Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer inspection before closing the next day

Options
  • 23-05-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are currently at contract signed stage with our buyer and are closing next week. Our EA texted to say they would want to carry out an inspection before closing and advised this is normal.

I've never heard of it before now and was just confirming that this is normal at this stage of the sales process?

Any advice would helpful

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Hi All,

We are currently at contract signed stage with our buyer and are closing next week. Our EA texted to say they would want to carry out an inspection before closing and advised this is normal.

I've never heard of it before now and was just confirming that this is normal at this stage of the sales process?

Any advice would helpful

Thanks all

We had it when selling, I don't think it's hugely common but it's does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Thestones wrote: »
    We had it when selling, I don't think it's hugely common but it's does happen.

I can understand it but wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭denismc

I guess they want to see every is in order before signing, unless you have trashed the place since the previous viewings I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I can understand it but wasn't expecting it.

Yeah it got dropped on us last minute aswell which catches you off guard but all was fine in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Normal but uncommon. We inspected ours before we closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We were advised by our Solicitor to inspect before Closing our Purchase. We did so the morning of Closing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very common nowadays.
    I’ve seen houses that were stripped of the new boiler, even the rads were taking out and replaced with older worn ones.

It’s to ensure that the buyers are getting what they are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Also to make sure that there isn't a load of junk being left behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Very common and pretty much standard going by our solicitor and estate agent when buying.

We did an inspection and failed to specify that we wanted a soiled mattress and broken furniture removed, when the agent said the buyer needed "an extra week to clear the house" we presumed it was for these items as everything else was gone. Anyway we got the keys and the junk was left behind.

Obviously you're the seller and I'm sure you wouldn't dream of doing this but for any potential buyers reading, be specific in what you want done/removed/kept before closing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

kceire wrote: »
    Very common nowadays.
    I’ve seen houses that were stripped of the new boiler, even the roads were taking out and replaced with older worn ones.

It’s to ensure that the buyers are getting what they are paying for.

I've seen grass lifted but roads! Fooking hell! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've seen grass lifted but roads! Fooking hell! :pac:

Sorry, should be rads.
    Stupid auto correct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Thanks everyone, we will have everything that wasn't agreed to stay removed. Attic cleared and shed cleared etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I never understood the legal standpoint on this pre-closing inspection, as it occurs usually long after contracts are signed and executed. Could the buyer actually pull out (without penalty) if there was a serious breach of contract conditions? For example if the house was flooded from a leak, or damaged by fire in the period between signing and closing. Has anyone heard of a case like this happening?

M.Cribben wrote: »
    I never understood the legal standpoint on this pre-closing inspection, as it occurs usually long after contracts are signed and executed. Could the buyer actually pull out (without penalty) if there was a serious breach of contract conditions? For example if the house was flooded from a leak, or damaged by fire in the period between signing and closing. Has anyone heard of a case like this happening?

Not like that, but the brakes would get put on and solicitors would get talking. The important point is that, while the contract would still be valid, the money would not get transfered over while the buyers solicitor demands that the seller put the house back in sale condition or offer damages.

Buyers are usually advised to take out insurance on the property when they actually sign contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We were advised by our Solicitor to inspect before Closing our Purchase. We did so the morning of Closing.

Same here. They vendor's agent expected it to and was there for what they called a 'final walthrough'.

Advertisement