Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2018 stage18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

Options
  • 24-05-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

STAGE 18: Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso 196 km

May 24th

G18_T18_Pratonevoso_alt_jpg.jpg
    OuakBGK.jpg?1

Technical Overview:
    The final mountain block opens with quite a disappointing stage, although probably it's justifiable due to what's coming next. The first 160 km of this stage have very little to offer: only the climb of Novello (GPM4, 5.4 km at 4.6%) stands out. After this long stroll in the Po Valley, however, the road will begin to head uphill into the Alps. The mountain top finish of Prato Nevoso (GPM1, 13.9 km at 6.9%) it's quite a good climb, consistently tough and regular, without particularly steep ramps.

Final km
    wtpHRP1.jpg?1

The Climbs:
    Novello (GPM4, 5.4 km at 4.6%)
    No profile. Just your typical GPM4.

Prato Nevoso (GPM1, 13.9 km at 6.9%)
    Very consistent, tough but without going crazy. Last time a GT finished here, it was actually the Tour, in 2008. For some reason the profile is not on the website. I had to take it from the Garibaldi, which has an abysmal resolution.
    ABrC82f.png?1

What to Expect:
    Well, this is a one-climb MTF, so just expect the favourites to attack within 5 km to go. If we are lucky, that is.

seLsEBx.jpg?1
    Prato Nevoso

Bookies Odds

Simon Yates 5
    Chris Froome 13/2
    Fabio Aru 9
    Miguel Angel Lopez 9
    Thibaut Pinot 14
    Tom Dumoulin 16
    Domenico Pozzovivo 18
    Giulio Ciccone 18
    Michael Woods 20
    Wouter Poels 20
    Robert Gesink 28
    Davide Formolo 40
    Diego Ulissi 28
    Ben Hermans 40
    Alessandro De Marchi 50
    Davide Atapuma 50
    Fausto Masnada 50
    George Bennett 40
    Richard Carapaz 40
    Giovanni Visconti 40
    Jarlinson Pantano 40
    Koen Bouwman 66
    Luis Leon Sanchez Gil 50
    Valerio Conti 50
    Alexandre Geniez 80
    Hugh Carthy 50
    Jan Polanc 66
    Jose Goncalves 50
    Sebastien Reichenbach 33
    Sergio Luis Henao 66
    Alexey Lutsenko 80
    David de la Cruz 50
    Gianluca Brambilla 66
    Jan Hirt 66
    Krists Neilands 100
    Nico Denz 50
    Pello Bilbao 66
    Carlos Betancur 100
    George Priedler 125
    Elia Viviani 150
    Enrico Battaglin 150
    Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski 100
    Manuele Boaro 150
    Markel Irizar 150
    Matej Mohoric 100
    Matteo Montaguti 100
    Mattia Cattaneo 80
    Maximilian Schachmann 100
    Mikael Cherel 80
    Sam Bennett 150
    Steve Morabito 150
    Vasil Kiryienka 150
    Vegard Stake Laengen 150
    Zdenek Stybar 150
    Davide Villella 125
    Johan Esteban Chaves 100
    Kenny Elissonde 125
    Patrick Konrad 100
    Ben OConnor 125
    Mikel Nieve 125
    Rodolfo Torres 100
    Rohan Dennis 125
    Niklas Eg 150
    Ruben Fernandez 150
    Sam Oomen 125
    Felix Grossschartner 150
    Hubert Dupont 100
    Mads Pedersen 150
    Tony Martin 125
    Davide Ballerini 150
    Adam Hansen 150
    Dayer Quintana 150
    Enrico Barbin 150
    Jack Haig 125
    Eduardo Sepulveda 150
    Eros Capecchi 150
    Roman Kreuziger 150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not the most exciting stage design being a _________/ so unlikely much will happen GC wise until the final climb unless we are blessed with bad weather or crosswinds. The breaks have had a bad run this Giro and with the harder days to come tomorrow and Saturday maybe this is their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Wonder if Froome fancies his chances of winning the Giro outright? Seems a long shot but not completely out of the question. Yates' form has been outstanding but 3mins on a bad day is nothing. If Froome & his team all hit form these next 3 stages it could happen.

Also will Dumoulin ride to 2nd or risk a podium place with an attack? If he got a gap could he TT his way to victory. While going well he doesn't seem as good as last year

LCD wrote: »
    Wonder if Froome fancies his chances of winning the Giro outright? Seems a long shot but not completely out of the question. Yates' form has been outstanding but 3mins on a bad day is nothing. If Froome & his team all hit form these next 3 stages it could happen.

