Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume Michael and Danny travel to Dublin together. That should be a great saving to the tax man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Mayo farmers welcomed their greenway as they knew it served the greater good. It's a huge success.

Not all landowners did and Kerry isn't Mayo.

One worked with landowners for as long as it took, the other waved CPOs around with no consultation. Chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Water John wrote: »
    I presume Michael and Danny travel to Dublin together. That should be a great saving to the tax man!!!

Like Gino and his push bike is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

We can argue all we want about their showboating and whether their right to bring local politics to the national stage, and never agree or get the right answer, but the truth 9f this matter is that they are a disgrace and are showing themselves up as only chasing Kerry votes to stay on the Dáil gravy train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Absolutely nothing wrong in fighting for your local area, in fact it's a desired and admirable trait in a politician. It becomes toxic when you can build a dynasty based on nepotism rather than ability.

JHR would have got no traction and wouldn't have amounted to anything on day one only for he was dealing with a totally corrupt government to begin with. He fought fire with fire and was rewarded because of it. I think this should tell us all we need to know about the dynasty built on his legacy.

Horse trading with a corrupt government misappropriating hard earned tax payers money is to be lauded apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Guaranteed they don't miss a vote on drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Seems to be a common theme with the politicians who have been in the news the last few weeks that none of these votes they miss are close run things therefore their vote wouldn't have mattered. Maybe if half of them bothered to show up for work and actually vote there would be closer voting margins.

It's a bad state of affairs when our politicians are telling us votes don't matter, must remember that one when they call to the door next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They could never vote again and they'd still get a massive majority in their constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This thread is funny. From giving out about the Healy-Raes being in the Dail at the start of the thread to giving out about the Healy-Raes not being in the Dail at the end of the thread.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

They know how to play the media. I would not be a fan of them myself I might add.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Can I ask how people think a TD should divide their time in a working week, assuming they are located in Kerry ?

And if we are saying a TD spends too much time looking after the interests of the people who elected them, perhaps we should quantify what is too much time to be spent on local interests ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Dail week starts at 2.30pm Tuesday, so plenty time to get up there that day. Finishes Thurs and go home. Two nights in Dublin, full attendance record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Can I ask how people think a TD should divide their time in a working week, assuming they are located in Kerry ?

And if we are saying a TD spends too much time looking after the interests of the people who elected them, perhaps we should quantify what is too much time to be spent on local interests ?

When their only focus is local interests, they're spending too much time on it. Which appears to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I think Dail week starts at 2.30pm Tuesday, so plenty time to get up there that day. Finishes Thurs and go home. Two nights in Dublin, full attendance record.

Two nights in Dublin doesn't sound too bad if you wanted a break every week but for hard working people who might have to travel 4 hours to get there two nights in Dublin is losing half of a six day working week.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

OK so that's Monday and a half day Friday on local matters and the rest of the time travelling and voting.

In that case would it not be fairer to stop all local work by TDs ? If a Dublin based TD can spend twice the time on their constituents than a Kerry TD (rest of the time travelling), and the Kerry TD gets criticised for prioritising ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They should get them an aircraft to speed up the journey. The Healycopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

OK so that's Monday and a half day Friday on local matters and the rest of the time travelling and voting.

In that case would it not be fairer to stop all local work by TDs ? If a Dublin based TD can spend twice the time on their constituents than a Kerry TD (rest of the time travelling), and the Kerry TD gets criticised for prioritising ?

Michael seems to have no problem travelling to Dublin for tv appearances.
    He looks to have spent more time on the Tonight Show on Virgin Media than he has in the Dail.

Michael seems to have no problem travelling to Dublin for tv appearances.
    He looks to have spent more time on the Tonight Show on Virgin Media than he has in the Dail.

He is a popular man...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

They should get them an aircraft to speed up the journey. The Healycopter.
    And it could be used for ‘ dropping ‘ lads home from the pub when the Healy Raes weren’t using it . ;)

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    And it could be used for ‘ dropping ‘ lads home from the pub when the Healy Raes weren’t using it . ;)

A bit like the Sopranos !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭bmc58

Gobsheens of the highest order

Certainly not.Very savvy people.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

the Healy Rae have 3 family members who are on the council... so should that 3 concentrate on the local stuff and Danny & Michael concentrate on the national stuff... they have a big enough team now around them that (assistants etc all paid for by the state) they should have no excuse not to attend a bigger percentage of voting..as voting at between 10 & 15% of votes is a making a mockery of system... eventhough the HR will start by blaming the system and not themselves

bmc58 wrote: »
    Certainly not.Very savvy people.

True pretty sharp alright, especially some deals done in the property market

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As was revealed during Votegate, most voting in the Dail takes place in bloc voting every Thursday. If the Healy-Raes can't even be arsed making it up to Dublin for one day a week to vote, then you have to ask wtf they're doing in the Dail in the first place.

Zaph wrote: »
    As was revealed during Votegate, most voting in the Dail takes place in bloc voting every Thursday. If the Healy-Raes can't even be arsed making it up to Dublin for one day a week to vote, then you have to ask wtf they're doing in the Dail in the first place.
    Sure you could say that about any of the TDs especially those Voting more than once :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

All this talk about "Rural Oirland" being dictated by an Dublin urban elite goes out the window when you hear about their 80-90 absentee voting rate

The Healy-Rae's seem to have a lot of posters in a very firm psychological grip for some reason.

