Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal standing

Options
  • 24-05-2018 9:25am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭

If a contract was signed for advertising services by an employee who no longer works in our company, is it a legally binding contract? The owner never authorised the signing and they are now threatening legal action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Was the contract signed on behalf of the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We’ve had this before and there is a proper name for it (Pedro knows!), but if the person said they were responsible for signing off on advertising and they then signed the contract, the advertiser can take that at face value. The contract is valid.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Was the contract signed on behalf of the company?
    It was signed by the old manager but he never got authorisation to sign it. It was for an advertising company in England.

dazzymc wrote: »
    It was signed by the old manager but he never got authorisation to sign it. It was for an advertising company in England.

Has the ad been published? Who supplied the copy for the ad?

Has the ad been published? Who supplied the copy for the ad?
    It was one of those digital advertisements on screen displays. The owner didn't even know it was being shown anywhere. They say it was displayed on screen in a doctors waiting area. As far as I can tell, they did all the artwork but they just started sending us emails that they are going to begin legal proceedings against the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It was signed by the old manager
    Surely managers are entitled to sign such things?

Victor wrote: »
    Surely managers are entitled to sign such things?
    He didn't have authorisation!

But as far as they are concerned, he did.

However, it sounds a bit suspicious to me. Digital ads in doctors waiting rooms - I’ve heard of a scam like that before. How can they prove they appeared? Ask for proof of publication.

Google the company, the directors. See if they have a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Did he need to have authorisation, and if so can you prove that he didn't have authorisation?

Anyways, if you are actually interested in a genuine answer, talk to your solicitor.

Did they show you a copy of the signed contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

However, it sounds a bit suspicious to me. Digital ads in doctors waiting rooms - I’ve heard of a scam like that before. How can they prove they appeared? Ask for proof of publication.

This is ringing a bell with me too. A very pushy UK company from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

We’ve had this before and there is a proper name for it (Pedro knows!), but if the person said they were responsible for signing off on advertising and they then signed the contract, the advertiser can take that at face value. The contract is valid.
    :) Gloomtastic is correct. There are numbers of issues here. The easy answer - As a ‘manager’ the ex-employee would be regarded as an ‘agent’ of the company. As such he has the power to bind the company in a legal agreement relevant to his daily work. However, if he does this while ignoring a rule that such expenditure must be authorized by a more senior level, the company has a right of redress against him. The company ‘generally’ is bound by his actions.

How much is involved? Have you a copy (or obtained one) of the signed contract?

Is the creditor a reputable business? How big are they? Have you done business with them before? Is it a try-on?

Not much point in making a mountain out of this if it is either a shady vendor of advertising space or a paltry sum of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If a contract was signed for advertising services by an employee who no longer works in our company, is it a legally binding contract? The owner never authorised the signing and they are now threatening legal action.

Have you confirmed with the former employee that they signed the contract.

Advertisement