Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Outlook 365 to G Suite hosted email via imap

Options
  • 22-05-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a new Office 365 subscription and am happy with everything (including moving 200GB of data from Dropbox to OneDrive (1TB of OneDrive is included in the Office 365 subscription so might as well use it) but for the life of me I cannot get my G Suite hosted work email accounts set up on Outlook 365. I've enabled IMAP in the G Suite email settings and follow the G Suite instructions for imap.gmail.com and smpt.gmail.com as well as port numbers etc but I just cannot connect and keep getting an error that "the connection to the incoming IMAP server was dropped" and it's doing my head in.

Instead of using imap.gmail.com should I be using imap.mycompanydomainname.ie and smpt.mycompanydomainname.ie? I did try that without success also.

ATM I run an old single license version of Outlook 2010 and it connects to the G Suite email accounts fine and syncs using the G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook tool but that's not an option or doesn't appear to be an option when setting up Outlook 365.

I searched online for a migration guide without success hence this post in desperation.

Help anyone???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Check this setting:

451405.PNG

instruction to get there here

This setting might be under admin portal(work account, isn't it), so might not be available for standard user.

Will update you later as cant remember right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Check this setting:

451405.PNG

instruction to get there here

This setting might be under admin portal(work account, isn't it), so might not be available for standard user.

Will update you later as cant remember right now.

YOU. ARE. THE. MAN. :D

Thanks a million. Changed that setting, ran setup again and bingo, no problem.

Great start to my day.

Glad it worked for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Glad it worked for you.:)

Hi Smuggler,

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain again on an Outlook 365 related question.

I have my G Suite hosted company email working fine with Outlook 365 and assumed setting up the associated contact book, calendar and task list would be straightforward but of course it's not.

I've tried import/export and subscribing via the G Suite .ics file but whilst the .ics file grabbed the high level data from my G suite calendar it doesn't display the detail of each event (it just shows the blocks of time booked in the calendar but no description) and it only syncs one way i.e. from G Suite to Outlook. Any changes or new meetings/events entered via Outlook will not sync back to G suite and consequently (and more importantly) not sync to my android phone.

Very frustrating.

I tried downloading and installing the G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook which I previously used with a stand alone version of Outlook but it's not compatible with the 365 version of Outlook.

Right now it looks like if I want to keep my email, calendar and tasks sync'd between my laptop and android phone I can only use Outlook 365 for email and have to revert to keeping a browser tab of my G Suite contacts, calendar and tasks open which I'll use on my laptop to stay organised. It seems a waste to only be using Outlook 365 for email and even then it'll be restricted as I can't grab email addresses from within Outlook because contacts won't be sync'd. Instead I'll have to open the contact in the browser, copy the email address and then paste it into the Outlook 365 address box.

I can't believe there isn't a way to sync G Suite contacts/calendar/tasks with Outlook 365.

am I missing something?

Pardon me for using this as a comparison, but you trying to make USA “Navy SEALs” to dance “polka” with Russian “СПЕЦНАЗ” .

Well, Google did hell of a work to make it happen, but you still should expect some hiccups - you dealing with two completely different platforms.
    I would recommend to read through Google Use Outlook with G Suite to understand what to expect -there is some limitations.

OK, let’s clear things up. You have O365 subscription and Outlook 2016 as part of Office 2016.
    If this the case, you have target to get your G-Suite account synced to Outlook 2016.

To my understanding, what you already done is, you have added you G account to Outlook as IMAP, without GSSMO(G Suite Sync for Microsoft® Outlook®). This, to my knowledge, not sync anything apart your mail. And even if you install GSSMO later, this will not take care of calendar, contacts, etc.

You need to start from scratch by creating Outlook profile from within GSSMO.

How actually it's done you can search YouTube, this guy has basic video that cover all you need and even it shows Outlook 2007, it still works pretty same way on Outlook 2016:
    1. Install GSSMO and run it
    2. Log to your G account at prompt
    3. Allow access to all your stuff
    4. Create profile (NOT importing data!!)
    5. Watch it syncing

The thing to watch out is - you already have profile In Outlook, so you have to ensure that newly created profile will load on starting Outlook.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Edit: current GSSMO use to be called GASMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Pardon me for using this as a comparison, but you trying to make USA “Navy SEALs” to dance “polka” with Russian “СПЕЦНАЗ” .

Well, Google did hell of a work to make it happen, but you still should expect some hiccups - you dealing with two completely different platforms.
    I would recommend to read through Goole’s Use Outlook with G Suite to understand what to expect -there is some limitations.

OK, let’s clear things up. You have O365 subscription and Outlook 2016 as part of Office 2016.
    If this the case, you have target to get your G-Suite account synced to Outlook 2016.

To my understanding, what you already done is, you have added you G account to Outlook as IMAP, without GSSMO(G Suite Sync for Microsoft® Outlook®). This, to my knowledge, not sync anything apart your mail. And even if you install GSSMO later, this will not take care of calendar, contacts, etc.

You need to start from scratch by creating Outlook profile from within GSSMO.

How actually it's done you can search YouTube, this guy has basic video that cover all you need and even it shows Outlook 2007, it still works pretty same way on Outlook 2016:
    1. Install GSSMO and run it
    2. Log to your G account at prompt
    3. Allow access to all your stuff
    4. Create profile (NOT importing data!!)
    5. Watch it syncing

The thing to watch out is - you already have profile In Outlook, so you have to ensure that newly created profile will load on starting Outlook.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Wow!! Thanks so much. I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

Advertisement