Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser eye surgery

• 24-05-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭

Have finally bitten the bullet and have booked in for eye consultation with optilase Galway . Not certain I’ll go for it but no harm going in anyway
    I have one question at this stage - how long does blurriness in eyes last for after consultation ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

km79 wrote: »
    Have finally bitten the bullet and have booked in for eye consultation with optilase Galway . Not certain I’ll go for it but no harm going in anyway
    I have one question at this stage - how long does blurriness in eyes last for after consultation ?

It lasts around 3 hours if I remember correctly. Let me know if you need a referral for €100 off (I also get €100 for referring).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

jive wrote: »
    It lasts around 3 hours if I remember correctly. Let me know if you need a referral for €100 off (I also get €100 for referring).

If I go ahead with it I will take that referral thanks
    It can be stacked with other discounts right ?
    I'm with Irish life life insurance and website says 25% off but I've a feeling that will be "built into " quote anyway

I'll only be getting one eye done and am hoping for the standard procedure and that I didn't have thin corneas !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If I go ahead with it I will take that referral thanks
    It can be stacked with other discounts right ?
    I'm with Irish life life insurance and website says 25% off but I've a feeling that will be "built into " quote anyway

I'll only be getting one eye done and am hoping for the standard procedure and that I didn't have thin corneas !

Yeah you can stack it, I did when I’d mine done as I was with Irish life too at the time! Best of luck with the consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I just had my consultation yesterday and thinking of going ahead with it.
    By any chance can I use you as a referral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I just had my consultation yesterday and thinking of going ahead with it.
    By any chance can I use you as a referral?

Sent you a pm there. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes!

• Advertisement

Had consultation yday in Galway. Not a very good experience at all for me I’m afraid .
    Eyes still not fully back to normal so can’t focus on close work to type full post. Will update later hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I just had a consultation on Thursday evening and it took at least 48 hours to recover fully from the dilating drops. Other than that it was a positive experience.

Pricing seems to be a bit hidden. A scrappy printout was flashed in front of my dilated eyes and €3490 scribbled on the back of the info book but no price for the standard procedure. My email on pricing has gone unanswered, I think there are different prices for everyone depending on your status, cash/health insurance/risk to them etc etc.

I think if you wait a while they will send out out special offer anyway so if you are not in a hurry I would hold off.

not sure whose lifetime their warranty covers either, is it my lifetime or the company lifetime, is it optilase that the warranty is with or just the center that I visited? What happens if the clinic I visited closes down? What happens if Optilase is bought out or shuts down. These are some questions I forgot to ask.

Looking online I found some info that did put me off the idea, I think im going to try contact lenses for a while.

JoeySully wrote: »
    I just had a consultation on Thursday evening and it took at least 48 hours to recover fully from the dilating drops. Other than that it was a positive experience.

Pricing seems to be a bit hidden. A scrappy printout was flashed in front of my dilated eyes and €3490 scribbled on the back of the info book but no price for the standard procedure. My email on pricing has gone unanswered, I think there are different prices for everyone depending on your status, cash/health insurance/risk to them etc etc.

I think if you wait a while they will send out out special offer anyway so if you are not in a hurry I would hold off.

not sure whose lifetime their warranty covers either, is it my lifetime or the company lifetime, is it optilase that the warranty is with or just the center that I visited? What happens if the clinic I visited closes down? What happens if Optilase is bought out or shuts down. These are some questions I forgot to ask.

Looking online I found some info that did put me off the idea, I think im going to try contact lenses for a while.
    Eyes fianlly back to semi normailty!
    I got the same price (1745 as only one eye). It was also scribbled on a random page in booklet I was given and also for the dearest treatment. I too am going to give contacts one more go.

So here was my experience in Optilase Galway:

First impressions were not good anyway........tiny unventilated room on 1st floor of Galway SC. Opens only for appointments.
    The girl met me there and straight away I was apprehensive as when I informed here I held Irish Life life insurance and wanted confirmation of 25% discount I was told she was not sure would have to look into it.........this was also scribbled on the booklet at the end. It is on their website in black and white and I brought all my documentation with me.

Next up the exam and a nasty surprise!!!!! As mentioned earlier the room was tiny and VERY stuffy. The tiny fan didn't do much to help me ..............
    So went went through the normal lens checks etc before the surprise. Anaesthetic drops. I knew for the actual operation these would be used but was not aware they would be used during consultation? Have since read back over threads here and all the info on their site and I still do not see any mention of them?
    Got one anaesthetic drop in each eye. Stung like mad but was fine even though I was really not expecting anything like that. Next up drops to dye tear drops. Fine. 3rd up was the blurry drops followed quickly by a second round of anaesthetic drops. And there is where things quickly went downhill.......
    My head just went!!!!!! I felt extremely dizzy, started sweating profusely and a massive wave of nausea hit me immediately. The girl was oblivious at first until I asked if she had a container as I was going to vomit. She did not..........I was told to put my head between my legs ........this settled me a bit. I asked if there was a toilet........no toilet.......had to stumble to public toilet and sat there for 15 minutes until I settled a bit.
    Went back then and finished the exam but tbh it was a waste of time. I couldn't keep my head up and was not able to listen to her properly.
    End of consultation I was told my eye was fine for the procedure BUT the difference between my prescription and vision when blurred was too great so needed to wait for prescription to settle down. I think thats what was said anyway!!!!!
    At this stage I was still nauseous and obviously still had blurred vision . The girl took me to the front office and said I could sit for a few minutes which I did and she gave me the booklet where I later discovered the price. I am also fairly sure she said I would receive a more detailed email which I have not. Also received one last surprise. The procedure would have been carried out in Dublin not Galway. I specifically asked this question in initial phone call and was given the impression it would be Galway........doesn't matter now anyway.
    My train was not for another 2 hours so I went and sat in the public library with my eyes closed :(

It is now 2 days later and pupils have almost returned to normal. Monday was horrible. Yesterday not much better with eyes very sore. And this was just after consultation!!!!

From the minute I walked into the "clinic" I was wary and had made up my mind after a couple of minutes I was not going to risk my eyesight with this company . There was far too much vagueness around lots of the info I wanted.
    The couple of hours after the consultation were a real reality check for me . I was simply not willing to risk my eyesight by going with a company like this. If and its a BIG IF I do decide to go back for laser surgery in the next few years I'll pay the extra to go with a clinic in a reputable hospital.

Hope this helps people who are unsure.

One final question though . What was the purpose of the anaaethetic drops for consultation? I understand why the eyeball needs to be numbed for the operation but can't find any info on their use during consultation.

Just a final update
    It took almost a full week before the soreness left my eyes and I could focus properly on close work
    And that was just the consultation!!!!

Still can’t find any mention anywhere of the use of anesthetic eye drops during consultation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just a final update
    It took almost a full week before the soreness left my eyes and I could focus properly on close work
    And that was just the consultation!!!!

Still can’t find any mention anywhere of the use of anesthetic eye drops during consultation

It's usually done to measure the pressure inside the eye in a more accurate way than the puff of air. The naesua etc that you mentioned are a known side effect of the dilating drops. While uncommon, they do happen. Unfortunate that it happened to you

• Advertisement

Daisies wrote: »
    It's usually done to measure the pressure inside the eye in a more accurate way than the puff of air. The naesua etc that you mentioned are a known side effect of the dilating drops. While uncommon, they do happen. Unfortunate that it happened to you

Thanks for the reply
    The whole set up was enough to put me off going with them at any stage to be quite honest
    My vision is too important to take risks
    And it felt like it would be a risk

Advertisement