Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with infant no car

• 23-05-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking at booking flight's to the sun and bringing junior. Not taking the car so fly out to island and have to get bus and train to resort. We have a car seat but not sure if he will be grown out of that by the time we travel. He is to big for a sling so not considering that.

So what's parents recommendation for travelling around resort in either taxi, train, public transport while abroad?

Other option is to hire a car but just want to see what options we have

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I personally wouldn’t be too comfortable in a taxi with no car seat, even though I know it’s legal. Some taxi services will provide seats, you just need to do a bit of homework to find them!
    I also wouldn’t hire a car seat from a car hire company unless it was on a recommendation of someone, because they are hit and miss regarding quality, fitting and cleanliness.
    Most buses and trains are buggy friendly- depending on where you’re going I suppose!
    I also wouldn’t rule out a sling, I can easily and comfortably carry my two and a half year old in a toddler sling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

For us personally, we bring a soft structured carrier with us, no buggy/carseat etc. I don't think we've ever got a taxi while abroad with our toddler, but I find a carrier is the most suitable for all modes of transport, baby's with you at all times and no faffing about trying to fold a buggy/get it into tight spaces/through doors/waiting for lifts etc.

Iv a lilebaby complete 6 in 1 soft structured carrier, it's weight guidelines are 7-45lbs, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's so comfy for me to wear in any position and my toddler loves it. There's great head support even for a toddler so it's great for napping on the go as well. It's my 4th carrier, and the only one I would recommend for all ages (or at least up to two years old).

On the one occasion that I have been abroad with my toddler where we hired a car, she was about 9 months old and we hired a carseat as well. I wouldn't recommend it if at all possible. Even though the car seat was a stage 0, it was awfully big/poor fitting and the company had no additional padding like you can get with some seats or an alternative seat that was a better fit. It was also a belt secured seat rather than isofix ( I personally prefer isofix) and not very clean. We didn't have any choice at that stage, but I'd be very wary doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Take a buggy that's light and folds easily. Nothing too bulky. If you're in a city you may have to get down escalators with it.

Agree re sling for toddler with previous poster, especially in the airport. I have a very tall 2 year old that I've only stopped carrying recently. A sling can save a lot of stress after the buggy is gate checked particularly if your flight is very early or late and your child is sleepy.

I've done a couple of long train journeys with both my kids (26 months and 16 weeks) so far and have 3 hrs 40 ahead of me (London Euston to Holyhead) on Friday morning. Plan is Cbeebies on iPlayer, lots of snacks for toddler, boob at will for baby and pray for no explosive poos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for all the advice

Looked at the lilebaby complete 6 in 1 soft structured carrier and looks ideal but think we need to try it out first before purchasing. Think there is one place that does try outs in Malahide once a month so might see if they have one to try.

Both seasoned travellers but with a baby its so much more to organise:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I took a chance on mine. I was like a bull in a China shop with the buggy. Because she was walking when she outgrew one of the other ones I was unsure whether to get a new one. I have a ergo original (?) Which is pretty much the same design as the lilebaby and I cannot wear it and never could. I was stuck when waiting for the lilebaby and brought it to Germany and it literally nearly broke my back and I couldn't put it on on my own so I was nervous about the lilebaby, but I honestly love it. The only fault I have with it is that it's a pain to change the seat from parent to world facing. But that's it so I can live with it for the amount of times I'd be changing it.

However, you can hire carriers from baby wearing Ireland. I think it's two for €15 for two weeks. I don't know if they have it in stock, but it would be worth having a look into it.

• Advertisement

Yup, BWI have a selection of carriers that suit all ages. I have a kibi (4 months -3 yrs) and a Tula. I don’t know what age your baby is, but both have good longevity, though for a bigger baby I much prefer the kibi.
    There might be a sling meet near you either, or a local library, but BWI will post 2 to you for €15 for two weeks. the sling librarian usually rings to discuss what suits best when she gets your form online.

Also- what car seat do you have? And what age is your baby? You might be surprised at how long the infant car seat will last you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Currently we have a Maxi Cosy car seat and junior will be 1 when travelling. Depending on how big junior gets will depend if we bring the car seat or not. However this seat is convenient at the moment as can take it straight out of the car and onto the buggy. However buggy is big and would not like to take that on the plane. Hopefully by the time we travel which is not until 4-5 months away we can get a lighter buggy. So its all about the be prepared and then be prepared more:D

BWI run a class out in Malahide on the last Monday of each month so going to drop out next week and try a few, well not me Mother will go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Flew to USA with my daughter when she was 1 year old. Took a light stroller which was allowed on the plane (given to staff at the boarding gate and they store it away).

On the Aer Lingus flight over she just sat on our lap over as it was day time. Flight home was at night, and there is an area towards to front where they can setup a baby bassinet for her to sleep in. (Basically a cardboard box thingy with blankets on a fold out table). Great job and little one slept all night. Inquire with the airline about this.

We hired a car seat in our hire car and honestly it was a pain. Didn't know the model of seat so took ages to fit, as the rental staff can't fit it for you for liability reasons. Didn't try public transport as felt we needed the flexibility the car gives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Hi

Currently we have a Maxi Cosy car seat and junior will be 1 when travelling. Depending on how big junior gets will depend if we bring the car seat or not. However this seat is convenient at the moment as can take it straight out of the car and onto the buggy. However buggy is big and would not like to take that on the plane. Hopefully by the time we travel which is not until 4-5 months away we can get a lighter buggy. So its all about the be prepared and then be prepared more:D

BWI run a class out in Malahide on the last Monday of each month so going to drop out next week and try a few, well not me Mother will go:)

We’ve taken our big bulky buggy on 3 flights and I wouldn’t be without it on holidays to be honest. We know he likes it and will nap in it during the day no bother. Has nice padded wheels which help somewhat with the uneven / cobbled streets that seem to be everywhere we pick to go on holidays! We bought the travel case for it so pack it up (can also fit extra bits in around it like towels, nappies etc) and check it in with then luggage. Then use sling going through the airport. It’s waiting for us with the luggage at the other side. I know some people swear by light buggy’s for holidays but we’ve had no issues with our big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

We bought a cheap buggy to bring with us on holidays. Very handy rather than bringing big buggy and worrying about it getting broken.
    (https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/4-wheel-strollers/cygnet-wave-stroller-navy-blue/p/1353490)

First time went to Portugal and booked a taxi with a car seat. Second time rented a car with baby seat. Happy enough with both.

Advertisement