Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Will they do time?

No young Jackie will probably get elected alongside Danny and Micheal at the next election.

They are a special breed down there. They throw crumbs at the locals whilst they dine at the top table.

They have Kerry CoCo and its procurement sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

His mother was a local but she lost her chip van during the famine

His mother is from the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Real small town ballygobackwards stuff

“This is my town and this is my chip van”

Immortal words there

The chip van in question has "history " in Kenmare.. ;) I remember it from my trading days there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

If the votes aren't needed close every school in Killorglin and charge €1000 for the school bus and say why.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    No young Jackie will probably get elected alongside Danny and Micheal at the next election.

They are a special breed down there. They throw crumbs at the locals whilst they dine at the top table.

They have Kerry CoCo and its procurement sewn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Real life Bull McCabes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Bellview wrote: »
    What is funny is it’s everyone else’s fault... the country don’t like his family, the man was at top or queue, it was self defense... it’s all about them v us... no sense of responsibility for their own actions... also the fact they did not step into witness box kinda says it all... and if there was a council election in the morning what odds he would still top the poll...

Course he’d top the poll.
    The Healy reas don’t queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Graces7 wrote: »
    The chip van in question has "history " in Kenmare.. ;) I remember it from my trading days there

Is the food nice from the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Sure he was only doing what his father and uncle do. The Raes like skipping queues at chip vans, funerals and indeed Michael was photographed driving in the bus lane in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

EKTHutaX0AErWJ1?format=jpg&name=240x240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Calhoun wrote: »
    They are already trying to turn it into a PR win claiming its people from around the country that hate their family that have done this. The even have attacked the handling by the Guards.

Hopefully they actually get some time and it tarnishes their public image but I would say it will be a suspended sentence and more likely they will get back to being goodboys or this is a start to a trainwreck.

Money will have to change hands to avoid prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the food nice from the van?

Ah I don't buy street food and as I was trading there mornings it was never open. Looked a mess...there was always controversy about where it was parked.

That was a few years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The farmers cap doesn't seem to have made it's way to the third generation, Junior had his best clothes on for the court appearance.

Probably a future TD as well when Daddy is finished keeping the seat in the Dail warm for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

The farmers cap doesn't seem to have made it's way to the third generation, Junior had his best clothes on for the court appearance.

Probably a future TD as well when Daddy is finished keeping the seat in the Dail warm for him.

How dare he call himself a Healy Rae and he with no farmers cap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Looking at the indo online and Danny Healy Rae is disowning his nephews .. as it’s not his house .. kinda funny as Danny himself has a bit of a row with cousins over an entrance about 10 years ago

Bellview wrote: »
    Looking at the indo online and Danny Healy Rae is disowning his nephews .. as it’s not his house .. kinda funny as Danny himself has a bit of a row with cousins over an entrance about 10 years ago

Ended in fisticuffs as I recall

Ended in fisticuffs as I recall

Wouldn't be the first row Danny has had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Wouldn't be the first row Danny has had!

What's going to happen to the lads, they'll get a suspended sentence and bound to the peace. They'll offer a substantial compensation figure and all will be grand in kilgarvan.

mycro2013 wrote: »
    What's going to happen to the lads, they'll get a suspended sentence and bound to the peace. They'll offer a substantial compensation figure and all will be grand in kilgarvan.

Thats about the size of it

Small town Ireland. Cousins marrying cousins, getting aroused if a neighbour makes Winning Streak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Edgware wrote: »
    Money will have to change hands to avoid prison

You don't get a jail sentence for a bit of handbag swinging outside a chip van at 2am.

As a first time offender he will be give the benefit of the Probation Act i.e. slap on the wrist. That will be it.

Now, the real hurt will come if the victim sues them for civil damages- that will hit the pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You don't get a jail sentence for a bit of handbag swinging outside a chip van at 2am.

You don't get a jail sentence if you head butt and glass someone. A small fine.

Ask former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan who had the nerve to appeal the conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Edgware wrote: »
    Small town Ireland. Cousins marrying cousins, getting aroused if a neighbour makes Winning Streak.

You nailed it, Its like the Hills have Eyes beyond the Red Cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was just reading back the actual events of the night as stated in the District Court
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/healyrae-brothers-to-appeal-assault-convictions-after-chip-van-dispute-38726925.html
    Judge Waters convicted the two brothers and their friend on all charges. He said the entire case hinged on witness credibility and key CCTV footage from the AIB branch in Kenmare. Judge Waters said he found British tourist Kieran James (30) to be "an extremely credible witness" who had "no axe to grind" with the brothers and their friend. The evidence against the brothers and their friend was, he said, "quite compelling".

He noted that Jackie Healy-Rae had the opportunity to take his younger brother, who was intoxicated, away from the scene but did not do so and, instead, became "the third man in".

Judge Waters also noted the CCTV footage which showed the Healy-Rae group charging up the street towards the other group after the initial incident had calmed. "It was quite clear...the three were together in a group running up the street towards the other individuals" where the secondary assaults occurred.

The group then laughed as they left the scene. Judge Waters said he was "absolutely satisfied" that the assaults had occurred as the State argued.

British national Mr James, who was in Kenmare visiting Irish cousins, said he was attacked twice in the space of a few minutes by the two brothers after his wife, Lauren, had commented on Kevin Healy-Rae barging to the top of a queue at a chip van in Kenmare square.

Mr James said the assault - which left him with serious facial injuries including a broken nose - was entirely unprovoked.

He said he had first been placed in a headlock at the chip van and was later punched in the face in a second assault after his group had attempted to leave the area.

When challenged over jumping the queue, several witnesses claimed Kevin Healy-Rae said: "This is my town - and this is my chip van."

None of the three defendants offered direct evidence.

So first Kevin Healy Rae got him in a headlock for around 45 seconds at the chip van. After this scuffle was broken apart the English tourist, his wife and two friends walk away from that van despite having paid for their food but not received it. While they are walking away the two Healy Raes and their friend chase them up the street where one of them locks the English lads arm behind the back while the other Healy Rae goes to work boxing him in the face until his nose is broken.

And despite all this being caught on CCTV and all the witness statements confirming how it happened the Healy Raes still plead not guilty and are saying they are going to appeal. The absolute brass neck on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Even the real rough necks back in the day use to make it a one on one scenario.

• Advertisement

As a first time offender he will be give the benefit of the Probation Act i.e. slap on the wrist. That will be it.

Now, the real hurt will come if the victim sues them for civil damages- that will hit the pocket.
    ker ching ker ching!
    At least Councillor Healy Rae will have good experience of the judicial system which will help with his work on the Policing Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

"He was then appointed to the Co Kerry Joint Policing Committee (JPC). A JPC advises gardai on how to prevent crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour."

Can a convicted criminal be a member of a JPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they have essentially carved up a county between them, if the people of kerry are happy with that then fair enough!

snouts in a trough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

hgfj wrote: »
    "He was then appointed to the Co Kerry Joint Policing Committee (JPC). A JPC advises gardai on how to prevent crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour."

Its Ireland, they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was just reading back the actual events of the night as stated in the District Court
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/healyrae-brothers-to-appeal-assault-convictions-after-chip-van-dispute-38726925.html

So first Kevin Healy Rae got him in a headlock for around 45 seconds at the chip van. After this scuffle was broken apart the English tourist, his wife and two friends walk away from that van despite having paid for their food but not received it. While they are walking away the two Healy Raes and their friend chase them up the street where one of them locks the English lads arm behind the back while the other Healy Rae goes to work boxing him in the face until his nose is broken.

And despite all this being caught on CCTV and all the witness statements confirming how it happened the Healy Raes still plead not guilty and are saying they are going to appeal. The absolute brass neck on them.

You have to admire the brass balls on their solicitor too for the barefaced pack of lies he told to the court on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bob Harris wrote: »
    You have to admire the brass balls on their solicitor too for the barefaced pack of lies he told to the court on their behalf.

it's their town though :)

Their solicitor handles all the free legal cases down here. He's making a fortune from defending scumbags and it's the taxpayer who is paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't you know it's the post-shame era?
    You can tell the biggest porkies or do a complete U turn and still not care.
    Thanks Pres. Trump et al.

Two Dublin scumbags do this and the court would be informed they were on drink and drugs and became violent
    Two amadains from Kerry also on drink and drugs, the court are told ah it’s just 2 young lads letting off steam having the craic with the English tourist who wasn’t acquainted with the local ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where will they be having their turkey and ham this year

hgfj wrote: »

If he was ethical and had a moral compass he would remove himself from the committee.

But this is entitlement Ireland so not going to happen.

Two Dublin scumbags do this and the court would be informed they were on drink and drugs and became violent
    Two amadains from Kerry also on drink and drugs, the court are told ah it’s just 2 young lads letting off steam having the craic with the English tourist who wasn’t acquainted with the local ways...

Give it a rest ffs. Some serious complexes out there on this Dublin v Rural nonsense.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Give it a rest ffs. Some serious complexes out there on this Dublin v Rural nonsense.

What’s that supposed to mean? Are you even Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Come on.. they were found guilty. Their legal representation is a bottom feeder, he/she's going to drag anything, no matter who they are to shine a better light on them and drag anything up to show the victim in a bad light. Look at the Cork solicitor that displayed the 17 year olds rape victims underwear in a rape trial to try and paint the victim badly...

They'll do absolutely anything to make money from Dublin gangsters, peodiphiles and Kerry bullies.

And what the hell difference does it make if the poster isn't Irish? The victim in this case wasn't Irish.

Nice argument. I was questioning your Dublin v rest of the country complex. They have been rightfully convicted of a very serious assault. What does being Irish have to do with anything? Low brow argument.

FWIW I'm as Irish as Irish can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah agreed. Pretty shoddy defence though, he had obviously seen the CCTV and knew his clients were 100% guilty so the best he could come up with was that the Gardai conducted a poor investigation and that people in Ireland hate their family.

Be interesting to see what sentence they get next week, Im guessing 6-12 months suspended. They'll have some bill to pay if/when the English lad takes a civil action for damages against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I met Danny and I was taken aback by his accent and bearing in Relative privacy.

If you know Francis Brennan brother his accent is similar

This “wild man down from the mountains” is a complete act.

And he didn’t increase our charity funding either. Useless !

I met Danny and I was taken aback by his accent and bearing in Relative privacy.

If you know Francis Brennan brother his accent is similar

This “wild man down from the mountains” is a complete act.

And he didn’t increase our charity funding either. Useless !

Another act is his portrayal of how he gets on with Michael Healy Rae. In public their the best of mates but behind closed doors it's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another act is his portrayal of how he gets on with Michael Healy Rae. In public their the best of mates but behind closed doors it's a different matter.

That’s true. I saw a glimpse of that. His brother was ringing his phone a number of times. He ignored. He seemed angry.

There is a feud between them? I doubt that as no way would their political strategy work otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think is a reflection on those in KILGARVAN and surrounds in the constituency. It will never change.

God help us all.

There is a feud between them? I doubt that as no way would their political strategy work otherwise

Your right. Apologies. There is no feud between them

Your right. Apologies. There is no feud between them

You shouldn’t be spreading rumors

You shouldn’t be spreading rumors

Couldn't care less. What I said is true

• Advertisement

Couldn't care less. What I said is true

You just said there was no feud make up your mind

Advertisement