Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Although Danny thinks climate change is gods thing so his opinion is at best dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think stopping smokey coal is a fair measure rural or urban .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Being dumb is getting very popular nowadays in political circles, have a look at our dumber than dunb Ministers over the last few weeks, I'm sure Danny must be in line for a Ministry in the future.

God no, the HR's will steer clear of any ministry. Why bother with that sort of responsibility when things are going so well for them.

I have no problem with that myself, the problem happens when you take the smokey stuff out of circulation. the smokeless prices go through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's great to be on the climate change bandwagon when it doesn't affect you.

Wait, what?! Climate change affects literally everyone on the planet. If the only way it affects you is not being able to burn smoky coal, then you're hugely privileged.

I don't burn smokey coal for a start even though I'm not in a smokeless area, I get a ton of smokeless ovoids for the stove now and again, a lot cleaner for my stove and I also use oil and timber.

What do you use to heat your home?

I think air pollution has an impact on everyone both rural areas and urban and do not agree you can burn whatever you want and the smoke etc just vanishes into the air with no consequences .Michael always comes on and thinks just because things have been done for years in rural areas it should be allowed to carry on because it's a tradition.

You see the problem in rural areas is that there is no alternative, you probably have no problem using gas though.

As for sleepy Ryan and Green Family, their tradition is to ban and tax everything no other solution for anything, don't forget these clowns only got 7% of the vote in the last election, they have no authority to lecture anyone, especially rural ones.

• Advertisement

Use electricity myself and would never hold myself up as a example for the climate change side .But I do believe we should do things that are beneficial to our environment where practical . Michael and Danny have very skillfully pushed the them and us attitude and a lot of folk have bought into it but for me the same issues arise whether you live in a rural area or a urban one .We live in a small country so don't think the differences are that great .

Michael and Danny have very skillfully pushed the them and us attitude and a lot of folk have bought into it

yet

would never hold myself up as a example for the climate change side

So they clearly got to you, cos you're buying into the bullshit that that there's sides, too. The rising tides, winds and storms don't think there are sides, and they're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Some quality logic there, ignoring your misunderstanding of representative democracy, our electoral system and how governments are formed under it, using that same logic the Healy Raes and all other independents should never be allowed air time to lecture us either as they got even less than 7%.

I have to ask what percentage of the vote you believe allows an elected official or group of them to be able to lecture the people they were elected by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Very surprised and disappointed in their support of confidence in Coveney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why are you surprised? You do know how they operate, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The 3210 strikes again today in the middle of the Dail, good to see Danny with the riot gear on should things get rough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

He has one of the younger Healy Raes banking him every day now to look busy. He has the secret Samsung out to play Candy Crush when no one's looking.

M

Here's the phone in question, lol, they stopped making them about 15 years ago, does that mean he hasn't claimed the TD's €750 new mobile phone allowance (allowed every 18 months) in 15 plus years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6310i

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/its-good-feel-wanted-danny-24605111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That yoke is only a prop for when the press are onto him for a soundbite. say he has a shiny new device in the jacket pocket.

A new phone every 18 months, and a €750 phone at that! Who the hell came up with that figure?

• Advertisement
    M

No idea but it's what they can claim...

Members' mobile phone allowance

This scheme allows Members to buy a mobile phone and car kit from a provider of their choice and claim back the cost of the equipment to a maximum of €750 in an 18-month period. The costs covered include the purchase of a handset, car kit, yearly insurance premium, maintenance and miscellaneous expenses. In order to be reimbursed, Members must complete a claim form and provide supporting receipts.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/salaries-and-allowances/other-allowances/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ivor Callely famously ran afoul of the phone allowance. He supplied badly forged receipts and got jailed for it, if I remember correctly.

His other gross abuses of the mileage and overnight allowance were just waved off as not the done thing rather than anything strictly illegal. If I was submitting make-believe expenses for round trips to West Cork and stays in hotels in Dublin when I spent all my time in my home Clontarf, I'd like to think I'd get in a bit more trouble when I was caught rapid!

Enough of this diversion, let's get back to the kings of Kilgarvan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I was in the National Library one day a couple of years back and spotted Danny through the railings at the front of Leinster House on the phone. I can confirm he actually uses that Nokia brick as his daily-driver phone. He must be absolutely rapid at Snake at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd think he'd have discovered silent mode by now, then.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fair play, I guess. What would be an embarrassing situ for most of us was turned around into a blow against the Dublin crowd by the peeeepil of rooraald Oirland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They lads were on an Irish times list of the richest TDs and shock horror they are in the top three with over €5 Million in wealth and the largest owner of property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Danny and Michael earned everything they have through sheer grit and hard work. We should all be more like Danny and Michael, up at the crack of dawn on their trusty Nokia 3210s solving people's problems AND finding the time to run a business empire the like of which, the world has never seen the like of which.

Frugal, humble, down to earth, an empathetic ear towards the plain people of Kerry defending their interests against the cruel smart Alecs above there beyond the Red Cow who only want make a mockery of the hard work everyone does be doing down there in the Kingdom.

They're all just jealous of the success and admiration.

*ducks for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

At least these boyos have experience running a business in the real world unlike the rest of them

I can respect them for that

Do they have experience of running a business that doesn't make a fortune off county council contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You could maybe claim the pub is running on its own, but then they got done for tax evasion in the pub and that was quickly swept under the carpet. That would not happen in a normal business. Sorry also the shop would keep going.

