Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX

Options
  • 24-05-2018 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I'm currently pricing around for a Nintendo 2DS XL and it looks like CEX (NI) is the best price around. Sorry (in advance) for all the questions, but I want to get the best deal and highest quality

I have a few questions:
    Has anyone ordered online to ship to the Republic? If it's problematic I can collect in store or get sent to relatives in the North

If it says the item is 'new' either boxed/unboxed..does this realistically mean that it is in an excellent condition but is a second hand device?

Lastly can you go to CEX Ireland if there is any follow up care required/complaints?

Or would you advise that I just buy a new one in Smyths/Argos etc..pay a bit extra but am assured then that there are no scratches etc and will have follow up care

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't buy anything online from CEX, they're so hit and miss. If you can get to a store, go in and check the item yourself but I wouldn't trust them to send it to you sight unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

Ok, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've bought from uk cex before and had it delivered through parcelmotel and returned to cex ireland but it was a lot of messing. Their QC is very hit and miss but at leas tthe warranty is pretty good. I returned a ps move controller which had gone up three times the price and they wanted me to pay the difference. got sorted after some emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I'd leave it. CEX are really poor for quality control on items they sell, you could do without the headache if it turns out to have issues or is not as advertised.

CEX only sell 2nd hand items, the only things that can be 'new' are things like sealed copies of PC games on occasions.

Everything else is 2nd hand, even if you went in with a brand new sealed console or console game, they'd make you open it to trade it in.

Ok thanks for all of that, will leave CEX so.

Have been pricing around and Littlewoods would you believe come out the cheapest (€150) and they regularly do discount codes so will wait until I get one :D

If anyone knows of where I can source it cheaper than this, please can you be kind enough to let me know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭passatman86

Would you not just get it in smyths for €159.. there is a few different ones to choose from

Well if I can get it for €120 in littlewoods with discount I will wait a few weeks, €40 can go towards accessories or game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

seen one on facebook sale section for 100 yesterday

I once ordered a couple of things online including a number of Arrow Blu-Ray releases and a game. Two fo the Blu-Rays came without a cover or case and were just stuffed inside a CD slipcase. The case and cover for the game were in bits and the disc looked like someone had glued it to their shoe and walked across gravel.

Recently I went into one of the stores braving the smell of piss and sadness that clings to all things CEX as I saw that they had Once Upon a Time in America the director's cut on Blu-Ray which is quite hard to get over here. Paid my 8 euro for it and went home to discover that the disc was for the old non director's cut of the film. Went back in the next day and they took the case off me and pointed to the writing on the rectangle sticker on the case, according to the employee as the sticker did not say that it was Once Upon A Time in America Director's Cut but just Once Upon A Time in America then I had received the product I paid for. I know it was only 8 euro but I wanted a refund but the employee and his manager refused to budge. They spent 15 minutes explaining that purchases were binding and that under no circumstance could I have a refund. I asked what happens if someone picks up a FIFA 18 case and pays 60 euro for it but the sticker says FIFA 17 do they get FIFA 17 or 18? Two dumb dumbs were unable to get their heads around it for a bit but did agree that if they put FIFA 17 in that case then there would be no reason to refund the customer if they were unhappy as the sticker said FIFA 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'll avoid the media at CEX so. Just to say I've made 4 purchases of electronics from CEX and all was good with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

My experience with buying online from CEX has been overwhelminlgy good. Bought quite a number of Vita, Wii and Wii U games and can't think of a big issue with any, except maybe manuals missing etc but not much else. €1.50 tracked postage for games is great value, and while I understand it seems to have a reputation with some, I've had very little problems with them.

Advertisement