Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2018 Stage 17: Riva del Garda - Iseo (155 km)

Options
  • 23-05-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find a thread...

giro-d-italia-2018-stage-17-profile-n2.jpg

giro-d-italia-2018-stage-17-map-n2.jpg

giro-d-italia-2018-stage-17-finish.jpg

Stolen from Cyclingnews forum:
    So this year the wine stage is a transitional stage that bring the riders into Lombardia, in the Franciacorta area. From the shores of Garda Lake, the peloton will climb from km 0, on the way to Molina di Ledro (10 km at 5.5%, uncategorized, because reasons...). At the top there is a plateau of 15 km before a descent brings everyone at the bottom again. The first and only categorized climb of the day comes after 30 km of false flats. Lodrino (GPM3, 8.1 km at 4%) is on all accounts easier that the uncategorized climb at the start, but whatever. After it, there is still another uncategorized climb, around 7 km at 4%. The remainder of the stage is flattish, and makes a nice tour of the area near the lake Iseo. The finish is in the town with the same name.

GC:
    1 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 66:39:14
    2 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:56
    3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:03:11
    4 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:03:50
    5 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 0:04:19
    6 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:04
    7 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:05:37
    8 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:06:02
    9 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 0:06:07
    10 George Bennett (NZl) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:07:01

Live TV coverage on Eurosport now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't seen any of the TV coverage yet, but according to the Cyclingnews text ticker the action so far has been relentless. The world and his wife want to be in the breakaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Break of eight have 30seconds only. 75km to go. Rain just starting on the course

Kenny Elissonde (Team Sky)
    Wout Poels (Team Sky)
    Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana)
    Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida)
    Ben Hermans (Israel Cycling Academy)
    Alessandro De Marchi (BMC)
    Alexandre Geniez (AG2R)
    Max Schachmann (Quick-Step)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Poels and ellisonde in a break in a flattish stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

retalivity wrote: »
    Poels and ellisonde in a break in a flattish stage??

Yeah. Down to 5 but Poels still there and Sanchez is going nuts about it because the pack are chasing (or Sammy Bs team are at least)

Presume Sky have calculated that this works to their plan......whatever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

viviani with a mechanical

• Advertisement

The pace has slowed down finally.
    Viviani back in the peloton.
    Dumoulin also had to stop with a mechanical (or had to take a sh*t)

LL Sanchez, Poels, Hermans and De Marchi have a lead of 1'42".
    There's only 40 km to go though! :D
    What a bizarre stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sprint finish in store, 23km to go

Less than 6 km to go

Oh it's nasty there at end, absolutely pissing it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Bennett too far back again

Bennett second, Bonifazio third.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bennett too far back again

Yep he had much the better sprint, but just started too far back, shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭happytramp

Must be gutted after his team worked so hard all day only to lose position in the last few hundred meters. He knows he should have won that.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

He seemed fairly upset in the post race interview, just ran out of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭happytramp

He was about 9th position when Vivian started his sprint.

Viviani's last lead out man is about to peel off and Sam is in 9th place already out in the wind

Dd4_YKiUQAExjXE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Viviani's last lead out man is about to peel off and Sam is in 9th place already out in the wind

Dd4_YKiUQAExjXE.jpg

Podium finish and he knows he could have won it. There will be fire in the belly (I hope) when they roll into Rome to nail the last stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Seems like Bennett is the best sprinter, but the worst at positioning himself. 
    He should watch a few Cav videos, no matter what happened to his lead out train, Cav always got on a good wheel and fought for a good position early on. 
    Bennett never looked to be in a good position, hes waiting around for someone else to make a mistake rather than him making things happen.  
    Does Bennett study the finish, thats twice now hes been caught out taking the long way round on a left hand finish. Viviani took the inside line on boths his last wins. 
    Amazing race none the less, the Giro and the Vuelta are far better entertainment than the  TourDF,

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

hmmm....I thought that Quick Step basically sat in all day - Jumbo and Bora at the front....I thought it was sort of 'unwritten' that if ye want the win you send your team up to the front to help out.
    Even Kelly hinted at it in the post stage commentary that QS 'just appeared' at the front on the lead into the finish.
    Bad form I thought from QS sitting in all day and taking the win but sure 'a win is a win' I suppose. I wouldn't be so terribly proud of that but that's just me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Advertisement