Also will Dumoulin ride to 2nd or risk a podium place with an attack? If he got a gap could he TT his way to victory. While going well he doesn't seem as good as last year

This stage isn't one where you could get 3 minutes back, but Friday and Saturday if Yates got caught out or had a bad day could turn things upside down. The Colle Della Finestre is a monster climb with the last KM's on gravel. Perhaps Froome can take a handful of seconds today, but he doesn't want to go too deep again and be found wanting on tomorrow's stage which is really one you need to be at your best for.

Friday

G18_T19_Bardonecchia_alt_jpg.jpg

Saturday

G18_T20_Cervinia_alt_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Froome has nothing to loose and alot to gain by trying an attack before sunday but today isnt the day, he may not get the jersey but a podium place and a bit of kudos for lighting things up will look better for sky going into the tdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Expect the unexpected ....that is this giro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Will be interesting to see what team tries to control the pace on the lower slopes of the Prato Nevoso... MS, Sunweb, Sky?

The breakaway have a lead of 12' 36" with 123 km to go

Michael Morkov, Maximilian Schachmann (Quick-Step Floors), Davide Ballerini, Mattia Cattaneo (Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec), Christoph Pfingsten (Bora-Hansgrohe), Ruben Plaza (Israel Cycling Academy), Vyacheslav Kuznetsov (Katusha-Alpecin), Jos van Emden, Boy van Poppel (Trek-Segafredo), Marco Marcato (UAE Emirates), Giuseppe Fonzi and Alex Turrin (Wilier Triestina-Selle Italia).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think this climb could suit Tommy D or Froome to go on the attack. Consistentish gradient, just time trial up it and see can they put Yates under pressure. Even if it is just a softening up exercise. But I'd more be expecting the GC group to come in together.

I was surprised to see sky mountain domestiques so active yesterday though - it didn't really seem to make sense if Froome is feeling good, unless it was a bluff.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Before I put a few quid on Froomey to make a move in the last few days of the Giro does anyone here work for DHL and know if any jiffy packages have made their way from the UK to Abbiategrasso.... or maybe the pollen count is unseasonably low ...Viva la dolce vita... 

If Yates goes on to win this Giro, it will mean the Wicklow boy Chris JJ been on 2 Giro winning squads (2015 with Alberto) , thats some achievement .

Breakaway may do this

• Advertisement

14'39" gap with 33 km remaining.
    The winner will be from the breakaway.

2 irish lads by the side of the road with silly wigs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The speed that the breakaway are going up this climb, i'd be suprised if their is any GC action.
    Scott should control the pace, with it been very high.

this is getting interesting 1km to go 3 breakaways left

was kinda hoping the QS rider wouldnt win that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I was full sure Froome would attack.

dumoulin looks like hes breaking his nuts as yates cruises along behind him

yates been gapped n froomes pissed off

Yates in trouble. Go on TD

Jesus, i wasn't expecting this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Well well well...

Can't wait for tomorrow

about 20-30 seconds lost

lucky for froome he watches his stem and not his team mates wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That’s a surprise. About 24/25 secs gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

He properly cracked there - 25 seconds lost in 800m. Tomorrow could be very interesting!

If Yates cracks tomorrow on one of the earlier mountains he could lose bucket loads of time, any of Froome, Dumoulin or Pozzivivo could potentially win this race.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Interesting conversation on the Mitchelton Scott bus this evening between Yates and Chavez.. can I have my bonus seconds back.
    Stage 6 Yeats gifted teh victory on Mount Etna and the time bonuses to his team mate Chavez. 
    I bet he is regretting that.. imagine if he loses the Giro by 4 secs , 4 secs he gave to his team mate...

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Interesting conversation on the Mitchelton Scott bus this evening between Yates and Chavez.. can I have my bonus seconds back.
    Stage 6 Yeats gifted teh victory on Mount Etna and the time bonuses to his team mate Chavez. 
    I bet he is regretting that.. imagine if he loses the Giro by 8 secs , 8 secs he gave to his team mate...

4 seconds

• Advertisement

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I bet he is regretting that.. imagine if he loses the Giro by 8 secs , 8 secs he gave to his team mate...

It was 10,6,4 so only 4 seconds lost not 8.

Advertisement