Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a pollytunnel irrigation system

Options
  • 24-05-2018 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice re home poly tunnel irrigation system. I have run some hydroderm pipe clipped to the ceiling frame though not having joined them yet. Was going to.put sprinklers in though don't know if I have enough pressure or is simplier system of rushing garden hose with tiny perforations down the beds a better job? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I just put in a system recently - drip hose in raised beds. Bought all the kit, hose, connectors etc online and cut hoses to fit. I think drip irrigation is far better than a sprinkler system - in a polytunnel humidity is your enemy, you want water to get to the roots but you want to keep the plants above as dry as possible, to prevent fungal diseases. A sprinkler system wets the whole foliage, increasing the humidity and giving fungal spores an ideal environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Zzippy wrote: »
    I just put in a system recently - drip hose in raised beds. Bought all the kit, hose, connectors etc online and cut hoses to fit. I think drip irrigation is far better than a sprinkler system - in a polytunnel humidity is your enemy, you want water to get to the roots but you want to keep the plants above as dry as possible, to prevent fungal diseases. A sprinkler system wets the whole foliage, increasing the humidity and giving fungal spores an ideal environment.
    What system did you go with as I am putting in a poly tunnel this week as it looks like I’m going to have a lot of time on my hands ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jimmyging wrote: »
    What system did you go with as I am putting in a poly tunnel this week as it looks like I’m going to have a lot of time on my hands ...

I got all the required hose and fittings from quickcrop.ie

https://www.quickcrop.ie/category/irrigation

Measure your beds and plan out your irrigation lines, how much hose you need and where you will need t-junction and corner fittings etc. I put lines about 30-35 cm apart and found this gives good coverage. I also plant individual plants esp tomatoes right beside the drip hose to make sure all the water is going to the roots.

Advertisement