Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Interview Question

Options
  • 22-05-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I have been invited to a one on one interview tomorrow as a store assistant in a supermarket. I really want the job as it is well paid and so close to home. I have recently completed my honours degree to accompany the ordinary degree I obtained last year (Both in Chemistry).

What I'm wondering is, how would I answer the following possible question: "Why would you want to come work with us after completing your degree in the named above?"

I don't see myself staying long in this job if I am to get it, but nonetheless it would be great to have in the interim while looking for a job in my field.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CopperLady

mrwhimwham wrote: »
    I have been invited to a one on one interview tomorrow as a store assistant in a supermarket. I really want the job as it is well paid and so close to home. I have recently completed my honours degree to accompany the ordinary degree I obtained last year (Both in Chemistry).

What I'm wondering is, how would I answer the following possible question: "Why would you want to come work with us after completing your degree in the named above?"

I don't see myself staying long in this job if I am to get it, but nonetheless it would be great to have in the interim while looking for a job in my field.

I worked in a supermarket briefly after I finished my postgraduate and had the same situation. I told the interviewer that I was interested in the job as I think I could be a good employee but stressed that working as a store assistant would give me useful experience in people skills and dealing with the public in a busy and changeable environment. That this would be useful no matter what field I worked in. :) Which is true, I did actually learn some useful skills.

The interviewer could see that I just wanted the job to pay rent and put food on the table but that seemed to sway him and I got the job! Try and phrase it similarly maybe, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Most interviewers won't be stupid or smug enough to think that a college graduate put themselves through college in order to be a store assistant. I wouldn't worry about that question too much to be honest, in a previous job I would have interviewed lots of people in your situation and neither I nor any of my colleagues were under any illusions when an over qualified person came in. We didn't expect someone to stay for any significant amount of time as we were realistic enough to acknowledge it'll be a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

CopperLady wrote: »
    I worked in a supermarket briefly after I finished my postgraduate and had the same situation. I told the interviewer that I was interested in the job as I think I could be a good employee but stressed that working as a store assistant would give me useful experience in people skills and dealing with the public in a busy and changeable environment. That this would be useful no matter what field I worked in. :) Which is true, I did actually learn some useful skills.

The interviewer could see that I just wanted the job to pay rent and put food on the table but that seemed to sway him and I got the job! Try and phrase it similarly maybe, best of luck!

Thanks very much for that CopperLady. It's the one question where I feel I could trip myself up on.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Most interviewers won't be stupid or smug enough to think that a college graduate put themselves through college in order to be a store assistant. I wouldn't worry about that question too much to be honest, in a previous job I would have interviewed lots of people in your situation and neither I nor any of my colleagues were under any illusions when an over qualified person came in. We didn't expect someone to stay for any significant amount of time as we were realistic enough to acknowledge it'll be a stepping stone.

Thanks for that dulux99. The only thing I can say about this store in particular is that the staff turnover is non-existent, from a store assistant point of view (going into the store 6 years now and always see the same staff). So I don't want to give the interviewer the impression I'm only here for the short run, when they could better spend there time training someone who is in it for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CopperLady

Thanks very much for that CopperLady. It's the one question where I feel I could trip myself up on.

No problem! I know, it was the one that worried me too. To be fair I think most stores know that it is hardly a dream job for anyone, just be polite but straight about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

> Why would you want to come work with us after completing your degree in the named above?

> I really want the job as it is well paid and so close to home.

I think you can just be honest. They will be more concerned with are you able to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Assuming that they have read your CV in detail they will almost definitely be aware of this situation from the off, and could be willing to find someone competent to fill the position on a short to mid term basis.

I do not believe that they would have called you for an interview if this is going to be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree skallywag.
    I think there's a misconception that employers and managers are like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, scheming and plotting. But actually we're just trying to hire reliable, honest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

You've completed your degree, i wouldnt waste a year or so working in a supermarket. I'm in pharmaceuticals (analytical chemist) and places are literally crying out for QC staff. My place are having serious trouble finding any.  You can literally walk right into a decent job.

You've completed your degree, i wouldnt waste a year or so working in a supermarket. I'm in pharmaceuticals (analytical chemist) and places are literally crying out for QC staff. My place are having serious trouble finding any.  You can literally walk right into a decent job.

Funnily enough I completed my degree in Med Chem, so that's good to hear. This job is very short term as I just need something to keep me going while applying for other jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

This is probably not going to be a permanent position but you don’t want to say this. The interviewer might want to give someone who does see it as a permanent position the role so you need to sell yourself and show your interested. Say you want to use the problem solving and critical thinking that you used in university in real life business environment. Outline experience in chemistry would help in merchandising as you understand the products but would like experience in how it works in practice.

Or you could say that although you completed your degree you feel that retail is more suitable to you and would like to work towards management.

Or say you need to work a year to pay back a student loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

joeguevara wrote: »
    The interviewer might want to give someone who does see it as a permanent position the role...

This is almost definitely going to be the case I would imagine. It is often the case too though that an employer will struggle to find the ideal fit for a position, and be forced into making a compromise.
    Or you could say that although you completed your degree you feel that retail is more suitable to you and would like to work towards management.

This could be a nice spin to put on things if you get pushed. You could emphasize that your degree was more technical orientated while you feel yourself that you would prefer to move in a direction where your soft/people skills are put to use, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm sorry but having conducted god knows how many interviews such as the op is going into, if a recent chemistry graduate said this to me, I would find it very disingenuous and almost insulting to my intelligence.

As I said earlier, they're recruiting for a person to work in a shop and are interviewing a chemistry graduate - they know what they're getting. They're not getting a lifer. They're getting a young graduate who is going to move onto bigger and better things. When you leave there's no shortage of other people who can work in a shop, it's unskilled labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hey op.

i ge that interviews are challenging, but i wouldn't personally lie to the prospective employer. Doesn't mean you cannot place things in a positive angle, & sell yourself, but i would not tell porkies to get the job
    "you completed your degree you feel that retail is more suitable to you and would like to work towards management. "

If things like that are true great, but no way im going to make stuff like that up.

Just want to thank all of ye for the input folks. After 3 rounds of interviews I got the job in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just want to thank all of ye for the input folks. After 3 rounds of interviews I got the job in the end!

That's great but OMG, 3 rounds!
    You sure you're not going for the big 4?

To thine own self be true

That's great but OMG, 3 rounds!
    You sure you're not going for the big 4?

Group interview with a maths test, followed by a one to one with an area manager. After this it was necessary to do a work trial (which started at 5 am) before I was offered the job. They obviously want to rigorously screen people before giving them the job.

Advertisement