Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Check ?

Options
  • 23-05-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

Firefox on Windows 7.

Bottom right, it says " EN (English Ireland) ". I have " English (GB) Language pack Add On " installed.

Yet, if I try to write " cheque ", it underlines it in red. Same with " centre ". Obviously, it's trying to make me write in American.

Any ideas, please? It'd doing my head in :pac:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Stigura

:confused: Okay. Just followed their instructions to the letter.

There is only the option of " English (United States) ".

Regardless, I went ahead and followed on. Installed the English (GB) Pack, again. No change.

I then installed the Marco Pinto english dictionary. Nope.

Perhaps I should point out that the Mozilla page Does tell me:

Untitled.jpg

:confused: Like; WTF?! Thinking about it? I can only offer that this machine was given to me. Might it be that, when the OS was loaded, they didn't bother to say it was now in Ireland? May it be that 7 thinks it's in US?

Is this changeable? I have no 7 disc. Believe it or not; This machine doesn't even have a disc drive anyway! :eek: Strange little box!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I tried it on my machine. The default lang was set to English/UK so chose English/IE and did the Move Up thing to set it to top of the list and OK. Language is now set as Eng/IE.

Maybe you might need to restore defaults on FF or remove and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In my version of Firefox which is very recent I think, you have to install the language then you have to move it up to the top of the list of installed languages for it to become the default. If you have more than one installed you can delete the other/s as long as you have one in the list.

FanadMan wrote: »
    I tried it on my machine. The default lang was set to English/UK so chose English/IE and did the Move Up thing .....
    Maybe you might need to restore defaults on FF or remove and reinstall.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    In my version of Firefox which is very recent I think, you have to install the language then you have to move it up to the top.

Okay, lads. I did the Restore thing. Thanks, FanadMan. Even managed not to loose all my bookmarks.

I've since re tried The Syco's entire process. Reinstalled the pack ..... Nothing! All I have is this infernal US fixation! Grrrrr!!!

Little icon, bottom right, now says " English US / English Ie. Latter ticked.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this Is the OS. Something overriding Firefox.

Just to add, out of curiosity: I can't get it to fire up on my chosen Start Page either :confused: I tell it Yahoo Mail. It opens on my bloody Modem page.

Honestly, lads; I've used FF for some years now. Never pretended to understand it. But, now? It's just not responding to things I'm asking of it. Things that even I have always managed in the past.

Really appreciate ye patience :)

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What is your PC "locale" setting? How to change system locale in Windows 7

It might be set on US and FF defaulting according to locale.

Also on latest version FF, in settings, if you have more than one language, make sure your preferred language is on top of list(use "move up/down" )
    451449.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

This is going to sound really weird, but does this happen when you're writing an email?

Can you double check that your language is set to English (UK) in that? (example for gmail )

My FF (v 60.0.1 64bit) has the following language packs installed.

EDIT: It sounds like you're having a bigger issue than just the browser. When you open another one (e.g. internet explorer) and head to yahoo mail does that open the modem page too?

fnqqpaF.png

pfo0Aic.png

:( I think I'm shafted, lads. I've been to CP and checked there. Yep. I'm in Ireland.

I've gone to FF Options. I did move english above septic. Then, to be doubly sure, I removed US altogether.

I have the english pack and dictionary.

I rebooted, to make Really sure it had all taken place.

Untitled.jpg
    And, there's another thing: I have my mailer as my home page ~ always have. Turn the machine on and it presents my emails. Not any more! Now, despite my trying everything there too, FF helpfully opens the 3 homepage and shows me my modem connection!

NOTHING I am doing is altering Anything. It's like FF has developed a nasty will of its own and is fcuking with me.

Oh, and for who ever asked? If I write " cheque " in a Yahoo email ..... :(

Thanks, everyone, for ye sterling efforts. But, this thing's just not reacting to what we're trying to do. FF / this machine, overnight, is simply ignoring all the proper commands.

If you bothered about these three words (centre, cheque, fcuking :D) only, workaround could be : Right click -> Add to Dictionary

It never bothered me, but now once you mentioned, have same here on Win8.1 location Irl, locale Irl + FF 60.0.1 (64-bit)
    No spelling highlights for these words (except last one :eek:) in IE

You could go reading here or even submit your question

• Advertisement

... workaround could be : Right click -> Add to Dictionary.

:o Oh god! I feel so Thick now!!! Why didn't I think of that?! Just done the same with " Neighbour " too. That's actually the word that was driving me crazy! I only used " cheque " to ..... er ..... check! :pac:

Okay. Sorted. Thanks.

Now, if I could only get it to open to my mailer :mad:

regards "Home page", i get 3 page when out of credit.

Personally had home page set as about:newtab - this opens as "new tab" where i have all my 40 "tiles" of pinned common websites i want/need to see.
    Originally it was only 30(5x6), but since last update it turned on extra columns and now is 5x8 - suits me, so not going to fiddle. Also noticed that about:newtab entry has gone, "home page" line is blank.