It must be very frustrating, especially when you can't even vote against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Healy-Rae's seem to have a lot of posters in a very firm psychological grip for some reason.

Imagine being so psychologically disturbed by the HR crew and wanting to vote against them that you throw yourself into politics and getting elected. You finally make it, and are about to achieve your aim.of voting against them in the Dáil. Then the duckers don't show up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If they were Dublin T.D.s with refined accents and doing the same level of constituency work people would regard them as latter day Dr John O Connells or Tony Gregorys.
    Ahern Haughey etc werent getting two quotas for their Dail performances.
    All politics is local

Looking forward to Mike’s second book launch next week, should be a good craic.

I believe they were asked to remove one poster by the council from Nancy Myles recently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Edgware wrote: »
    Ahern Haughey etc werent getting two quotas for their Dail performances
    Yeah, it's called vote management. If you have two quotas, your running mate got screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Indo article about Michael and his book, out in a few days.

https://m.independent.ie/life/i-can-feel-the-hate-off-some-people-michael-healyrae-on-life-politics-and-almost-paralysing-woody-allen-38631442.html

Going by this thread, a best seller, I'd say:D

• Advertisement

Indo article about Michael and his book, out in a few days.

https://m.independent.ie/life/i-can-feel-the-hate-off-some-people-michael-healyrae-on-life-politics-and-almost-paralysing-woody-allen-38631442.html

Going by this thread, a best seller, I'd say:D

I though God could only be in 2 places at the same time...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/michael-healyrae-logged-into-dil-on-day-he-was-in-kerry-for-a-funeral-38650938.html

sentence below says it all... he is given a national job which there is a salary top up and he sneaks away to Kerry .. he has 3 councillors in the family to help locally so what are they doing..or does he not trust them

Mr Healy-Rae declined to explain the exact circumstances that led to him miss the speeches despite his key role on the EU committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

riemann wrote: »
    Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.
    Areas that elect these sort of TDs (who hold the nation to ransom over parish pump issues) should be absolutely hammered when the votes are not needed.

I mean dig up the roads , close the schools, remove eligibility to access health services hammered.

Killorglin Delenda Est!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Looking forward to Mike’s second book launch next week, should be a good craic.

What is the title of the book, looking for stocking fillers at the moment

Bellview wrote: »
    I though God could only be in 2 places at the same time...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/michael-healyrae-logged-into-dil-on-day-he-was-in-kerry-for-a-funeral-38650938.html

sentence below says it all... he is given a national job which there is a salary top up and he sneaks away to Kerry .. he has 3 councillors in the family to help locally so what are they doing..or does he not trust them

Mr Healy-Rae declined to explain the exact circumstances that led to him miss the speeches despite his key role on the EU committee.

God is everywhere.

goat2 wrote: »
    What is the title of the book, looking for stocking fillers at the moment

“A listening ear.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I'll buy the book for the sheer belly laughs that's bound to be in it. I presume there's signings happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

McGaggs wrote: »
    Imagine being so psychologically disturbed by the HR crew and wanting to vote against them that you throw yourself into politics and getting elected. You finally make it, and are about to achieve your aim.of voting against them in the Dáil. Then the duckers don't show up...

Did they claim though? You bet ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

I blame the people in the constituencies that elect them.

Those citizens have no right to complain about national or international issues. They have chosen to prioritise local issues completely, to the detriment of all other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Edgware wrote: »
    If they were Dublin T.D.s with refined accents and doing the same level of constituency work people would regard them as latter day Dr John O Connells or Tony Gregorys.
    Ahern Haughey etc werent getting two quotas for their Dail performances.
    All politics is local

what a ridiculous statement. Shane Ross is pilloried for favouring his own constituency. And not all politics is local; our problems are national and global in scope and require solutions on those levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just to follow up on my post of charging the state for diesel....seems like they got caught at it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/healy-rae-claims-euro41k-expenses-in-six-months-103632.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/tds-dail-expenses-since-general-election-2016-2748296-May2016/

Danny Healy-Rae & Michael Healy-Rae (Independent, Kerry): €5,096.51 each
    Funny how it is exact same value?

Have the family all on the state payroll
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/1368375/the-healy-raes-have-eight-of-the-clan-now-on-the-public-payroll-in-political-jobs-as-kerry-dynasty-rake-in-e485k-from-taxpayers/

Do people not understand you are paying taxes for these clowns? they are sitting back and laughing at all the people in Kerry.

Didn't their father travel on his old age pass but still billed for non-existent train fares?

Looks like they are dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't !

This campaign against the Healy Raes by the Dublin based media surely has to be worth a few votes to them in the election in the next few months?

Sure they are no different than the rest ....all be it a lot more Transparent !

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Answer your phone Michael. Today fm and Matt Cooper have a few questions for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

goose2005 wrote: »
    what a ridiculous statement. Shane Ross is pilloried for favouring his own constituency. And not all politics is local; our problems are national and global in scope and require solutions on those levels.

Their fans don't care as long as their potholes are filled and they're looked after. The rest of the country may as well be on another planet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement