Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose surveyor?

Options
  • 23-05-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

How do you choose a property surveyor?

I'm sale agreed on a house in Meath and have gotten a few quotes for the survey on it, ranging from €400 to €500, but I don't know how to choose one. They are all chartered surveyors, but one (one of the most expensive) mentioned something called a Type 2 report as being recommended by the SCSI. Is that the ideal report to get?

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

How do you choose a property surveyor?

I'm sale agreed on a house in Meath and have gotten a few quotes for the survey on it, ranging from €400 to €500, but I don't know how to choose one. They are all chartered surveyors, but one (one of the most expensive) mentioned something called a Type 2 report as being recommended by the SCSI. Is that the ideal report to get?

Any help will be appreciated.

Why do you need a chartered surveyor?

Is it for a pre purchase report, do you mean a building engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Why do you need a chartered surveyor?

Is it for a pre purchase report, do you mean a building engineer?

Yes it is a pre-purchase report. I don't actually know if I need a chartered surveyor or not, hence me asking here :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Yes it is a pre-purchase report. I don't actually know if I need a chartered surveyor or not, hence me asking here :o .

I was wondering, a chartered surveyor generally works with numbers not bricks and mortar.

A chartered quantity surveyor deals with costing builds. While a building engineer can also be a chartered surveyor, most are not.

Anywho, back to your question, they all seem to charge between €400 + €500 (plus VAT) so if you are getting quotes of €400 including vat, that seems quite good.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I was wondering, a chartered surveyor generally works with numbers not bricks and mortar.

A chartered quantity surveyor deals with costing builds. While a building engineer can also be a chartered surveyor, most are not.

Anywho, back to your question, they all seem to charge between €400 + €500 (plus VAT) so if you are getting quotes of €400 including vat, that seems quite good.

Actually, it's plus VAT. They all quote X plus VAT and in my work everything is plus VAT (most customers are commercial) so sometimes I don't notice it.

It's not so much that they are expensive (they are, but no more expensive than ones used by people I've asked). It's just that the price difference between cheapest and dearest is nearly €100(+VAT) and I want to make sure I'm getting the same service with the one I go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I suspect the OP is referring to a Chartered Building Surveyor which would be the right person, (the SCSI are the society for all types of surveyors and they operate the Chartership and professional association for project management surveyors to general practice to QS's)

Op- I surprised only one mentioned a type 2 survey, what did the others mention? Type 2 is generally most applicable but it depends on the property, new/old/historic but in general people go for type 2.

All I could say in terms of selecting one over another is, can anyone give you a personal recommendation of someone they have used before? you could maybe ask for a sample report to compare but I dont think it'll make a huge difference you do just need to select one you feel happy with.

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    Op- I surprised only one mentioned a type 2 survey, what did the others mention? Type 2 is generally most applicable but it depends on the property, new/old/historic but in general people go for type 2.

The house I'm looking is at least a few decades old.
    I got 7 quotes, only 1 specifically mentioned "Type 2", a few of the others had detailed sample reports attached though.
    Doop wrote: »
    All I could say in terms of selecting one over another is, can anyone give you a personal recommendation of someone they have used before? you could maybe ask for a sample report to compare but I dont think it'll make a huge difference you do just need to select one you feel happy with.

I had a personal recommendation from my sister who had some done 7/8 years ago, but the company she used closed in the mean time :pac:.

The one I picked ended up being the cheapest one, but their supplied details and list of what they cover seemed to cover all the bases.

Advertisement