451502.PNG

So far all working the way it was

Would you try to set "home page" to some thing else, save, test, then change back to mail page and see if it works that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Would you try to set "home page" to some thing else, save, test, then change back to mail page and see if it works that way.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Thought we bloody had it, there!!! I set a random forum as my home page. (No option to " Save " anything on that page of my 'options' menu)

Hit the X. Closed everything down. Clicked to reopen FF. Boosh! Up came that forum!

Went back in. Swapped the forum for Yahoo. Shut down. Reopened ..... Cigars!!! Yahoo Mailer!!!

Then, just to ensure I'd still be a happy bunny tomorrow? I Restarted the whole machine .......... And it opened on f**king 3!!! :mad: F**king pox on f**king FF!!! And their 'Help Forum' makes it so bloody involved and difficult to get into, I never managed it.

Seriously; I'm getting a bit f**king pissed with FF, all told. Some time ago, their icon, in my start menu / bar turned to this:

Untitled.jpg
    It's all just slipped steadily into rat sh!t ever since. Now, it's fast becoming less tenable with every bloody update.

Pardon the rant. But, I've effectively spent my bloody Day trying to sort this out. All you people trying to help. And they're just laughing in our faces.

Grammarly: Thanks for that, Paul. But, I think that might aggravate me even more :p

I very much have my own style of writing. Having something looking over my shoulder and suggesting I change what I just wrote? Couldn't see it lasting five minutes.

Stigura wrote: »
    :mad: :mad: :mad: (No option to " Save " anything on that page of my 'options' menu)
    My mistake - close window/tab saves
    Stigura wrote: »
    Then, just to ensure I'd still be a happy bunny tomorrow? I Restarted the whole machine .......... And it opened on f**king 3!!! :mad: F**king pox on f**king FF!!! And their 'Help Forum' makes it so bloody involved and difficult to get into, I never managed it.
    Seriously; I'm getting a bit f**king pissed with FF, all told. Some time ago, their icon, in my start menu / bar turned to this....
    Here it makes no sense to have any dictionary installed, don't think even Grammarly could handle this :D

At this point i would go for:
    1. Clean cookies and history - test.

2. Give a try to "Refresh Firefox"(recommended - let FF do its job) - test. Read carefully what you loose and what will be saved for you.

3. Backup your FF profile (local (just in case) and roaming (this what "Refresh FF" saves - very important)) manually and uninstall FF completely. Profile folders have exact same name - keep them in separate location (sample: d:\FFlocal\profilefoldername and d:\FFroaming\profilefoldername) - don't mix/overwrite.
    Install fresh FF, manually restore your profile(optional) or build all from scratch. This option time consuming.

4. *censored* this!! and use different browser. :(

Smuggler; I genuinely think 4 may be the better option, at this point.

1. Would leave me trying to figure out and reinsert the passwords of everywhere I go. I absolute Hate it when that happens. Another wasted day.

2. I did, last night, at another posters suggestion. What a carve up That resulted in! Ye know the FF home page Tabs? Half of mine, loving cultured the day before, Gone! That sort of thing challenges a mans will! Like 1.

3. :confused: Sorry. Forget it! I can switch this thing on, and read fora. Beyond that? Very shaky. I couldn't back up an assertion!

4. What else is even out there? I was absolutely terrified that I'd break the internet and end up throwing myself into the void when I took the leap of blind faith and went over to FF.

FF has always been fine, by me. But, in 2018? It just seems to have become an ongoing train wreck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Would leave me trying to figure out and reinsert the passwords of everywhere I go.

Probably better to use a standalone password manager which would auto fill login details in any browser.

Lastpass and Keepass are two examples, there are many others. Some of them have an "import from browser" option and the encrypted password file can be used on mobile devices in conjunction with a phone app.

I see...
    If you clear cookies then websites won't remember you anymore and you need to login once again.
    You will still have the passwords in the Profile Manager if you have saved them.
    • Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: "Saved Passwords" > "Show Passwords"

If willing to give another try with reinstalling FF could help guiding you. Backing up profile would be just copying folder(s) to other location.

If moving to different browser you will face to re-enter and save(optional) all passwords anyway. FF has feature to import passwords from other browser, other browsers might do same - never used, don't know.

You can find all saved credentials (if any) within FF here:
    1. in address bar type(copy/paste): about:preferences#privacy
    2. click "Saved Logins...", then "Show Passwords", confirm "Yes". You can resize window to show all passwords and take screenshot(temp measure)

Password management solution suggested by Ten Pin also very good.

Thanks, again lads. Now, I'm gonna step back from this whole thing. Give my slow ~ and distracted ~ old mind a chance to absorb and mull it.

See; I have Another machine here. Bought off Amazon. Loaded with 7. Not even unwrapped yet.

And, here's the kicker: I'm chatting to a mate, in NZ, on Telegram. Last night, I 'called' her. She said 'Allo' and I was falling about! :D I said, then, I'd dig out my old web cam. Because it has a mike. We could voice chat.

Dug it out, today. Then it dawned on me; This bloody machine's got no disc drive! :eek: I can't load the software!

Torn, see? Do I press on and try to repair the damage FF has done to itself, on here? Or, to I put this one away as back up and start afresh with the new machine?

Tldr? Head's f**ked! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement