Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr scope recommendation

Options
  • 23-05-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

As above looking for opinions on what scope to buy for my ruger 10/22.

Use it for vermin/small game. Not used for target as i have another 10/22 for that.

Any and all ideas welcome. I am using a nikko stirling at the moment, and it does the job but its cheap and glass is not the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

As above looking for opinions on what scope to buy for my ruger 10/22.

Use it for vermin/small game. Not used for target as i have another 10/22 for that.

Any and all ideas welcome. I am using a nikko stirling at the moment, and it does the job but its cheap and glass is not the best.

How deep are your pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

meh not that deep, 300-400 area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I've been using a bushnell banner dusk till dawn for a couple of years on my 10/22 and have no complaints.Have recently put a Hawke vantage on my CZ455 and again have found no problems.With that said Im very much in the novice category so perhaps Im just not seeing the faults that an experienced shooter would.Both are well within your budget .

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have a Hawke vantage scope aswell and it's very good for the money. You can get a scope for the 22 lr with calibrated hold points for subsonic ammo which is very useful. It takes the hassle out of working out hold over on targets once your scope is zerod at 50 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Have both of the above (Banner 4x32 Circle-X & Vantage [ne: Varmint] 6-24x44 Mildot SWAT) and can vouch for either - both excellent value for money. Prefer the circle reticle of the Bushnell to the straight mil-dot setup personally, but the bushnell only has capped thumbscrew so dialing is impractical, and the wide view coupled with the absence of subtensions in the reticle means that holdover is tough enough to be consistent with - that being said, it's a very light, very low profile scope which suits a light walking rig really well, although it's better suited to a faster round than the 22LR.

The Hawke has capped turrets (non-resettable), so adjustment is an option; and the SWAT is also handy if you're shooting at closer ranges, but the 6x wide end is a bit tight for field work at typical 22LR ranges IMO (fine once you get out past ~80m though).

Both were superseded by a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 - bit outside your budget, but I won't be buying again. Incredible piece of kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have just bought the Nikko sterling Diamong Long Range 4-16x50. at £239 + £4.50 P&P (plus Parcel motel) from Opticswarehouse.
    Now this is looking like it's a keeper.
    Glass is very good, very clear view and very little of the scopes metal showing when viewed, like the best scopes do, just a nice BIG view of your target. It has good big turrets with return to zero stop. I got the 'Hold Fast' reticle (just for a change from the mildot)
    I have this on a Marlin lever action .38spl for gallery rifle comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dbl Top

I can assure you that Clive knows what he’s talking about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unchopped

What part of the country are you in George?

Based in kildare

Thanks

Based in kildare

Thanks

Get yourself along to Harbour House on a Saturday for a good look at the different scopes on many 10/22's

• Advertisement

Thanks clive i am a member down in hh but only really shoot clays. May pop into paddy see what he has on offer

Thanks clive i am a member down in hh but only really shoot clays. May pop into paddy see what he has on offer

Just too add here
    I have a UTG SWAT 4-16x44mm on my 10/22 now for Gallery shooting. Nice glass, light weight and small.
    It may be just what your looking for. (might be selling it soon)

clivej wrote: »
    Just too add here
    I have a UTG SWAT 4-16x44mm on my 10/22 now for Gallery shooting. Nice glass, light weight and small.
    It may be just what your looking for. (might be selling it soon)

thank clive i will make contact with you the next time im out as i believe i have met you before doing a shotgun target day last year

Advertisement