Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband on Lightnet(or alternative)

Options
  • 24-05-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So Im living in Headford, Galway and although its a live Fibre area, I still can't get access to it. I live right in the town so Im looking at alternatives and Lightnet has been recommended to me by a friend.

He also lives in Galway but another area. I spoke with lightnet and while they will send out an engineer to test the speed/signal strength, they mentioned that if the engineer deems the speed acceptable but I dont, I will have to pay a call out charge of 35 euro.

They didnt mention what their acceptable limit is but anything below 20mb for me isnt really worth the change.

So my question is, is there anyone around Galway and namely the Headford area that could give me a rough estimate of the speeds they are currently getting?

At present im hitting 10/11mb with Sky BB but the quality is terrible especially in the evening. Upload is 0.2 and ping usually lands at around 80-130ms

Also if you knew what latency/ping was like that would be great as Im big into online gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

this is using http://openspeedtest.com in Chrome on Android phone about 20ft from the WiFi router... it does us fine and we're down in Ballinduff with a link across the lake to the mast

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Lightnet uses line of sight so if you can see their mast from your roofline or similar you should have no problem. If there are trees in the way this may affect reception seasonally and as the trees get higher/thicker

Advertisement