Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for events outside Ireland

Options
  • 23-05-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has taken out insurance for traveling outside of Ireland to participate in a sportive and have any recommendations? Or would you even bother? I mainly want to protect my bike against damage/theft and also have 3rd party insurance in case of any accidents etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Travel insurance, depending on the policy will protect against most of this. CI can cover against 3rd party as it does here, although I would notify them of your intention to complete said event and ask to see are you covered, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've used SportsCover Direct. My VHI travel policy had limitations on bike use while riding organised events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The event organizers usually provide insurance either as an “add-on” extra or its included in the entry fee.

It won’t cover bike theft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

CramCycle wrote: »
    Travel insurance, depending on the policy will protect against most of this.

My travel insurance policy includes the sports package, which I had always assumed includes cycling abroad. However, I rang them recently to confirm this. They told me that cycling is not covered where cycling is the main event i.e. the reason for the trip abroad. So this rules out events like Raids, Marmottes, etc. Casual cycling abroad is covered e.g. cycling from the campsite to the shop for a baguette.

Advertisement