Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Accommodate Homeless Couple?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sounds like an issue Lily Allen or Madonna could probably out help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

20784 wrote: »
    Met them close by the guards entrance when they approached. I believe the uncle deliberately switched off his phone when he realised they are truly coming over. This happens a lot...

So they approached you

Happens a lot? People arrive heavily pregnant to meet an uncle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You are being very foolish to go ahead with this and are putting the welfare of your own family at risk. This would be a very stupid move. If they have nowhere to live and work then they should consider going back to Italy where they have local family supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just saw that they approached you ... scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

fritzelly wrote: »
    He's not from the Italy tho. If he's been living all his life in Italy from a kid why is he not a registered Italian citizen

Curious how you came to meet them.

I have no idea about registration in Italy. Obviously they showed me their passports and marriage certs as I can't just get involved with total strangers, I was convinced as we went in the guards station together. But they were referred to homeless unit. The homeless unit require pps number, and to get pps number you must provide proof of address. You understand now. I've accommodated an Irish guy for two days who got drunk sometimes last year, although i informed guards about it and they said it's ok but i must ask his ID which he showed me. So if this similar it would have been more easier. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

You've seen his passport - where is he from?

I'm 100% convinced you are being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bizarre that you would take in a story and then move people in.

They sound like economic tourists where they know the system is much better here.

Best place for them is back home.

Met them close by the guards entrance when they approached. I believe the uncle deliberately switched off his phone when he realised they are truly coming over. This happens a lot...

Why do you keep saying the guards are involved if you met them, actually was approached by them near a garda station?

Im close to the Jeanie Johnson right now but it doesn't mean I'm involved in the navy.

I admire you caring nature. BUT, surely if they present themselves to homeless services with twins on the way and so on they will be given priority temporary accommodation in an hotel or B+B surely?

Steer them in that direction.

Kind of unfair that some Homeless Irish person might lose their spot in a homeless shelter because these people turned up to a foreign country with no means of supporting themselves.

To be brutally honest and a bit cold I would stay well away from this, its their own stupidity for taking such a risk when she is pregnant. I would never dream of taking such a risk if my wife was pregant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Is the italian passport real or fake?
    Decided to relocate while 7 months pregnant?
    Can they not go back to that war torn hellhole - Italy?
    Is their money tied up in a Nigerian diamond mine and just need 10k to get it out?!

If I was your landlord and got wind of this I'd congratulate you on your humanity and serve you with an eviction notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BUT, surely if they present themselves to homeless services with twins on the way and so on they will be given priority temporary accommodation in an hotel or B+B surely?

Steer them in that direction.

Nope, not if they don't have any connection to this country.

OP, how do you know it's twins? How do you know they're Italian - do you know an Italian speaker who can have a conversation with them to check the story out?

There is a slight chance that their story is legit.

There's a far higher chance that some Roma people have learned enough English to have advanced to this next level of "fundraising".

And lastly ... no you cannot accommodate them. You are on HAP. Conditions of this include getting the council's approval for anyone who lives in the house - and there's no way the council will appprove overcrowding.

TBH, I would recommand contacting your local branch of Vincent de Paul (or Focus or Peter McVerry or similar if they are in your areas). Their folks are experienced at realistic compassion, and will help this couple secure tickets home or whatever else is appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I've tried very hard to see it from your angle, but everything shouts scam.

The uncle, the willingness to show passports and even marriage certs, the 7 month pregnancy (handy, just at the no travel stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

They are not here to claim benefit. They came to live and work.

... to live and look for work, which is their right under EU freedom of movement. But if they don't find any within three months, then their entitlement to stay expires unless they have sufficient resources to support themselves. That does not appear to be the case, so the advice they've been given - go back to Italy - is the best they're going to get.

I see the other side of this here in France, with people (mostly English :confused: ) just deciding some day that they want to live and (look for) work in France, with absolutely no idea of what they're getting themselves into. They can spend over a decade living in a mouldy caravan in the middle of nowhere before finally giving up and going to back to the UK. Chances are you'll have your lodgers for the same length of time if you're not careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

They came to live and work.

To live where?

The husband/partner may have come here to work - with what qualifications, if any?

But his 7 months pregnant wife/partner definitely didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

She wont be expecting any twins if you put her on a blow up bed. Expect to be sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hi guys,

The wife is 7months pregnant

Any room in the Inn?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

They are both Roma scam artists. Good love your innocence. If you are determined to throw your money away buy them Ryanair flights to 'Italy' but do not under any circumstances allow them into your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

You are being had, OP. Could be a hard lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No not at all, the wife is Italian from birth, they are both from the same village and grew up together according to the wife they actually speaks the same language.

And you verified this story how exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Be careful, there seem to be a lot of issues with this story.

First and foremost, the ‘uncle’ scenario seems very fishy. If this person truely exists, surely some member of their extended family knows where he is and how to contact him.

Also, you say the the husband is not Italian, yet the couple grew up together...how can that be?

Do you know Italian? If not, how do you know the marriage cert is genuine, and anyway, how is it relevant?

You say you have a four bed house and it’s full, so from that i take it you have a family yourself, do you really want to put them at risk?

Finally, if the husband is really so desperate to work - why did he not come here on his own, surely that would make more sense (and be easier on the wife when the twins come).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the story just does not add up imo and it sounds like this pair are taking advantage of your good nature and compassion.

The OPs story has changed a couple of times. Im on my phone so can't quote(well I could but can't be bothered).

The OP said she just met the couple Post #1

The guards already involved, the OP dropped them off at the garda station post #10 and post #14

Met them close by the garda entrance when they approached post #27

We went in the garda station together post #36.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This thread is definitely a wind up. Nobody is as innocent as the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

There's a far higher chance that some Roma people have learned enough English to have advanced to this next level of "fundraising"................................................
    tintin67 wrote: »
    They are both Roma scam artists. God love your innocence. If you are determined to throw your money away buy them Ryanair flights to 'Italy' but do not under any circumstances allow them into your home.
    You are being had, OP. Could be a hard lesson.

OP everyone is telling you the same thing.....it is a scam. 100% scam. you have a responsibility to the other people in the house, at best your house will be robbed at worst..... doesn't bear thinking about. As they have all their documents, ask to see the tickets for the flight....I guarantee they have been lost or binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I have to say I'm kinda curious as to why the husband is still a non EU national if he grew up in Italy.

And what nationality he does have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There's no way this is a genuine thread, surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

You could contact the Italian Embassy and find out what assistance they could get from them, of what help they could be in the couple's predicament.
    https://ambdublino.esteri.it/ambasciata_dublino/en

I think you should approach them for advice and information.. Did the Gardai give you any advice, did you go in with them at the time? Could you ask at the Garda station if they popped in and got help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, in your 4 bedroom HAP accommodation, who is already living there?
    You, your spouse, your child / children?
    You want to invite strangers in to sleep on an inflatable in the living room...?
    I suggest you protect your family from harm firstly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This thread is definitely a wind up. Nobody is as innocent as the OP.

The OP has a certain bit of, ahem, interesting previous!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91049991

and:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95060479

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wouldn't surprise me that the op would be taken in there are some extremely gullible people here on this small island.

Ireland is a bizarre place to come to from Italy to be honest.

Someone with learning difficulty could be had very easy also.

There was one on a UK police show and this lady felt sorry for a couple. She let them stay a few nights and as she wasn't the brightest they persuaded her they would be better off in the flat alone and she could find somewhere else.

Bizarre.

Advertisement