Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dan Jones got turf cut and brought home by a pal of HR.

Ok, so it's made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The amount of people around here who lambast the likes of the Healy-Raes, although with them in particular I would partially bet it's because they look down their noses at the dress sense, the accent, etc.
    Dismiss them at your peril.

And we forever get the cr** about the local issues and concerns of constituents usually falls under the remit of local councillors.

Local councillors can do some good, but a TD has more clout in Irish politics.
    Ireland is small and everything is really centralised in Dublin.

A councillor can shout and scream all they want about a road in their village, but if the county council don't get central funding it can do shag all about it and all the other councillors looking for their roads to be fixed.

And if it is case of likes of pension entitlement or medical card issues the TD is in Dublin and centrally based near HSE and Government Depts unlike the local councillor.

Also this incessant shyte about how the the TDs are national politicians and should be forever debating and working on national issues.

They get elected or unelected by their constituents, not by the nation as a whole.
    And thus their constituency and constituents have precedence.

And if anyone cares to look at any democracy, you will find that elected politicians are always trying to look after their own patch.
    Only a complete moron of a politician would do otherwise.

Do you seriously think a Senator from Idaho or Ohio is continously debating the federal debt, the power of president to start wars, etc ?
    Are they fook they are worried what affects next budget, next defense contract, next spending cuts will have on their patch.

Sadly in the US they are moving away from concern about their electorate, caring less about their constituents and more about those lobbing them to make decisions that will benefit donors and vested interests.

Do you think an MP for Leeds is not considering their constituency when considering health proposals or any other national matter ?

Looking at the way the US has gone with senators and congressmen now buying committee membership and committee chairs our system is not looking half fecking bad. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

It is simple in theory alright, but takes a lot of skill to execute to the level that the Healy Raes have.

To have the good people of Kerry convinced that they're humble men of the land instead of multi millionaire landlords and businessmen, it takes no small amount of guile and they've perfected their shtick.

It's just depressing that so many fall for it, that's all.

All politicians do that, even those on the highest echelons of the game do exactly that, the ones at the very top try to claim they are in control of something they are not, they also try to manage their image in ways that they cannot actually do so in real life. The Healy Raes are no different to the likes of the top politicians broadcast nightly on the TV news that try to showboat them as infallible masters of their fairytale realm of "power".

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Don't be sad.

I'm sure Kerry has it's fair share of multi millionaires and business people and on the law of averages at least one in three of them are voting Healy Rae.

And every one of them with a medical card probably.

Ah look, you're obviously a big fan but ultimately politicians like these do not help their areas long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

And every one of them with a medical card probably.

Ah look, you're obviously a big fan but ultimately politicians like these do not help their areas long term.

This is typical of the schoolboy error that is often made by people who haven't a clue about what the Healy Raes have done for decades for the people of Kerry.

Think about the statistics for a short while, think about the % of people in Kerry that vote No. 1 for them at every election.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Danny lets his feelings be known about a particular subject with some fine oratory skills....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-hate-them-with-every-vein-in-my-body-danny-healy-rae-hits-out-at-serial-objectors-to-tree-felling-39572726.html

You gotta love the man, a straight shooter if ever there was one in Irish politics.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Healy Raes have cultivated a strong brand for themselves, but, also, you don't get to the point of having certain constituencies wrapped up pretty much on name value by having been gobsheens historically. They must have been doing good work for their constituents to get to that point. Others are welcome to come along and challenge for those seats if they think they can do better, and convince Kerry people of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Danny lets his feelings be known about a particular subject with some fine oratory skills....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-hate-them-with-every-vein-in-my-body-danny-healy-rae-hits-out-at-serial-objectors-to-tree-felling-39572726.html

You gotta love the man, a straight shooter if ever there was one in Irish politics.

One of the serial objectors objected and stopped Michael converting a pub in tralee into a possible ghetto... so he was only minding the family and nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

jmayo wrote: »
    And if it is case of likes of pension entitlement or medical card issues the TD is in Dublin and centrally based near HSE and Government Depts unlike the local councillor.

You are either entitled to a pension, or a medical card, or you are not. You know the difference a TD's letter makes to a decision on either? About 20 minutes of a clerical officer's time to double-check the original assessment or application form, and 10 more minutes as s/he prints off an innocuous "We have examined the matter and found the original determination to be correct" letter, which a HR can hand over with a sigh to a constituent with a "I tried my best, Padge, but those feckers up in Dublin..."

Half an hour of a CO's time only costs you, as a taxpayer, about €8 a shot, but sure it's creating employment, I suppose? :rolleyes:

Bellview wrote: »
    One of the serial objectors objected and stopped Michael converting a pub in tralee into a possible ghetto... so he was only minding the family and nothing more

Hahahaha, it all becomes a bit clearer now.:pac:

• Advertisement

A possible ghetto?

Have you ever taken the risk of investing in a property with the intention of renting it?

