Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving all my possessions from London to Dublin

Options
  • 23-05-2018 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8 bcbs

Hi,

I have been living in the UK for a number of years and accumulated a lot of stuff, including some small furniture pieces which I don't want to throw away.

I am just wondering if anybody can suggest the best of moving all my stuff to Dublin please? It doesn't seem like it's possible to rent a van in London and return it to Dublin

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

bcbs wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been living in the UK for a number of years and accumulated a lot of stuff, including some small furniture pieces which I don't want to throw away.

I am just wondering if anybody can suggest the best of moving all my stuff to Dublin please? It doesn't seem like it's possible to rent a van in London and return it to Dublin

Thanks

Try to get a quote off https://www.shiply.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Can you rent in London and return it to Belfast?
    Get the train back down after you drop it off.

Edit: just checked Europcar from Croydon to Belfast city centre and you can but it'll cost you.

• I'm not answering your question directly, but having been in a similar position, I'd be asking, do you really want/need to bring the furniture back with you?

Is there any real value in it? Will you have somewhere to store it when you move it? How much will the removal van cost? And might it be better and cheaper in the long run to replace furniture when you move?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bcbs

Hadn't thought of that...will check it out thanks

• When you're moving its one less thing to stress about. If you don't really need it, or it hasn't got real value, I'd be leaving it. You might get a company to do house clearances to pay you something for it.

Travel light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

we moved stuff from Norwich to Galway - about 12 boxes of kids stuff, small furniture, appliances etc.

Costed it all out & the rent-a-van and ferry self drive method was more expensive than the delivery method, so we ended up doing a backfill load with a local removal company, where they come and get your stuff & then bring it as part of a bigger shipment when they have one that tallies up with where you're going. Means you have to wait a while, we waited about 6 weeks i think, but a lot cheaper.

Can you rent in London and return it to Belfast?
    Get the train back down after you drop it off.

Edit: just checked Europcar from Croydon to Belfast city centre and you can but it'll cost you.
    With the ferry and everything, its too expensive I reckon but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Have a look in the UK Forum or I think there's a moving back to Ireland forum (on mobile so can't check easily), there might be more ideas.

we moved stuff from Norwich to Galway - about 12 boxes of kids stuff, small furniture, appliances etc.

Costed it all out & the rent-a-van and ferry self drive method was more expensive than the delivery method, so we ended up doing a backfill load with a local removal company, where they come and get your stuff & then bring it as part of a bigger shipment when they have one that tallies up with where you're going. Means you have to wait a while, we waited about 6 weeks i think, but a lot cheaper.
    I costed Rental van + ferry and it doesn't seem worth it.

I would be happy to wait 6 weeks for the stuff. Do you still have the name of the local company in Norwich you used please?

Caranica wrote: »
    Have a look in the UK Forum or I think there's a moving back to Ireland forum (on mobile so can't check easily), there might be more ideas.
    will do! thanks

• Advertisement

What would be ideal was if somebody bought a van in the UK and needed it driven back to Ireland? Or if somebody was buying a van in UK and wanted to fill it up with my stuff to make a few £

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If you have a licence buy a car and move home in it or get insured on a relatives car, fly home and do a return trip in the car.

If you have a licence buy a car and move home in it or get insured on a relatives car, fly home and do a return trip in the car.
    Cheers but it's not viable! Need to have a van going that route anyway to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We moved from Dublin to Edinburgh not so long ago and just rang round a few removals companies. We managed to find a company who were doing that run around when we needed it so we worked on their schedule saved a fortune! There must be a load of companies doing London to Dublin every day so should be able to find someone handy enough. I seem to remember they were shipping over a load of motorbikes and slot machines and we just fit our stuff in around it!

jimmii wrote: »
    We moved from Dublin to Edinburgh not so long ago and just rang round a few removals companies. We managed to find a company who were doing that run around when we needed it so we worked on their schedule saved a fortune! There must be a load of companies doing London to Dublin every day so should be able to find someone handy enough. I seem to remember they were shipping over a load of motorbikes and slot machines and we just fit our stuff in around it!
    Yeah I think that's the best alright...same as moomintroll99 suggested above

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

bcbs wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's the best alright...same as moomintroll99 suggested above

thanks

Wow they waited 6 weeks :eek: ours was only 4 or 5 days. The guys we got were super helpful my wife was on her own at the other end and they insisted on helping despite it being quite late. Fingers crossed you're able to find someone similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is a website where people that own a van can enter a quote, usually for people going in that direction. I can not remember the name of it (kind of like an uber for couriers). Hopefully someone will know the one I am talking about, we used it from France a few years ago.

A few others to compare quotes
    https://www.vanone.co.uk/removals-to-ireland/
    http://www.onemanandhisvan.com/index.php/ireland-uk-ireland-movers/
    https://www.anyvan.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op. I had some boxes/small machinery brought from London a few months ago, I used this guy:

Vincent:

00 44 7831 629517

Himself and his son drive lorries daily between UK and Ireland. It's door-to-door. I got his number from a friend who recently moved home from U.K. and Vincent moved all his furniture/boxes. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Try searching Facebook groups like "Irish in XYZ" and see if there's anyone willing to split costs or find out about available man with van services. That's how I moved from the North West. Best of luck :)

• davo10 wrote: »
    Op. I had some boxes/small machinery brought from London a few months ago, I used this guy:

Vincent:

00 44 7831 629517

Himself and his son drive lorries daily between UK and Ireland. It's door-to-door. I got his number from a friend who recently moved home from U.K. and Vincent moved all his furniture/boxes. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

I think he moved my stuff 20 years ago. Lives in Mayo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Try to get a quote off https://www.shiply.com

I used Shiply twice for furniture delivery from the UK, it was relatively cheap.

Advertisement