Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile homes long term option?

Options
  • 24-05-2018 7:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

Can mobile homes be used as a long term option? I don't think I will ever afford a house and with the state of things in this country, I think I would like a mobile home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have you ever been in a shed in the middle of winter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dog tired wrote: »
    Can mobile homes be used as a long term option? I don't think I will ever afford a house and with the state of things in this country, I think I would like a mobile home.

Technically and legally, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You'll never keep dampness out of your clothes in Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »
    Technically and legally, no.

Practically, though, the Travelling community demonstrate that it is possible.

OP, council housing is our way of providing for people who cannot ever afford their own home. Go to your local council, and register. You likely won't get a house anytime soon, but you sooner you get on the list the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Practically, though, the Travelling community demonstrate that it is possible.
    To be fair, they can set up camp on the side of the road. If the OP did that, the mobile home would probably be taken off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

There are some lovely shipping container homes designed by people that decide to set up home in them, if you ever watch ,small home big living, it is on in the travel channel, sky, 198 , every day, there are some beautiful creations by people that feel they will never be able to own a house due to prices, and people who wish to sell up and down size, watch that and you will be amazed, they completely spray foam insulation these, have great heating and great ideas for small living, making use of every inch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I had the misfortune to stay in one for a couple of days over the winter a few years back. They are cold, noisy and miserable at that time of year. I’m sure the newer top of the range ones are well insulated and comfortable though.

Either way it’s not something I would do long term unless there is absolutely no alternative. As above, get yourself on the housing list ASAP.

goat2 wrote: »
    There are some lovely shipping container homes designed by people that decide to set up home in them, if you ever watch ,small home big living, it is on in the travel channel, sky, 198 , every day, there are some beautiful creations by people that feel they will never be able to own a house due to prices, and people who wish to sell up and down size, watch that and you will be amazed, they completely spray foam insulation these, have great heating and great ideas for small living, making use of every inch

To get the shipping containers to meet our regulations will cost more than buying a house in the first place.

I was inspecting one such building in Ringsend and the cost ran away. The owner had to abandaon one floor because he ran out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

If its good enough for Direct Provision housing for years then I don't see what the problem is???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

the_syco wrote: »
    To be fair, they can set up camp on the side of the road. If the OP did that, the mobile home would probably be taken off him.

Declare yourself an ethnic minority?

Live on a boat in a canal, lots of people do that in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Have you ever been in a shed in the middle of winter?

I have a standard garden shed as an office. Spent about 1K double insulating it. With a small heater in it, its lovely and warm, about 18c warmer than outside. Even spent a night in it during storm emma, not a bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tuskacz

dog tired wrote: »

No. Ireland is not mobile home-friendly country. But with current housing crisis , enforcement could close an eye on those as long as they do not make any problems. This country has bigger issues really than chasing and prosecuting individuals living in campers who are priced out of the market. That's not helping the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

We have a mobile in the south of the country and generally close up our site come october and dont go back until Paddy's weekend. Anywhere past that and its too cold/damp to be comfortable. There are newer models with double glazing and insulation but the money these will cost is pretty high also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I saw people using prefabs as an option, usually older people living on their own, esp in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Graces7 wrote: »

Plenty of empty houses around there to be bothering with a mobile home.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Plenty of empty houses around there to be bothering with a mobile home.

The OP was asking specifically re a mobile home.

A good price is this one too.

I saw people using prefabs as an option, usually older people living on their own, esp in rural areas.

I am in what they call a demountable dwelling ie a modular, owned by the council and very snug it is too.

OP would need land etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A good few people do it here as well, but it's only really viable if your work has showers.
    You only need look at the windows to see the lack of insulation.
    OP would need land etc.
    The OP would need to own the land, and for any land that is halfway decent, either be a local or have ties to the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The OP was asking specifically re a mobile home.

A good price is this one too.

They were looking for a mobile as they can't afford a house. In that area there are plenty of houses so why go for the inconvenience of a mobile which is nearly impossible to legally live in when houses are available.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    They were looking for a mobile as they can't afford a house. In that area there are plenty of houses so why go for the inconvenience of a mobile which is nearly impossible to legally live in when houses are available.

Not the first for rent by any means; that would have been my next option. legally?

In rentals. very few in Mayo at that price. Almost none . If purchas then the OP has the right idea. Cut your coat according to your cloth. Home is home

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

In the UK some do it legally, and quite a few illegally. Doing it legally over there can be quite expensive, comparable to paying a high rent for a house, but services are much better than over here.

Doing it legally over here can be quite difficult. Finding a place that you can moor legally that's not in the middle of nowhere is nigh on impossible. They're already taken with long waiting lists, such as Grand Canal Dock. Mooring licences for the GCD are due to rise (if they haven't already) to around €3500pa, plus passage licence, plus insurance.

The much cheaper legal alternative is to move your boat 1/2 a kilometer every five days, and not back and forward between two places. Bit of a pain if you're trying to stay local to work. Rarely any parking, no bins, mains water, mains electricity, postal address, muddy canal bank in Winter, no refueling points, emptying sewerage tanks, poor security etc, not for the faint hearted.

the_syco wrote: »
    A good few people do it here as well, but it's only really viable if your work has showers......

Most boats of a size suitable to living on board would have a shower, some even have baths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Apocalypticism

Is it legal to live in mobile home on your own land?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What difference could it make whether you own the land or not? Planning permission inures for the benefit of the land. It doesn't matter who lives in it.

No, it’s not legal.
    It requires Planning Permission.
    Planning will most likely be refused for a mobile home to be used as a habitable living unit.

Advertisement