Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th - A success story for Boards Moderation?

• 23-05-2018 12:19am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this but I think it needs to be said, Boards has been the an oasis of normality in a turbulent sea of 8th related crap the last few weeks. Yes/ No whatever I had my opinion set years ago and I don't want to hear about it anymore. Unfortunately all my Irish places on the net are infested with it and the accompanying bad feeling, Facebook is a mess of bias and echo chambers and Reddit has become almost completely taken over by referendum threads.. the exception though is Boards and I say fair play to the Mods here on AH for keeping it all contained in the one thread* and keeping things under control for the rest of us

* yes I'm aware of the irony on setting up a new thread and I expect it might be locked sharpish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It has been pretty poor in certain cases, with mods posting warnings and not contacting people, then deleting their own warnings when pointed out they were wrong, allowing people to be badgered and not speak about something but allowing others to taunt one with the thing one is not allowed talk about and nothing is done. But then the site has paid advertising by the Yes campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Brave OP... OP. You’re going to have some dissenting viewpoints. There seems to be the view among some that Yes posters were left off with more. Surely it’s just optics though; there are far more Yes people posting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Woah woah, you seemed to misunderstand. This is nothing to do with the Megathread moderation, it's about Boards keeping it all in there instead of letting it take over the site like has happened to other places. What happens in the Megathread can stay in there

i think no posters got away with a lot of trolling and obvious reregging tbph bht if it kept them safe and off the streets then good luck to them

Woah woah, you seemed to misunderstand. This is nothing to do with the Megathread moderation, it's about Boards keeping it all in there instead of letting it take over the site like has happened to other places. What happens in the Megathread can stay in there

It didn't it went into another thread I had started which was about men health's and the people who have a problem with me in that thread, brought it to that thread and mods did nothing.

• Advertisement

Lads read the blasted OP thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RobertKK wrote: »
    It has been pretty poor in certain cases, with mods posting warnings and not contacting people, then deleting their own warnings when pointed out they were wrong, allowing people to be badgered and not speak about something but allowing others to taunt one with the thing one is not allowed talk about and nothing is done. But then the site has paid advertising by the Yes campaign.

Whatever advertising space the guys in the office sell has nothing to do with the mods and how they perform on their forums, so you can knock off that bullsh*t right now. You've been banging that particular drum all day and you're becoming tiresome.

Lads read the blasted OP thanks

Ah ok, a backslapping thread? Alrighty!

How is all the 8th amendment stuff contained in one thread if we have to see advertising for Yes in other threads?

How is all the 8th amendment stuff contained in one thread if we have to see advertising for Yes in other threads?

Seriously?

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Ah ok, a backslapping thread? Alrighty!

Yeah why not? We get enough whinging ones

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What part of my post above was unclear to you. Keep it up and you'll be watching the rest of the referendum from the Prison forum.

Yeah why not? We get enough whinging ones

I don’t know. It’s a bit weird. But sure maybe it has legs!

I don’t know. It’s a bit weird. But sure maybe it has legs!

Yeah well people are usually more than happy enough to have a go or complain about the moderation (how many threads have we had on it the last year?), but I think compared to everywhere else Boards has got it right this time so why not give a pat on the back? Just inspired by seeing r/ireland turn into a front page battleground, and the failure of their megathread. And I have no reason to believe AH would be any different if it wasn't for the mods shutting down any other thread on the topic

People like to complain. When things are going well, in any area of life, nobody says anything! It’s an incontrovertible fact of life, annoying as it may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Fair play to the mods one and all!
    Been an awful load of bollixology going on for ye to deal with since this started.
    Shout out to the sysadmins too for trying to deal with the rereg problem.

People like to complain. When things are going well, in any area of life, nobody says anything! It’s an incontrovertible fact of life, annoying as it may be.

Very true unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Think there's been a class job keeping it in the one thread (and it's multiple incarnations).

Definitely got it right in terms of containing it specifically to that one thread, a topic like that would usually generate god knows how many threads so yeah, containing it all in one mega thread is a class job in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Boards is generally where I come to discuss big things because you just can’t do it elsewhere. Trying to have these kind of discussions on other social media is an exercise in insanity. The mods in AH have done the best they can on a topic that racks well over a thousand posts a day and countless post reports and goes on around the clock. Especially an emotive topic where - as we’ve seen and or heard on the streets or even in the tv debates - Not everyone is polite about arguing and personal attacks are the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As a moderator it's a hard thread to moderate.
    Personal abuse is easy to deal with.
    Now some of the posts that are deleted are views that I have heard people openly express.
    Same with some of the stats that are sort of true but not true if you know what I men.
    The above does exist tough and whilst we can delete it and edit it.
    It sort of leads to some people living in a bubble regarding the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I remember someone many moons ago telling me self congratulations is no congratulations.

If you want to really see how successful moderation on this site is take a gander at the Politics Cafe forum.
    Hell you might be the only viewer/poster in there and you might actually see a thread that has been updated today.:rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Avoided it for the most part.

At least its not as bad as thejournal.ie which has a hard on for the repeal campaign.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

Not sure where to put this but I think it needs to be said, Boards has been the an oasis of normality in a turbulent sea of 8th related crap the last few weeks.

Define "normality" . The 8th campaign ( both sides) is something you hear about on the radio, see on the streets and on the telly, talk about in work and at home, down the pub and is blasting on every social media outlet.

There may be a view that many posters haven't bothered contributing because a single merged thread will just be a shoutbox/hamster wheel with 1000 posts a day where actual debate gets lost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Avoided it for the most part.

Yeah me too. Let the rabid supporters on both sides slug it out till their fingers bleed says I. Thankfully as the OP says it hasn't, for the most part spilled out of that thread and infected the rest of boards with bile (from both sides, I'm sick of the same arguments being repeated ad infinitum).
    Roll on next week when hopefully 90 per cent of the crazies put down their pitchforks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Largely avoided 8th threads, completely bored of this referendum, largely since my mind was made up years ago on this issue, some arseholes around on both sides

jmayo wrote: »
    I remember someone many moons ago telling me self congratulations is no congratulations.

If you want to really see how successful moderation on this site is take a gander at the Politics Cafe forum.
    Hell you might be the only viewer/poster in there and you might actually see a thread that has been updated today.:rolleyes:
    How is it self congratulations?

You do get the difference between mods of different forums right? How long have you been here?

trellheim wrote: »
    Define "normality" . The 8th campaign ( both sides) is something you hear about on the radio, see on the streets and on the telly, talk about in work and at home, down the pub and is blasting on every social media outlet.

There may be a view that many posters haven't bothered contributing because a single merged thread will just be a shoutbox/hamster wheel with 1000 posts a day where actual debate gets lost.
    That's the problem, it's nice to have one place where you have the choice of getting away from it without shutting yourself out

That's the problem, it's nice to have one place where you have the choice of getting away from it without shutting yourself out

AH would have turned into a nuclear wasteland if not for the mega thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I wish all the immigration stuff could just go back to one thread- the place is full of it

• Advertisement

Without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've given up on a forum I've contributed in for several years due to the biased moderation in an abortion thread.
    Mod is pro choice and that has been reflected in his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

jmayo wrote: »

Glad I seen this. I said something once when I had a few beers on me and the reply I got from one of the mods was enough to put me off drinking for life.

Try_harder wrote: »
    I wish all the immigration stuff could just go back to one thread- the place is full of it

would you like it to .... go back to where it came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've given up on a forum I've contributed in for several years due to the biased moderation in an abortion thread.
    Mod is pro choice and that has been reflected in his actions.

Ah conspiracy time I see.

Without a doubt

Depends on your viewpoint really. If all you care about is a tidy AH front page then thats a valid outlook.

Mine is that you need to see if you are reflective of society somewhat. Like it or not its on every outlet in real world and there's no point at all in posting on the megathread unless you can post at high numbers.

A victory for moderation ? In the tactical sense of holding up the dam maybe but not in terms of facilitating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

would you like it to .... go back to where it came from?

Id like special -Were not racist but- forum for all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Successful moderation?

Saw an example of the ban hammer today for continuing an agreeable conversation (mod didn't like the pro-life tone to the humour and ignored the pro-choice poster... pro-lifer got a ban for continuing the conversation, pro-choicer (with the same amount of posts) did not... balanced modding indeed... definitely no bias there, nope. :rolleyes:

Depends on your viewpoint really. If all you care about is a tidy AH front page then thats a valid outlook.

Mine is that you need to see if you are reflective of society somewhat. Like it or not its on every outlet in real world and there's no point at all in posting on the megathread unless you can post at high numbers.

A victory for moderation ? In the tactical sense of holding up the dam maybe but not in terms of facilitating.
    Good luck with that, the place would be shilled and brigaded to bits

Turn it around ; do you think that the level of debate in the megathread meets any standard ? To me its just like people shouting ; theres no point entering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

trellheim wrote:
    Turn it around ; do you think that the level of debate in the megathread meets any standard ? To me its just like people shouting ; theres no point entering.

Lol isn't that essentially what the referendum has turned into?

It even happened here;
    One complains about modding, another comes in to counter... thread gets derailed by these 'master debaters'

Fcuk that. I'm fed up of listening to it, hearing about it on TV, reading it in the papers.
    Social media is a warped echo chamber with nut jobs from either side having to ensure they always have the last word.

Fcuk this referendum. I cannot WAIT till it's over.

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less though, I'm just happy that it stays there instead of having 50 more threads like it.

I have sympathy for people for people who feel aggrieved but I've seen enough from the whole debate elsewhere on the net to be happy to be able to stay out of it on one site at least

Necrominus wrote: »
    Lol isn't that essentially what the referendum has turned into?

It even happened here;
    One complains about modding, another comes in to counter... thread gets derailed by these 'master debaters'

Fcuk that. I'm fed up of listening to it, hearing about it on TV, reading it in the papers.
    Social media is a warped echo chamber with nut jobs from either side having to ensure they always have the last word.

Fcuk this referendum. I cannot WAIT till it's over.
    And not a single opinion will be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I don’t know what’s going on within the 8th thread but the rest of the place is indeed largely safe from that crap.

Sure; depends on what you want AH to be .

Without a doubt

Look at Reddit Ireland

They abandoned the megathread and its just pro choice crap everywhere. No more random fun stuff until you dig right down

Look at Reddit Ireland

They abandoned the megathread and its just pro choice crap everywhere. No more random fun stuff until you dig right down

It was the absolute state of reddit that inspired me to make this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Having one thread with everyone shouting is vastly preferable to 20 threads....with everyone shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah conspiracy time I see.

Definitely wasn't in the conspiracy theories forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Having one thread with everyone shouting is vastly preferable to 20 threads....with everyone shouting.

If we remove the ban on these extra threads people will be setting up shouting threads willy nilly with casual abandon rather than take precautions to avoid arguments from developing beyond the twelve post milestone, let people continue to travel to other sites to end their arguments!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

minikin wrote: »
    If we remove the ban on these extra threads people will be setting up shouting threads willy nilly with casual abandon rather than take precautions to avoid arguments from developing beyond the twelve post milestone, let people continue to travel to other sites to end their arguments!!!
    giphy.gif:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement