Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids, Prams and the busses in Cork

• 24-05-2018 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭

Greetings,
    As the weather is fine, I had the idea of instead taking the car to town, to jump on the bus as the travel time is basically the same and the kids love the bus.
    My idea was to enter the bus with the whole buggy, that is quiet spacey and feels like a bus itself. :D

vista-2.jpg.

It wouldn’t be feasible to remove the pram and seat parts, fold the buggy while holding the kids. Would I be able to use the bus with that? And what would I be charged as one adult and two kids?
    Any advice or experiences?

Route is the 208 in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adult single €2.30 (cash) or €1.61 (Leap Card).

Child single €1.30 (cash) or €0.91 (Leap Card).

One child under 5 can travel for free with a paying passenger.

The pram should be OK, but realise someone else may have a pram or wheelchair already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In my experience, you should be fine. Most of the drivers in Cork seem like very nice folks and even though there is a rule of only one buggy per bus, it isn't at all unusual to have three buggies side by side on the bus, including big ones like yours. *

A couple of tips:
    - Try and travel at off peak times if you can, obviously makes it easier.
    - Even if your the only buggy on, be ready to make room for a second buggy or wheelchair coming on. The usually means moving the buggy so the kids are facing the back of the bus, to them facing the windows so that another buggy can fit in beside you.
    - Obviously be prepared that if the bus is totally full, you might have the wait for the next one, so try not being in a rush or late to get somewhere.
    - Getting off the bus, I find it easier to get off backwards, pulling the buggy off rather then trying pushing it off, gives you more control over it I find.

* BTW Your buggy isn't so big, you have two kids and the top/bottom ones are the easier ones. The side by side ones are the nightmare on buses.

Finally, try and enjoy the experience. It can be a little stressful first time, but I've no doubt your kids will LOVE it. My little one absolutely loves being on the bus, smiling and waving at everyone :D so totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Thanks for the info and tipps, went all fine. Drivers were helpful, drove either straight to the edge or offered to carry it in and out. Had only issues when coming home as there already was a small pram inside, but we both fitted in.
    Kids loved it as we usually go in the morning to the bus line and wave to the buses as children are fascinated by them. So first drive went well, and is a great alternative for me, as I prefer it over taking the car, disassemble the buggy and reassemble it in the confined space of a parking house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I have a side-by-side twin double buggy, the dimensions are the same as a wheelchair so once a bus is wheelchair friendly you're fine.

Of course, you have to hope there's not already a wheelchair or double buggy on board.

Advertisement