Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting Limerick student gets his passport back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Wtf?

How mind-boggling is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If he never comes back again it’s not the worst result in the world either, he can be Nigeria’s problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If he never comes back again it’s not the worst result in the world either, he can be Nigeria’s problem.

Or he just comes back with his documents "lost" en route and gives a false name to get on the asylum merry go round again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Or he just comes back with his documents "lost" en route and gives a false name to get on the asylum merry go round again.

He’ll need to lose his fingerprints too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why was he even in this country in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Before I even opened the thread I knew it would be judge Tom O' Donnell. The criminals friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

FFS this justice system is a joke,

He’ll need to lose his fingerprints too.

Do we fingerprint all Asylum Seekers in Ireland and check the match with a database of crime suspects?

I see no reason to assume that we do but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you have any information on this.

Edit: I stand corrected. We do record fingerprints of Asylum Seekers in Ireland as part of the Eurodac system. However this seems to be primarily for the purpose of clarifying the applicant's first country of entry to the EU and it is unclear if fingerprints are cross-checked with Garda criminal records or whether this man's fingerprints were taken as a suspect in this reported crime. Also Eurodac records are wiped 2 years after one receives a residency permit or leaves the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Beggars belief..laughing all the way to Nigeria........and back as his brother.

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why was he even in this country in the first place.

Because he's as Oirish as Padraig Seamus O'Flaherty, Don't you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The man is not guilty of any crime at this point. He has been charged, we don't even know the circumstances surrounding the case and here we have people saying he is guilty already.

There are a lot of decent, honest, hardworking people living in this country who came from Nigeria.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are a lot of decent, honest, hardworking people living in this country who came from Nigeria.

Who would most likely be as disgusted as anyone else if a family member or friend was sexually assaulted and the only suspect was given leave to travel to a non-extradition country before the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I know that's a thing, but how does that even work doesn't the Airline know who they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Do we fingerprint all Asylum Seekers in Ireland and check the match with a database of crime suspects?

I see no reason to assume that we do but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you have any information on this.

Online searches don't find any mention of it. The website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service details that it is required for visas from some countries but does not describe it when documenting the asylum process.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/the_asylum_process_in_ireland/eurodac_system.html

We and every country in Europe finger print asylum seekers.

It was literally the very first search result when I searched for "fingerprint asylum seekers ireland" . It's the second result for "fingerprint asylum seekers".Maybe you need to learn how to use google.

Varik wrote: »
    I know that's a thing, but how does that even work doesn't the Airline know who they are?

People generally do not get on an international passenger flight without identification so the conclusion is that it is disposed of between boarding and presenting to customs in the destination country. Without documentation the applicant is free to spin virtually any yarn of being from a particularly dangerous or oppressive place, regardless of the truth.
    Grayson wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/the_asylum_process_in_ireland/eurodac_system.html

We and every country in Europe finger print asylum seekers.

It was literally the very first search result when I searched for "fingerprint asylum seekers ireland" . It's the second result for "fingerprint asylum seekers".Maybe you need to learn how to use google.

Thanks for the info. No need to be passive aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Online searches don't find any mention of it. The website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service details that it is required for visas from some countries but does not describe it when documenting the asylum process.
    Grayson wrote: »

Given the amount of times that people ask leading questions like that to try and (for example in this case) scaremonger and pretend to care under guise of 'seeking information', being passive agressive is perfectly reasonable.

I've seen your edit by the way, and it doesn't change the way I get the impression you're coming at this topic. Most people would have left out the 'however' part.

I could be wrong, no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ironic.

Given the amount of times that people ask leading questions like that to try and (for example in this case) scaremonger and pretend to care under guise of 'seeking information', being passive agressive is perfectly reasonable.

I've seen your edit by the way, and it doesn't change the way I get the impression you're coming at this topic. Most people would have left out the 'however' part.

I could be wrong, no big deal.

My question was relevant to the discussion, which was about the accused in a sexual assault case being given leave to go to a non-extradition country before his trial.

I'm not convinced that the Eurodac fingerprinting system will be sufficient to prevent an accused from going on the lam and re-entering under a different identity. I outlined my reasons why and neither you nor anyone else has even attempted to rebut them.

This purports to be a discussion site. Passive-aggression and accusing people you disagree with of scaremongering and ulterior motives simply shut down discussion, to the detriment of the site.

Advertisement