The other business's are based on the government keeping them afloat, the roads business is all back handers which brings in millions and could keep any losses in the other business from been a problem. The rental business was all based on them buying houses etc from NAMA on the cheap which they got by been TD's.

Needless to say the list goes on, if the government contracts dried up tomorrow these lads would have a massive dent, would they go bust? probably not as they have lined their pockets already but when you have the whole family on the government payroll it wouldn't be pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Healy Raes are just about the most nakedly cynical politicians in the land.

Like any other politicians , they are occasionally on the ball about a given topic but broadly speaking it's just cute hoorism to the max all of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I have yet to see them be on the ball on any topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fair play to him, credit where it's due!

Wouldn't you be sick after giving Danny a #1 and the fecker doesn't even send you a Christmas card and an A4 calendar paid for by you, but your sister who voted #1 for Michael gets one cos he printed twice as many and posted them out at your expense?!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/calendar-guys-odea-and-healy-rae-top-oireachtas-printing-list-39876607.html

"Women are being attacked? Shure let them have pepper spray!" Good jaysus, you couldn't make it up! 🙄

("But he's right, if only..." in 3... 2... 1...)

The waster still hasn't learned, has he... ffs.

Taxpayers should not be paying for the Healy-Raes' inability to perform a basic proof-read. But no doubt the cute hoor will still try to sell this down home as "schtickin' it to dem up in Dublin!" and the muppets will lap it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Other print jobs that were binned after remaining uncollected in 2020 and 2021 included 15,000 newsletters produced for Fine Gael Senator Tim Lombard, 12,600 newsletters for Fianna Fáil Senator Mary Fitzpatrick, and 10,000 newsletters for Labour Senator Mark Wall.

Three separate print jobs for a total of 33,360 newsletters were binned after Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell failed to collect them from the facility.

His colleague, Josepha Madigan, also failed to collect three print jobs involving a total of 9,400 newsletters.

Fianna Fáil Minister of State Thomas Byrne failed to collect three orders totalling 9,000 newsletters in March 2020.

Wonder were these all due to typo's as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MHR getting into it with Leo.

Healy-Rae denies making homophobic remark at Tánaiste during Dáil spat

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/healy-rae-denies-making-homophobic-remark-at-tanaiste-during-dail-spat-41478560.html

Brilliant politician that MHR. Bringing glory to Kerry at every turn.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Homophobic arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah in fairness it’s a turn of phrase, I have no time for either of the HR’s particularly Danny but from reading the article I don’t think MHR meant it in a homophobic manner, now it’s a bad choice of words and his response is actually quite bad but I really don’t think it was meant as a homophobic slur.

there’s plenty of reasons to dislike him but I don’t think this is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

yeah, I watched it in context in the video and it was just his usual garbage. Quite a silly row.

Off with the fairies in Irish slang has no connotation with homosexuals. Surprised Varadkar would jump on this as he normally never brings up his homosexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not remotely homophobic. It's literally a turn of phrase - airy fairy ideas, or to be away with the fairies - as in away with you with the rest of the out of touch Government with your airy fairy ideas as to what's needed.

People acting like it was some deliberate gay slur are being incredibly disingenuous. He could have said the exact same thing to Michael Martin. Varadkar is incidentally a gay man; it was not said because he's a gay man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How was what he said homophobic? Unless you are referring to something outside that conversation.

Genuine question. I didn't hear any slur there, and I am wondering where it is. Even if he meant the word 'Fairy' to mean homosexual, it is hardly homophobic. Is that defnitely what Leo was referring to?

Does Leo think that he can decide who does and doesn't use the word? He can use it, others can't?

Or did he not like the way it was put to him, whatever was said about the people of Ireland? Leo got it wrong wither way.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Both Leo and MHR play to the crowd on these things, they'll wring all the mileage they can get out of this, and both act the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Read the article on the indo today and was sure there'd be a lively discussion about it on here :-)

Looking at this purely linguistically - since Healey Rae referred to "airy fairies" as referring to a collection of individuals, as has been pointed out to him, it has to come down to who exactly he was talking about. In the context of the debate, doesn't it have to mean objectors to the gas terminal? That seems like the only logical interpretation to me. I think "airy fairies" is perfectly ok as a colloquial albeit undermining term to refer to objectors, but I certainly wouldn't make any link between objectors and the LGBTQ+ community. So my judgement would be that Healey Rae in this instance, didn't err. I'm no fan of the Healey Raes though, it has to be said... but that's neither here nor there :-)

The answer to MHR's question in the linked article is "three". He's used the phrase a grand total of three times, where it's on the record.

One of those, he uses it in the correct context of "airy-fairy ideas" - which is absolutely a common expression. One other occasion he completely misuses it - "that all sounds fine and airy-fairy" when he presumably meant "fine and dandy".

And the third time was the other day:

Like I say, off with you with the airy fairies and see how far it will get you.

Which again is not the way the expression is used at all - "(He's) away with the fairies" meaning he's mad; or airy-fairy ideas meaning poorly thought out ideas.

So I can definitely see how Varadkar could see it as being a homophobic slur, whether or not it was intended as one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Vardkar has used the term Fairy in referring to a man/men before and not "airy-fairies" - was he being homophobic?

Assuming he was referring to the use of the word Fairies, who gave Leo the right to decide who gets to use it, and how?

• Advertisement
Advertisement