Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave

Options
  • 24-05-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ok I asked for parental leave back in Jan to apply from 1st July for 6 weeks. My boss (US based) - is a very difficult character who is responsible for many ppl exiting the company (both forced and voluntary) replied saying we would need to look at coverage etc. At the same time he stopped having 1:1 meetings with me. He also stopped this with some other people also. TBH I was happy not to be dealing with him as much but the leave was left in the balance.

I asked hr locally to help direct the process but they told me I would need to get the approval from my boss first. I told them that he was difficult to deal with and I would rather not get into a tug of war on legalities with him.

Since then another girl asked for the leave and has got it (she reports to someone else who then reports to my boss). She also got it last year and I am starting to think that there is a reason the take up amongst men is so low. Employers don't want to give the leave to men is my assessment. I asked a few weeks ago again for an answer and nothing has come. HR are included in all correspondences and don't want to know it seems. I am getting annoyed at this stage TBH.

Just wondering what my options are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Parental leave is a statutory entitlement. That is, you don't have to "ask" for it, you notify your employer that you're taking it.

There are two steps:

1. You send them notice of your intention to take the leave, including start and end dates.
    2. At least 4 weeks before the leave starts, you sign a document firming up the details.

You're approaching the 4 weeks date, I suggest you type up the document, sign it and present it to HR, and then follow up with an email CCed to your boss confirming that you've provided this document to HR.

They are allowed to defer your parental leave, once. For up to six months. And they can't do it "just because", they have to be able to cite a lack of cover or otherwise business critical issues.

If you're being completely blanked on it, then it's kind of hard to say what to do. I'd be down to HR every single day to get it ironed out. Perhaps sending an email stating in no uncertain terms that if you don't get a response by the end of next week that you will assume that they are in agreement with the dates and you will be taking it.

On an aside; if the boss is completely cutting off 1:1s and otherwise being non-communicative, is it possible he's being managed out? I've seen this a lot in the US wings of companies - people go really silent for weeks, questions start being asked about where they are and what they're doing and then a few weeks later an email goes around from their boss stating that they've "left the company" and with no other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I had the same experience, years ago (and I am not a man!). My boss mumbled something about cover and then stopped communicating. I just confirmed with HR and went on leave. He was in the office, too, he never formally approved it. I had taken steps to ensure that my work would be covered in the interim, and included that plan in my email to him and HR that confirmed the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Unless the rules have changed.

An employer can refuse an application for Parental Leave, they must however grant parental leave within six months of refusing the initial application. From memory I think the employer can also insist it all be taken as one block.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

_Brian wrote: »
    Unless the rules have changed.

An employer can refuse an application for Parental Leave, they must however grant parental leave within six months of refusing the initial application. From memory I think the employer can also insist it all be taken as one block.

Spoke to hr on Monday . I escalated. They said they would get answer. Will mail them again today

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Kamu wrote: »
    Update?

Got it approved. Got a resource in hr that was willing and extremely capable. She swung it. Fair play to her. My manager asked why I wanted the leave and then told me I needed to do some qualifications while I was off. Not being smart but I doubt if that line would be delivered if it was a woman looking for leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

He is out of order. Parental leave is to look after children! But glad you are sorted :-)

Advertisement