Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Accommodate Homeless Couple?

Options
  • 24-05-2018 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just met a couple and they are currently homeless. The DSP and County Council homeless unit can't help and told them to go and sort themselves out or return to Italy. The wife is 7months pregnant with twins

We have 4bed and no spare room, but I have a pump bed but not sure if by law we can accommodate them temporarily pending the time they will apply for PPS number and look for job. The husband is desperate to work. I plan to throw in my pump bed in living room for them but I just want to know if I need to inform my county council as I am on Hap. Also do I need to inform my social welfare office? I just want to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Laudable OP but no good deed goes unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

While is laudable what you consider doing.
    You would be better off buying a plane ticket for them to go home to Italy.

If they have no PPS and no job it would appear that they came here with no plan.

On a practical note, you have a full house, no idea how long tey would end up staying with you and a baby on the way. Are you really going to throw them out in 2 months or when baby is born.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

20784 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just met a couple and they are currently homeless. The DSP and County Council homeless unit can't help and told them to go and sort themselves out or return to Italy. The wife is 7months pregnant.

We have 4bed and no spare room, but I have a pump bed but not sure if by law we can accommodate them temporarily pending the time they will apply for PPS number and look for job. The husband is desperate to work. I plan to throw in my pump bed in living room for them but I just want to know if I need to inform my county council as I am on Hap. Also do I need to inform my social welfare office? I just want to help.

They won't be able to get a PPSN without good reason.

"Evidence of identity and address must be provided. In addition, evidence as to why a PPS Number is required must also be provided"

And they may not be able to get onto the social housing list.

IMHO it is completely insane of them to have turned up in Ireland on spec.

My (probably worthless) advice to you is to tread very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Being from Italy they are EU citizens & are entitled to live & work here. I'd imagine that they are entitled to social welfare here too.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you putting them up. I suggest that you photo copy their passports in case you come home and you've no furniture left. Don't leave card or bank statements lying around and be careful with them on your pc. Take the same precautions you'd take if you took in an Irish homeless couple.

Did they come to Ireland with no money at all?

I'd love to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Being from Italy they are EU citizens & are entitled to live & work here. I'd imagine that they are entitled to social welfare here too.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you putting them up. I suggest that you photo copy their passports in case you come home and you've no furniture left. Don't leave card or bank statements lying around and be careful with them on your pc. Take the same precautions you'd take if you took in an Irish homeless couple.

Yes that's correct. The wife is Italian and the husband is the Spouse and has the EUFam.. They have right to live here legally. They came to live here and the uncle who assured them of accommodation didn't pick his call and his number is no longer going through.

The husband want to work and start family life. They are expecting twins.

• Advertisement

Yes that's correct. The wife is Italian and the husband is the Spouse and has the EUFam.. They have right to live here legally. They came to live here and the uncle who assured them of accommodation didn't pick his call and his number is no longer going through.

I'm going to sound so heartless but are you 100% they are Italian? Like seen their passports? The uncle story sounds suspicious to me. Could you help to find the uncle instead?

In a situation like this, you're leaving yourself very vulnerable. Best case scenario they are just down on their luck. Worst case? They change the locks while you are out leaving you homeless? Please go into this with eyes wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This "uncle" story sounds very suspect. I'd be keeping well away from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

No advice for you really,but fair play to you for caring.

I'm going to sound so heartless but are you 100% they are Italian? Like seen their passports? The uncle story sounds suspicious to me. Could you help to find the uncle instead?

In a situation like this, you're leaving yourself very vulnerable. Best case scenario they are just down on their luck. Worst case? They change the locks while you are out leaving you homeless? Please go into this with eyes wide open.

I saw their passports. The guards involved already. I dropped them off the guards station where they got more information what and what they need to register in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

She's Italian, he's from outside the EU, they arrive in Ireland to meet an "uncle"

There's a familiar story here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

They are not entitled to any social welfare at all unless they have paid at least a few years of PRSI in Ireland (I forgot how long), these people are very irresponsible in coming to Ireland with a woman that is 7 months pregnant and will very likely screw the OP big time and even worse the OP's family who should have a say in the matter. In my life anytime I helped an irresponsible person, things have always gone pear shaped, now I am older and my cynism (being a landlord having to deal with bad tenants has considerably increased my level of cynism) has helped me a lot in life and even more in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I admire you caring nature. BUT, surely if they present themselves to homeless services with twins on the way and so on they will be given priority temporary accommodation in an hotel or B+B surely?

