Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance under a named driver

Options
  • 23-05-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I currently have a provisional licence under my sisters insurance which is due for renewal. She wants a new car but will wait until I get a full licence. HW

The plan is for her to take out a policy for a year and pay the year in full with me included under her as a named driver.

My question is,in a months time if I get a licence and she moves her insurance to her new car  I obviously will not be under her insurance any longer. And will take out a policy under my own name on her current car.

So what happens to the money I payed. Will it be refunded on a pro rata basis, is there any early termination charges? Am I locked into keeping my insurance with Liberty or else I will lose the money I payed? Does Liberty keep my money?

Separate question, the couple months of experience I have already and will gain, under her name. will that be recognized by Liberty when taking out my own policy?

Regards,

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

davcakes69 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I currently have a provisional licence under my sisters insurance which is due for renewal. She wants a new car but will wait until I get a full licence. HW

The plan is for her to take out a policy for a year and pay the year in full with me included under her as a named driver.

My question is,in a months time if I get a licence and she moves her insurance to her new car  I obviously will not be under her insurance any longer. And will take out a policy under my own name on her current car.

So what happens to the money I payed. Will it be refunded on a pro rata basis, is there any early termination charges? Am I locked into keeping my insurance with Liberty or else I will lose the money I payed? Does Liberty keep my money?

Separate question, the couple months of experience I have already and will gain, under her name. will that be recognized by Liberty when taking out my own policy?

Regards,
    Hi Davcakes69

Your sister can remove you from her policy at any stage. When you make a change to a policy during the year the premiums are calculated on a pro rata basis and an administration fee of €30 may be charged. Any refund in premium would be refunded back to your sister or if she pay's by direct debit your remaining payments would be reduced.

We allow a discount called a Named Driving Experience for drivers who have never held a policy in their own name before but have been covered as a named driver on someone else's policy without claims. It works in the same way as a No Claims Bonus so you get a discount for every year you have been a named driver. You would have to be named on your sisters policy for a full year to get a Named Driving Experience.

Hope this helps.

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davcakes69

Hi there,

Regards,
    Hi Davcakes69

Your sister can remove you from her policy at any stage. When you make a change to a policy during the year the premiums are calculated on a pro rata basis and an administration fee of €30 may be charged. Any refund in premium would be refunded back to your sister or if she pay's by direct debit your remaining payments would be reduced.

We allow a discount called a Named Driving Experience for drivers who have never held a policy in their own name before but have been covered as a named driver on someone else's policy without claims. It works in the same way as a No Claims Bonus so you get a discount for every year you have been a named driver. You would have to be named on your sisters policy for a full year to get a Named Driving Experience.

Hope this helps.

Seán
    Hi Seán,

That fair enough I'm happy with that, thanks so much.

Regards

davcakes69

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davcakes69

Hi there,

Regards,
    Hi Davcakes69

Hope this helps.

Seán
    Hi Seán,

Regards

davcakes69
    Hi Sean,

Quick final question,

What kind of discount is named driver experience? I am under her insurance for about  4 months ago. If she renews do I have to wait a year from when she renews or will Liberty recognize the last few 4 months so I have to wait 8 months under her name or do I have to wait the 12 months from renewal?

Regards 

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Hi there,

Regards,
    Hi Davcakes69

Hope this helps.

Seán
    Hi Seán,

Regards

davcakes69
    Hi Sean,

Quick final question,

What kind of discount is named driver experience? I am under her insurance for about  4 months ago. If she renews do I have to wait a year from when she renews or will Liberty recognize the last few 4 months so I have to wait 8 months under her name or do I have to wait the 12 months from renewal?

Regards 
    Hi Davcakes69

Named Driving Experience works in a similar way to No Claims Bonus. We allow a discount for each year you have been covered as a named driver on a policy up to a maximum of five years. Once you have been covered on your sisters policy for a full year we would accept this as a one year Named Driving Experience. 

Seán

Advertisement