There are minimum standards required these days that a lot of people who own their own homes would be very happy to have but they can't afford to pay for.

Serial objectors are a blight on this country and society, they literally have nothing else to do only look for faults or loopholes that can halt or stop progress in areas that they have no connection or concern with.

Is the building that was a former pub in Tralee serving any benefit to anyone now?

A possible ghetto?

Have you ever taken the risk of investing in a property with the intention of renting it?

There are minimum standards required these days that a lot of people who own their own homes would be very happy to have but they can't afford to pay for.

Serial objectors are a blight on this country and society, they literally have nothing else to do only look for faults or loopholes that can halt or stop progress in areas that they have no connection or concern with.

Is the building that was a former pub in Tralee serving any benefit to anyone now?

Serial objectors are painful .. I agree.. but my only point the rae have been stopped by one of the serial objectors at bord p.. when the council had approved the plans for a possible ghetto.. which im sure the landlord rae would hand over to hse so to distance themselves from any potential bad publicity.. like what kerry eye provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is great, I must look out for things I can object to if it displeases him.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

This is great, I must look out for things I can object to if it displeases him.

Maura has gone for planning. Its in todays Kerrys Eye newspaper

Maura has gone for planning. Its in todays Kerrys Eye newspaper

I would wait and check compliance after house built.. rather than object

I would wait and check compliance after house built.. rather than object

You need a reason to object, jealousy isn't a valid reason.

You need a reason to object, jealousy isn't a valid reason.

Compliance is a different .. true the rae have a few chips on their shoulders alright. More luck to them

See mhr has abandoned his great friend john delaney..with friends like delaney who needs enemies..

It's because of ye feckers sending the Healy-Raes up to the Dáil, and other countries seeing coverage of them, that we get this.

Entirely your fault.

Have ye no shame?!

The HRs rightly called out oh-so-accurately on their sham men-of-the-people personas. (Sorry, it's the RTÉ site, you've to watch an ad first and it'll probably break...)

• Advertisement

• These lads are a pair of frauds. They have cultivated an image to gain from but the reality is they could not be further away in socio economic background to the people they claim to represent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The H.Raes are going at labour as they see labour as their main threat to their Kerry seats. Self-preservation is their motto as are staged arguments in Kerry in order to get free press in the local papers.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭subpar

The H.Raes are going at labour as they see labour as their main threat to their Kerry seats. Self-preservation is their motto as are staged arguments in Kerry in order to get free press in the local papers.

You are spot on , all politics is local. The Labour vote in Kerry has gone in large numbers to the Really Hay Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

The HRs rightly called out oh-so-accurately on their sham men-of-the-people personas. (Sorry, it's the RTÉ site, you've to watch an ad first and it'll probably break...)

I'm not a fan of the Labour Party, but as the son of a tradesman, I approve this message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doubt Labour are any real threat to the 2 boyos, I'd say their seats are safe.

Doubt Labour are any real threat to the 2 boyos, I'd say their seats are safe.

you are right but not s much that the Rae are great, its more there is little to challenge them.. if there was an election called tomorrow there is a probability this could happen

SF will probably run 2 candidates... it will easy hold its seat... and might pull enough HR votes to get in a fight for a second seat

FG - will hold one seat but won't get 2

FF - only one seat despite Foley being a minister she would not bring in a second candidate... and could lose her seat to another FF ie Brassil

Labour - big mistake not runnig a candidate in last election ...need a strong name and if they ran a candidate could get 4/5,00 votes.. its not long ago they had seats in both south & north kerry

HR - mike or SF would probably top the poll ... but if labour ran a candidate & SF a second candidate would Mike have enough votes to pull in Danny ... & could SF then gain

BTW I'm not a SF fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

C'mon the Rae's, about time someone called him out :pac:...

Poor Eamon, how is he expected to sleep through all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

buried wrote: »
    Poor Eamon, how is he expected to sleep through all that

Brilliant :)

It was an horrendous rant, even with subtitles I struggled to figure out a single word that came out of Danny's mouth.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They do have a very good point.

The bill has stopped Irish peat briquettes from being sold, so now we import them from Germany. The purpose of the bill is to reduce carbon emissions for the planet, yet the net result of the of the Bord na Móna ban is increased carbion emissions..

Same is true for peat compost.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    They do have a very good point.

The bill has stopped Irish peat briquettes from being sold, so now we import them from Germany. The purpose of the bill is to reduce carbon emissions for the planet, yet the net result of the of the Bord na Móna ban is increased carbion emissions..

Same is true for peat compost.

Agree with everything you say, but the way to get that point across is exactly the way you just did there, calmly and clearly, not rant and roar aggressively like an angry person who can't make any sense.

I mean, what you said about the German briquettes is true, and where is the most powerful and influential international HQ of the 'Green Party' based? Alliance 90 in GERMANY. The Healy Rae's would be better off putting that information forward calmly and clearly to the record instead of ranting for nothing which gets us nowhere.