Steer them in that direction.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This "uncle" story sounds very suspect. I'd be keeping well away from this.

The guards involved already, I actually dropped them off the guard station where they got more information what and what they need to register in full as per they need proof of address. So nothing suspicious at all. I've experienced this myself years ago although I well planned myself then. The difference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Hi guys,

I just met a couple and they are currently homeless. The DSP and County Council homeless unit can't help and told them to go and sort themselves out or return to Italy. The wife is 7months pregnant with twins

Presume you're renting? Maybe you should also check with the person who owns the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I find it very difficult to believe that in 2018 there is no other way to contact this uncle. The cynic in me says tread carefully!

I wonder how old the Italian passport is and whether she is actually Italian by birth, not a marriage of convenience but a route into another country by marriage of a granted residency of another non EU person
    Seems very fishy to move to another country with no money, nowhere to live and no job when you are about to drop 2 kids

GGTrek wrote: »
    They are not entitled to any social welfare at all unless they have paid at least a few years of PRSI in Ireland (I forgot how long), these people are very irresponsible in coming to Ireland with a woman that is 7 months pregnant and will very likely screw the OP big time and even worse the OP's family who should have a say in the matter. In my life anytime I helped an irresponsible person, things have always gone pear shaped, now I am older and my cynism (being a landlord having to deal with bad tenants has considerably increased my level of cynism) has helped me a lot in life and even more in business.

They are not here to claim benefit. They came to live and work. I agree that they didn't have a plan B only they rely on the uncle. However, the deed has been done and I think this is not the time to put blame on anyone. The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BarryD2 wrote:
    Presume you're renting? Maybe you should also check with the person who owns the house?

Funny I presumed that they were a homeowner. It's more than a bit cheeky if they are renting

fritzelly wrote: »
    I wonder how old the Italian passport is and whether she is actually Italian by birth, not a marriage of convenience but a route into another country by marriage of a granted residency of another non EU person
    Seems very fishy to move to another country with no money, nowhere to live and no job when you are about to drop 2 kids

No not at all, the wife is Italian from birth, they are both from the same village and grew up together according to the wife they actually speaks the same language.

The guards involved already, I actually dropped them off the guard station where they got more information what and what they need to register in full as per they need proof of address. So nothing suspicious at all. I've experienced this myself years ago although I well planned myself then. The difference :D

What do you mean the guards are involved already? Them going to the garda station to ask what they need to register does not mean they are perfectly kosher and a desk sergeant handing them leaflets doesnt equate to them being 'involved'.

As another poster said does the uncle have a Facebook? A surname? A job? If you fully believe their story, your next task is finding tbe uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

If it's just you or your other half then sure, do what you like although it sounds risky. If you have your own kids too then you're stark raving mad imho

Funny I presumed that they were a homeowner. It's more than a bit cheeky if they are renting

The OP said they are receiving the HAP.

No not at all, the wife is Italian from birth, they are both from the same village and grew up together according to the wife they actually speaks the same language.

He's not from the Italy tho. If he's been living all his life in Italy from a kid why is he not a registered Italian citizen

Curious how you came to meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Seems madness that anyone would move to another country at 7 month pregnant with twins without proper set up of job and accommodation. And even crazier that they would not return home now that it's fallen through. Your intentions are very good fair play op but thread carefully esp if you have children of your own in the house.
    Do you really want to take on two strangers and newborn twins??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

What do you mean the guards are involved already? Them going to the garda station to ask what they need to register does not mean they are perfectly kosher and a desk sergeant handing them leaflets doesnt equate to them being 'involved'.

As another poster said does the uncle have a Facebook? A surname? A job? If you fully believe their story, your next task is finding tbe uncle.

Met them close by the guards entrance when they approached. I believe the uncle deliberately switched off his phone when he realised they are truly coming over. This happens a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus, something tells me I’ll hear the op on joe Duffy in a few months.

Stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like the women hopes that the twins get Irish citizenship when born here.

The uncle not picking up the phone sounds like the uncle doesn't want them, f he even exists!

They could take anything not bolted to the wall, and it'll be your word against theirs that you didn't give it to them. Likewise with jewelry going missing.

=-=

Increasing the people in the house without the LL's prior written permission could lead to you being evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like a scam OP you wouldn't be the first person to be duped, steer clear.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like the women hopes that the twins get Irish citizenship when born here.

There wouldn't be any real advantage to Irish citizenship over Italian though would there?

Advertisement