached to the house or not, makes no difference to the planning legalities of renting it out, it’s against planning law.

Now, if it’s not connected to the house then it’s not a granny flat in the first place, and simply a garden shed. So may still pose some planning questions.

It's not a lease though it's rent a room, simply inviting a guest to stay there no different then staying else where in the house as it's all under one roof.

It's not a lease though it's rent a room, simply inviting a guest to stay there no different then staying else where in the house as it's all under one roof.

I’m not arguing the RTB definition, but the planning condition that states it must be used by an immediate family member.

Rent a room has to be in your actual house. Turning the shed into a flat does not qualify for the rent a room scheme. A shed /flat although it won't have planning permission is considered a flat by revenue. Landlord will pay around half of the rent in tax.

Rent a room has to be in your actual house. Turning the shed into a flat does not qualify for the rent a room scheme. A shed /flat although it won't have planning permission is considered a flat by revenue. Landlord will pay around half of the rent in tax.

I was referring to situations where it is attached to the house which means it is the actual house.

In my original post I clearly stated it was different if it's not attached.

In my original post I clearly stated it was different if it's not attached.

Sorry for assumed you were talking about the one in the op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

SNNUS wrote: »
    Oh my god.. some people! Well when you are finished your cup of tea in bed you do not have to get out of bed to put it in the sink!!

That's nothing ! you don't even have to leave your bed to service the gas boiler

you'd be like john lennon n yoke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rent a room has to be contiguous to the principle dwelling.
    That is- it has to be internally accessible to the dwelling- it cannot be a wholly separate dwelling. A passage with a closed door- would suffice- and as someone higher up the thread pointed out- is a bit of a holy grail for many owner-occupiers and licensees- as they have independent living, while legally living with one another- without any need to actually ever see one another..........

The price on the property in the opening post- seems high- until you look at what a 1 bed apartment in the area is going for. Of course its not a 1-bed-apartment- so they've given it a discount- and presumably utilities are included in the 950.

Personally- I'd hate to live in such a unit- but, I did live in similar accommodation- happily- for a number of years when I was a student- and it worked. I can see why it would work for a lot of people- and while I might at first glance think the asking price is a tad aspirational- if you factor that its an all-in price into the equation- its a lot more reasonable.

I strongly suspect its on dodgy grounds from a planning perspective (thats if it even has planning)- however, I also suspect that that aspect isn't going to bother the person who eventually takes it, too much..........

Supplyside issues are throwing up a few wildcards- such as this- hopefully in time these will all fall by the wayside- we don't need 'solutions' like this in the mix...........

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

950 for 1 room , are you serious ?
    And in Huntstown!

Around the time I sold my 4 bed house in a nicer part of D15, early 2016, my entire house would have rented for about 1300.

Lumen wrote: »
    And in Huntstown!

Around the time I sold my 4 bed house in a nicer part of D15, early 2016, my entire house would have rented for about 1300.

In the context of 1,500 for an unfurnished 1 bed apartment in Finglas of all places- its a klaxon blaring that supply is non-existent...........

I agree- Huntstown is nuts- so too is a lot of Finglas- I had my first car burnt out in Finglas a long time ago- after I had the misfortune to breakdown and went to get help............

The current policies- or lack thereof- are fueling this frenzy. We need supply, plain and simple- to quench the ridiculous things happening in the market.

In the context of 1,500 for an unfurnished 1 bed apartment in Finglas of all places- its a klaxon blaring that supply is non-existent...........

I agree- Huntstown is nuts- so too is a lot of Finglas- I had my first car burnt out in Finglas a long time ago- after I had the misfortune to breakdown and went to get help............

The current policies- or lack thereof- are fueling this frenzy. We need supply, plain and simple- to quench the ridiculous things happening in the market.

It’s worth noting that the Hampton Wood development you are talking about is more poppintree imo.
    The link road into the estate is from poppintree roundabout and the other road leads to IKEA which is certainly Ballymun/poppintree.

• Advertisement

and the other road leads to IKEA which is certainly Ballymun/poppintree.

:D

All the more convenient for furnishing the units.........

Jokes aside- I honestly think the move towards letting unfurnished units is good for the sector. Tenants don't have to deal with hand-me-down crap- landlords aren't factoring furniture getting smashed into deposits etc.

My own preference is the German model- fully unfurnished, freshly painted by the outgoing tenant- and returned to the landlord in a similar fashion- unfurnished and freshly painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No it’s not covered under the rent a room scheme as it’s an external structure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

I think people are forgetting that the price has to be taken in context with the very high current rates. Although a bit on the high side at 950 pm, this includes all bills and thus making it only about 3/400 euro more than a single room 1/3 the size of this with no bathroom or kitchen. It's finished quite nicely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

The 950 is more than likely covering their mortsge or most of the repayments, crazy just shows where we are in Ireland currently in the rental market and housing in general.

Unfortunately, until more units become available we are at these people’s mercy!

Lumen wrote: »
    And in Huntstown!

ted1 wrote: »
    No it’s not covered under the rent a room scheme as it’s an external structure

I know this structure isn't but a normal granny flat (which would be attached to/part of the main house) would be covered under the rent a room scheme.

The fact is that the person who ends up renting this is not going to care if it has planning or if it should be rent a room scheme. They will pay cash and be happy to have a place,

Just as an aide this place look like a nice enough place to live so not overly sure why people are so outraged about it. It's nicely finished, price includeds bills so the rent while high is a lot less than a 1 bedrooms aprtment and it will suit many single people especially those who don't want to share. People are paying 500 or 600 euro before bills for a room in a houseshare in Dublin this would look much more appealing, you aren't going to be locked into a lease either or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

I know this structure isn't but a normal granny flat (which would be attached to/part of the main house) would be covered under the rent a room scheme.

The fact is that the person who ends up renting this is not going to care if it has planning or not and will most likely end paying cash so I think we can all guess that rent a room scheme or not there won't be much declaring going on by the owner.

In fairness there is a map attached to the listing so it wouldn't be hard to pinpoint the exact location and ask fingal council to inspect if anybody felt it was in breach of planning regs. Surprised to see it listed with an actual letting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/clonee/littlepace-meadows-clonee-dublin-1837095/
    theres another one...there must be  a few people doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

This one is really well done I think, especially having the kitchen separated a bit.

As an aside, seeing people here potentially reporting/contacting council, please realise that if found to be in breach with laws etc. that's one less much needed high quality accommodation off the market.I think in a lot of cases the over regulation in bringing accommodation to market and drawn out process of removing bad tenants are issues that add to the problems with supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

djan wrote: »

This one is really well done I think, especially having the kitchen separated a bit.

As an aside, seeing people here potentially reporting/contacting council, please realise that if found to be in breach with laws etc. that's one less much needed high quality accommodation off the market.I think in a lot of cases the over regulation in bringing accommodation to market and drawn out process of removing bad tenants are issues that add to the problems with supply.

Would agree. I wonder if someone was renting a property like that the council investigated would they turf the tenant out under the current conditions.

• Advertisement

Since when was Clonee Dublin 15? Did they move the county boundary or something? Excellent location? Really? I suppose the location is fine- if you don't have to go anywhere- but excellent location- is a bit of a stretch........ As for the rest of the unit- while its a bit better than the one in the OP- its still bleak, there is no other word for it- bleak......... I'm not a snob and I have lived in far less salubrious accommodation than they're offering- but I most certainly didn't pay 950 a month.......... How on earth do they expect to get 950 a month for this- out in the sticks?

Advertisement