Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forest - Single Player VR Beta

Options
  • 22-05-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭

So the VR beta was launched as a free update today. It supports single player only currently.
    Anyone going to try it out tonight? I think I'll give it a go.

Still at the low price of €16.79

https://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/The_Forest/

"Hey everyone,

This release adds a first pass of VR Support to The Forest. This release supports both Vive and Oculus Rift.

Some of the highlights of the VR version include: Full bow aiming. Throwing flares by breaking the tops off them. Lighting molotovs with your lighter, full 3d inventory, and 3d book, and of course chopping down trees with touch controls, but our favourite part of this release are the caves. The caves feel claustrophobic and terrifying and the creatures at scale take on a new life.

We’re releasing this as beta as we see VR as something really exciting but also very new. We’re trying a ton of ideas with how selection works, with how cutscenes work, with our inventory and want everyone’s ideas and feedback so we can make this the best VR experience possible.

As it is beta, expect some bugs and technical issues. We’ll be updating this branch regularly.

Note: First release does not have multiplayer support but that’s coming soon.

Note: Some users have been experiencing issues with their controls not working when running the SteamVR Beta. Rolling back to the public version of SteamVR should correct this issue."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

You can check out some of the bugs and feedback in the steam discussion forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/242760/discussions/1/

Okay played this for about a half hour to an hour tonight.

Unfortunately turning is limited to snap turning, there's no free movement options yet.

I'd recommend turning asw to 45 fps and cranking up the graphics as much as possible, as it not as crisp as some games but with the dense forest and open world that's to be expected.

I'd also recommend playing in non VR first so you can actually figure out how to play the game.

I couldn't seem to drop logs with the touch controllers, had to press G on the keyboard.

Cutting down trees with your little axe was very satisfying though.

Some sparrows would randomly fly and land on my hand if I had it held out haha.

The nature in the game is awesome.

It's very easy to get lost also, I have no idea if there's a compass you can use.

When it turned dark suddenly I saw 2 weird looking Z's scurrying about 20 feet away in front of me, and I said feck this!

Was too vulnerable from not knowing how to set up a camp to continue!

This game will be terrifying when night time hits!

So all in all it's going to take some figuring out, and will take some time before they perfect the VR, but looks promising nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I have some friends who play this (non vr) so I might hop on some night with them. Awkward VR controls sounds like a great excuse not to have to help out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anthony from VR Game Rankings also said this is very good.

€16 seems to be the normal price. It has dropped down to €10 frequently if anyone's on the fence.

I swear there are too many good games out now, I don't have time for them. Red Matter, Beat Saber, this...loads more.

• Advertisement

So lads and ladies, the Forest enabled VR Multiplayer support a week ago.

Who would like to have a boards.ie multiplayer online?

Seems to play very well except I couldnt sleep or save in one server.

Also the chat audio comes through my speakers instead of the Rifts which is a bit of an inconvenience.

Its down to €11.24 on Steam as part of the Summer Sale and well worth picking up.

I would recommend using a fan in this weather as i my stomach didnt feel right after playing it, a first for me in VR.

Advertisement