Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you move to and what would you buy...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

C3PO wrote: »
    My understanding also!

Taken from the social welfare site.
    30. If I go to live abroad, what happens to my State pension (contributory)?

If you live or intend to live outside the State, you can get your pension by direct payment to your account in a financial institution either in Ireland or in the country you choose to live in.

EDIT: Apologies, this doesn't apply to the OP if not contributory so living abroad may not be the best option.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

As far as I was aware, if you've made the contributions during your working years, you're eligible for a pension abroad. Even if you worked partly in another country also, you can crossover the contributions and are still eligible as long as it's within the EU.

Op said it is a non-contributory pension

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

As someone who works in healthcare for older people, I cannot emphasis enough being in an urban or suburban area with easy access to GPs, PHN clinics, supermarkets, hospital appts etc. And likewise for PHNs, carers etc to be able to access your home easily even during weather events like Ophelia or Emma should it get to a point that you need home care. For the same reason a bungalow or a house with a second reception room downstairs is much preferable.

I hope you dont even have to think about any of this for many many years but it will be invaluable when you do have to.

I know a couple who recently retired to rural Cork from London (no children, friends etc) to live an idyllic country retirement. the husband became very ill and they now have no family support locally and hospital appts etc are a huge ordeal; they have also had to have costly renovations as the cottage wasn't built for the type of care he needs.

Even a village/town centre would be preferable to a rural area; perhaps Tramore or Rosslare for the Sunny South East? Or somewhere like Tuam or Athenry in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Always thought Clare was a underrated county. Lovely beaches, Ennis is nice town, Spanish Point is nice, clean air, cheaper than alot of other counties and friendly people.

Clare (if there was any work going there!)

Lahinch would be a good call. Would be busy enough all year around. Some of the other beach towns like Kilkee would be a bit abandoned during the winter. Lahinch might be a bit far away from good medical facilities though but Ennis might be a good shout and just get bus out to beach whenever wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

C3PO wrote: »
    .... or you get sick?

Might be better in Spain if you fall sick than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Get yourself a lovely apartment in Spain for 70-90k and live off the 100k.

If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do.

If I knew how long I was going to live then this would be what I would do!

I couldn't see it lasting even 10 years to be honest...

Always thought Clare was a underrated county. Lovely beaches, Ennis is nice town, Spanish Point is nice, clean air, cheaper than alot of other counties and friendly people.

Clare (if there was any work going there!)

The work thing isn't an issue but it's not really that cheap anywhere within 30 kilometres of Cliffs of Moher.

Also a distinct lack of trees...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

A mate of mine bought a 3 bed holiday home(fully furnished) in Sligo Enniscrone last year for 155k.....Pays 500 a year management fee. I thought it was a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Check out daft.ie, retirement village in clonakilty, looks nice, 100,000 euro, bungalow type residence, west cork is beautiful, people really nice, great sense of community, tried to copy link but doesn't seem to work on boards app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TrixIrl wrote: »
    As someone who works in healthcare for older people, I cannot emphasis enough being in an urban or suburban area with easy access to GPs, PHN clinics, supermarkets, hospital appts etc. And likewise for PHNs, carers etc to be able to access your home easily even during weather events like Ophelia or Emma should it get to a point that you need home care. For the same reason a bungalow or a house with a second reception room downstairs is much preferable.

I hope you dont even have to think about any of this for many many years but it will be invaluable when you do have to.

I know a couple who recently retired to rural Cork from London (no children, friends etc) to live an idyllic country retirement. the husband became very ill and they now have no family support locally and hospital appts etc are a huge ordeal; they have also had to have costly renovations as the cottage wasn't built for the type of care he needs.

Even a village/town centre would be preferable to a rural area; perhaps Tramore or Rosslare for the Sunny South East? Or somewhere like Tuam or Athenry in Galway?

Excellent, excellent, excellent, realistic point from a professional not wearing the rose tinted glasses. My folks are living urban and getting old, one with an lifelong illness. There was a bit of pressure for them to sell up and move rural not so long ago that was politely ignored. They have free public transport with close by (walking distance) gym/pool (essential), chemist, doc clinic, chemist, caring neighbours, OOH doc support, family support and short distance ambulance call out.

During the hard-hit East coast snow x2 we'd 4x4 owners and people on foot, myself included offering runs to chemists, surgeries, shops etc...

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Excellent, excellent, excellent, realistic point from a professional not wearing the rose tinted glasses. My folks are living urban and getting old, one with an lifelong illness. There was a bit of pressure for them to sell up and move rural not so long ago that was politely ignored. They have free public transport with close by (walking distance) gym/pool (essential), chemist, doc clinic, chemist, caring neighbours, OOH doc support, family support and short distance ambulance call out.

During the hard-hit East coast snow x2 we'd 4x4 owners and people on foot, myself included offering runs to chemists, surgeries, shops etc...

I totally agree. I have dropped the island fantasy and am firmly honed in on Galway City.

Thank you everyone for your contributions...

august12 wrote: »
    Check out daft.ie, retirement village in clonakilty, looks nice, 100,000 euro, bungalow type residence, west cork is beautiful, people really nice, great sense of community, tried to copy link but doesn't seem to work on boards app.

Nice idea but I would rather live in a diverse community...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Nomis21 wrote:
    Nice idea but I would rather live in a diverse community...

Fair enough,

Advertisement