Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Co., Ltd. have applied for a N64 trademark in Japan

• 22-05-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/22/nintendo-n64-trademark-classic-edition/
    According to JapaneseNintendo, "Nintendo Co., Ltd. have applied for a N64 trademark in Japan. Purposes include video game program, controller for game machine, joystick for video game machine, TV game machine and more."

Never a big fan of the N64 controller, but I wonder at this rate, when will they be re-releasing the Gamecube?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the_syco wrote: »
    Never a big fan of the N64 controller

GET OUT.

That being said, the gamecube controller is the best controller, period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

N64 games, in the main, have not aged well at all.
    Single digit frame rates in Body Harvest for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really interested in seeing how Nintendo handle this.

The controller as is is will look completely out of place with a mini console. The games will look horrendous running at a crappy low FPS with that vaseline smeared AA on a big screen.

It'll be difficult to shrink the controller as it's base shape is pretty specific to your hand. Any smaller and it would just feel odd. Maybe they could try to go for a copy of the hori n64 pad, the one that's more like the Gamecube controller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    N64 games, in the main, have not aged well at all.
    Single digit frame rates in Body Harvest for example

space station silicon valley says you are wrong wrong wrong it's as purity as eva

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

space station silicon valley says you are wrong wrong wrong it's as purity as eva

Might want to adjust the taps on the tank there RobbingBandit, haven't a clue what you mean!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm really interested in seeing how Nintendo handle this.

The controller as is is will look completely out of place with a mini console. The games will look horrendous running at a crappy low FPS with that vaseline smeared AA on a big screen.

It'll be difficult to shrink the controller as it's base shape is pretty specific to your hand. Any smaller and it would just feel odd. Maybe they could try to go for a copy of the hori n64 pad, the one that's more like the Gamecube controller?

The wii emulator was pretty good at cleaning up the ****ty AA so I'd say they will use a similar approach. Would be nice if they could keep the N64 'look' from their own VC emulation while bumping the resolution up to 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

They will still sell I think. Different age bracket will buy them. Plus they will have Nintendo logo and collectors will have to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Unlikely that they will do it but I hope they allow for playing original N64 games on it, it was disappointing that the SNES mini having bought a mini mega drive for a lot less with the slot to play original cartridges as well as the built in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The wii emulator was pretty good at cleaning up the ****ty AA so I'd say they will use a similar approach. Would be nice if they could keep the N64 'look' from their own VC emulation while bumping the resolution up to 1080p

I'd say they'll do something that involves 'updating' things so the finished product doesn't look as bad as it once did. N64 games look quite nice once their internal resolution is bumped up x2/x3 times, and while that might pee off the purists, it'd make the final product infinitely more attractive to the masses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unlikely that they will do it but I hope they allow for playing original N64 games on it, it was disappointing that the SNES mini having bought a mini mega drive for a lot less with the slot to play original cartridges as well as the built in games.

I'd rather have the good emulation than the hot garbage that the mega drive ones are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I really liked the N64 controller. But then I didn't own one so I wasn't subject to it wearing out.

The N64 is a prime candidate for this kind of thing because emulation is a thousand times better than the original hardware. I played a load of the games on PC in the late 90's and they were lovely with proper framerates and high resolution.

If they released the Mini with something like this it could be interesting
    n64_controller-980x620.jpg

Advertisement