Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel Eir landline for an elderly relative

Options
  • 23-05-2018 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can you help please about best way to proceed ?

An elderly relative of our family has gone into long term care and will not be returning home to her house.

We are tidying up loose ends for her and the phoneline is one of them.
    She will no longer need this so I would like to arrange closing the account and landline on her behalf.

How do I go about this ? I have all account details etc, but I don't want to ring customer service for somebody to tell me that only the account holder can do this .

Thank you .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Hi

Can you help please about best way to proceed ?

An elderly relative of our family has gone into long term care and will not be returning home to her house.

We are tidying up loose ends for her and the phoneline is one of them.
    She will no longer need this so I would like to arrange closing the account and landline on her behalf.

How do I go about this ? I have all account details etc, but I don't want to ring customer service for somebody to tell me that only the account holder can do this .

Thank you .
    Hi andrew1977, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. 

Unfortunately, the account holder can only be closed down by the account holder themselves. When you ring customer care on 1901 you would need to be with the account holder and they will need to confirm they are the account holder and they can proceed from there. 

They can advise you on all. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi Tracey

Unfortunately the elderly person is not in a position healthwise to deal with things like this now, hence why her family are acting on her behalf on all such matters.

So can you tell me what the alternative is ? I am sure Eir have experienced this before.

Thanks for your help

Hi Tracey

Unfortunately the elderly person is not in a position healthwise to deal with things like this now, hence why her family are acting on her behalf on all such matters.

So can you tell me what the alternative is ? I am sure Eir have experienced this before.

Thanks for your help
    I completely understand. 

I've queried this with our data protection officer, as soon as I hear back I'll come back to you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I wish you luck with this Andrew1977, based on my own experience Eir are nothing but disrespectful regarding the treatment of older customers. Their customer support channels are both confusing and unhelpful and leave older customers bewildered and frustrated.

Hi Tracey

Thanks for your help
    Hi andrew1977, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have spoken with the data protection officer in relation to this and they have advised that you will need to be appointed the power of attorney to proceed with this request. 

Once this has been done you can then send an email to accountchange@eir.ie or a letter to - Account change Admin, 3rd Floor Telephone House, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1.  
    You will need to include the following details - Account number/Account holder's name/Legal Representative's name/Legal representative's date of birth and Legal password. 
    A scanned copy of Power of Attorney/headed paper from the legal Representatives is also required within the email. 
    When this is received our back office team will get in contact with you to arrange this and advise you on all. 

Only one legal Representative can be assigned to an account. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Hi Tracey

Thanks for the information, will try get all that sorted now.

When you say " legal password " , what do you mean by that ?

Hi Tracey

Thanks for the information, will try get all that sorted now.

When you say " legal password " , what do you mean by that ?
    No problem at all. 

The legal representative's password is a password you would create for security reasons. 

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It must surely be possible that the account can be closed by letter signed by the account holder. A power of attorney would have to be signed by your relative anyway (presumably).

OP, if you get the runaround, contact Comreg and ask them how to get it cancelled without having to go through numerous repetitive hoops.

Ten Pin, yes I agree with you , at this moment in time with the sick relative and tidying up the affairs, going through hoops with Eir to get an account closed is not something I will tolerate. 

2 other service providers this week could not have any more helpful if they tried to assist with some of the relatives accounts closures.

Lets see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's unfortunate the process is a bit onerous but it's necessary to prevent elderly abuse, imagine if just anyone could close an older person's account without having express permission to manage their affairs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement