Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please!!

Options
  • 23-05-2018 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a concorde frame which is in pretty poor condition cosmetically, not sure what model it is either. The owner has no clue what model frame it is either. However, the biggest problem I can see on the frame is this. the bottom bracket has had the cable guides removed - by a grinder I reckon, and as can be seen from the picture, damage to the bottom bracket as well - is this repairable or is it something to walk away from completely. I'm looking for a restoration project, this ticks all the boxes but is the damage to the bottom bracket a step too far - its a serious bargaining position regarding the price. One other question, is there anyway to tell whether the frame is columbus SL (seller says it is, but columbus stickers long gone). All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I'm looking at a concorde frame which is in pretty poor condition cosmetically, not sure what model it is either. The owner has no clue what model frame it is either. However, the biggest problem I can see on the frame is this. the bottom bracket has had the cable guides removed - by a grinder I reckon, and as can be seen from the picture, damage to the bottom bracket as well - is this repairable or is it something to walk away from completely. I'm looking for a restoration project, this ticks all the boxes but is the damage to the bottom bracket a step too far - its a serious bargaining position regarding the price. One other question, is there anyway to tell whether the frame is columbus SL (seller says it is, but columbus stickers long gone). All advice greatly appreciated.

Personally, I would run, not walk, away from this, but that's not expertise, just the gut feeling that the yoke might be structurally weakened by such interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

bsb1971 wrote: »

Going by the bridge on the seat stays, I would say it’s a good retro frame (eg Columbus something). As to what tube – very difficult to know. Is it light? What is stamped on the dropouts? If it’s lightweight they should be Campagnolo or Columbus.
    The BB looks like it had a fixed cup cut out. Not the prettiest work! A new BB shell could be added, but not cheaply, and would require a full repspray afterwards. Without a new one, the BB is not watertight so would be a service nightmare.

You would have to really want this frame....and be getting it very cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The BB was never watertight, due the the four weight-saving cutouts. This was a nightmare with the cup-and-cone BB's of yesteryear, but today's cassette-style BB's will last a lot better.

The missing cable-guides are a pain, but you should be able to get some suitable plastic ones online, or you can use old-school chrome ones on a band above the BB shell (at the bottom of the seat tube).

The cuts to the drive-side threads aren't nice-looking, but should be ok with a cassette BB. Make sure that the remaining threads are in good condition (the 2% that are missing due to the cuts aren't an issue, but be sure that the other 98% is good).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would say the BB shell was never waterproof and that there was never a cable guide. The marks over the shell are rub marks from cable outers which is how cables were managed over the BB before cable guides. The only damage then is the cut in the edge. You could probably get this welded up and re-cut the BB threads after if the thread integrity is compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

There would have been cable guides, I've had a couple of concordes over the the years and they have brazed on guides. These frames take an Italian BB so they may not have initially realised that the bb unscrews differently.

I would be worried about the bb shell as at a minimum the threads would need to be re tapped. Potentially though the whole area could be bent out of alighment.

I would avoid this bike.

Best place to find good concordes is Holland. Dutch ebay or dealers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

clog wrote: »
    These frames take an Italian BB so they may not have initially realised that the bb unscrews differently.

looks like the two cuts to the left might be a bodge job to loosen a stuck (possible screwing the wrong way) bottom bracket. They can be rethreaded but you'd wonder was any other damage done attempting to remove it. Unless you have an Italian BB on hand to test screw in before you buy you wouldn't know.

Cable guides less of an issue and can find plastic replacements.

Agreed on Holland and shipping is usually surprisingly cheap from there (helps if you are tall though):

https://www.marktplaats.nl/z/fietsen-en-brommers/fietsen-racefietsen/concorde.html?query=concorde&categoryId=464

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Thud wrote: »
    Agreed on Holland and shipping is usually surprisingly cheap from there (helps if you are tall though)

Imagining Thud walking along the undersea shore, head sticking up above the waves, musing "Helps if you're tall."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably in no way economic if possible - how much would havign the BB shell replaced cost?
    if it's possible to replace a tube, is it possible to replace the BB with a newer design?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning towards avoiding it now, as like has been said, it could become very expensive and also who knows what else could be wrong with it! I bought a concorde prelude on ebay from a guy in Holland earlier this year and it's a gem in comparison to this! I enjoy restoring old frames but this one I think I'll give a miss! Woohoo money saved to spend on something else!!

Advertisement