Agree with everything you say, but the way to get that point across is exactly the way you just did there, calmly and clearly, not rant and roar aggressively like a angry person who can't make any sense.

I mean, what you said about the German briquettes is true, and where is the most powerful and influential international HQ of the 'Green Party' based? Alliance 90 in GERMANY. The Healy Rae's would be better off putting that information forward calmly and clearly to the record instead of ranting for nothing which gets us nowhere.

Do you think the issue would be being discussed nationally now if they went about expressing their viewpoint calmly and clearly?

Do you think the issue would be being discussed nationally now if they went about expressing their viewpoint calmly and clearly?

Where is it being discussed nationally? No mainstream media outlet is covering this at all. This new carbon tax is being brought in next month and there isn't a word about it. Rural Peat Briquette factory workers are going to be laid off en masse real soon but whats on todays news? The Carphone Warehouse.

Ranting and raving achieves nothing. You need to do your homework and attack the Greens with facts. But nobody wants to do that

Agree with everything you say, but the way to get that point across is exactly the way you just did there, calmly and clearly, not rant and roar aggressively like an angry person who can't make any sense.

I would totally agree with you if it was a perfect world. Unfortunately in this world the person who gets heard is the one who shouts the loudest.

In a perfect world politician's would agree with you, me and common-sense and see if for what it is - a carbon reduction policy that increases carbon emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I would totally agree with you if it was a perfect world. Unfortunately in this world the person who gets heard is the one who shouts the loudest.

In a perfect world politician's would agree with you, me and common-sense and see if for what it is - a carbon reduction policy that increases carbon emissions.

DHR does shout the loudest and I hear him but haven't a clue what he's saying.

Where is it being discussed nationally? No mainstream media outlet is covering this at all. This new carbon tax is being brought in next month and there isn't a word about it. Rural Peat Briquette factory workers are going to be laid off en masse real soon but whats on todays news? The Carphone Warehouse.

Ranting and raving achieves nothing. You need to do your homework and attack the Greens with facts. But nobody wants to do that

I think we need to give them time, it only happened earlier today, and its in the journe.ie, YouTube, Facebook, and boards ! HRs don't have the benefit of a huge party PR machine.

This is the MHR being greener than the Greens !

I know boards.ie will be mostly on the HR's side here, but do people really think we should just keep harvesting peat until it's all gone? Importing it is wrong too but it's a finite resource and an important carbon sink in Ireland, destroying all of it probably isn't so wise either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

there will be no real reduction in Co2 in this country , the government back out of any and every fight , no way will they take on farmers or turf cutters , we will simply pay a fine and that will be it

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    there will be no real reduction in Co2 in this country , the government back out of any and every fight , no way will they take on farmers or turf cutters , we will simply pay a fine and that will be it

If I'm not mistaken the fines from the EU commission are in the billions, can we afford it?

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »

But it is happening already Max, its been happening at the peat briquette factories since the end of January and there hasn't been a word about it. The factory workers can't protest or take to the streets due to 'de covid 19' restrictions. This is going to happen, all the while the Germans can produce all the peat briquettes the like in this 'global climate crisis' and we in Ireland pay for that German carbon sucking product instead of ours.

I know boards.ie will be mostly on the HR's side here, but do people really think we should just keep harvesting peat until it's all gone? Importing it is wrong too but it's a finite resource and an important carbon sink in Ireland, destroying all of it probably isn't so wise either.

No one is saying that. We are saying that its greener (better for the planet) to burn our own peat rather than import it from Germany until a better solution is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If I'm not mistaken the fines from the EU commission are in the billions, can we afford it?

we spend billions on waste in the HSE every year as it keeps vested interests in jobs and thus keeps voters on side with the government

the farming lobby is too strong to take on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

What fuel would you use if you dident have gas at the flick of a switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

There should be some wood coming on stream for a switch over from bricketts and turf. Wood and wood pellets and 'wood bricketts' should fill the gap.

lalababa wrote: »
    There should be some wood coming on stream for a switch over from bricketts and turf. Wood and wood pellets and 'wood bricketts' should fill the gap.

We have the German peat briquettes already on sale in the shops to 'fill the gap' right now.

mgn wrote: »
    What fuel would you use if you dident have gas at the flick of a switch?

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere where you couldn't get central heating! Although I did rent a flat for 2 years where all I had was plug in oil radiators, those things eat the electricity bill.

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere where you couldn't get central heating! Although I did rent a flat for 2 years where all I had was plug in oil radiators, those things eat the electricity bill.

Me too but my central heating is peat fired !

boardsCH.jpg

Edit: That is my central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Good for you, what fuel do you suggest I use seeing that I don't have gas,

mgn wrote: »
    Good for you, what fuel do you suggest I use seeing that I don't have gas,

That's your problem, I wouldn't live somewhere without central heating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement