Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants 25% rent increase- no contract.

Options
  • 24-05-2018 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Posting for my friend- basically they live in a rent pressure zone and their landlord has been trying to sell his house. He has found no interest and is putting off the sale for another year and will allow them to stay- subject to an immediate 25% increase to rent. Is there anything to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes, they have options.

accept & pay up. if they are renting at a sweet price, and are happy with the location this may not be a terrible option.

move out & tell him to stick it.

reject, negotiate with the landlord and see can they come to an arrangement that both parties can live with, understanding that they may still need to leave.

accept, pay the 1st month or 2 at new rate and open a dispute with RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tuskacz

Report LL to treshold and PRTB. In RPZ only 4% per year is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

refuse to pay more than legal increase allowed. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

refuse to pay more than legal increase allowed. Simple as that.

If the LL plans to sell and the op refuses to pay the increase, a bit of lateral thinking should make the LLs next move obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

davo10 wrote: »
    If the LL plans to sell and the op refuses to pay the increase, a bit of lateral thinking should make the LLs next move obvious.

so you're saying tenants should just allow landlords to break the law recently introduced to stop them raising rents so high? 25% is huge. also, he tried to sell already but got no takers, OP said.

If he won't put it in writing then I'd just ignore it. If he does, open a dispute. Since he already tried to sell presumably he won't try that again, but he might try to claim he's selling and then rent at the higher rate which is grounds for a dispute also.

landlords can't be allowed to circumvent these laws. why isn't 4% enough? landlords haven't done anything to make Dublin so in demand, it's businesses and employers that done that and they aren't giving out 25% wage increases willy nilly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

so you're saying tenants should just allow landlords to break the law recently introduced to stop them raising rents so high? 25% is huge. also, he tried to sell already but got no takers, OP said.

If he won't put it in writing then I'd just ignore it. If he does, open a dispute. Since he already tried to sell presumably he won't try that again, but he might try to claim he's selling and then rent at the higher rate which is grounds for a dispute also.

landlords can't be allowed to circumvent these laws. why isn't 4% enough? landlords haven't done anything to make Dublin so in demand, it's businesses and employers that done that and they aren't giving out 25% wage increases willy nilly.

That's not what I said. Obviously when previously trying to sell, he did not have vacant possession, that alone would put most buyers off. It will not take him long to realise that by getting a signed declaration, he can evict the op. Where does that leave the op?

Ah, those pesky employers driving up demand and down supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

The landlord has tried to sell but hasn't got the interest he was expecting so has decided to definitely wait another year (He's been trying to sell the house himself, no agents allowed, was expecting to have it sold within 2 weeks of having it on Daft!).He lives abroad and his heading back so doesn't have time to sell. My friend has decided to move out, got a sublease luckily for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

I would point out that whilst there are quite a few landlords taking the p1ss, it doesn't extend to all.

I had a mate that was "looking after" someone's house whilst they were abroad a couple years. He was paying quite literally a few hundred for a great place. Under RPZ the owner could be stuffed now. Could raise rent by 200% and it'd still be a bargain.

Extreme example but there are the landlords who never raised rent, were easy going etc. An increase of 25% isn't always unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

haro124 wrote: »
    The landlord has tried to sell but hasn't got the interest he was expecting so has decided to definitely wait another year (He's been trying to sell the house himself, no agents allowed, was expecting to have it sold within 2 weeks of having it on Daft!).He lives abroad and his heading back so doesn't have time to sell. My friend has decided to move out, got a sublease luckily for the next few months.

He sounds like a cheapskate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

He sounds like a cheapskate.

Yea he doesn't want to give anything to estate agents :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement