Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a "NEW BIKE" superthread

Options
  • 25-05-2018 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭

Please Mods, its time, there are new "Advice for new bike" , "Bike for 100" , "New bike advice" threads being launched every day!

I think its time to bunch them into the one thread? Just a suggestion... :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Why even create a megathread. Just put a link to canyon in the FAQ, sit back and yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Those type threads generally don’t work in my opinion as people who are not looking for a bike tend to ignore it after a while so questions don’t get answered very quickly or at all in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yeah that carrera in halfords is decent, but if you're planning on going further than 3km, you should consider spending a little more maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah that carrera in halfords is decent, but if you're planning on going further than 3km, you should consider spending a little more maybe?
    does it take mudguards, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

There are at least 2 new threads every day though, if they could all head to the same thread, they might find the info that they need.
    At the moment, the same questions and answers are just being rehashed and reposted continuously.
    One mega thread would just tidy up the forum, imo.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

it's fine the way it is, different budgets, different needs so no harm in having separate treads.

If people ain't interested don't go into the tread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think a megathread would be messy, people would be responding to different requests for advice and getting confused as to what response was relevant to what question. the maintenance thread works (i like to think anyway) because often a question will be solved in one or two replies - requests for bike buying advice can go over a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

i think a megathread would be messy, people would be responding to different requests for advice and getting confused as to what response was relevant to what question. the maintenance thread works (i like to think anyway) because often a question will be solved in one or two replies - requests for bike buying advice can go over a page.

A 'current best value bike to work options' sticky could cover a lot of it. People with other budgets or requirements I think make sense to be in individual threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

greenspurs wrote: »
    Please Mods, its time, there are new "Advice for new bike" , "Bike for 100" , "New bike advice" threads being launched every day!

I think its time to bunch them into the one thread? Just a suggestion... :P

People won’t realise and will still create a new thread. Happens already with Bike to Work. Every q that could be asked has probably been asked and answered many times, yet people still ask ... yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ok, I'll try going first! Please excuse my ignorance.

I can use the bike to work again next January. I have been looking around and love the look of the 2017 Cannondale SuperSix EVO in Volt colour. However, I presume that by January next year it will be unavailable.

https://www.cannondale.com/International/bike/Productdetail?Id=1c10969c-b602-4575-98e3-d6e4eb94957c

One thing that concerned me about it is the gearing.
    Front: 52/36
    Rear: 11-28, 11-speed

I currently have:
    Front: 50/34
    Rear: 11-32. 11-speed

My current bike is used for spins of anywhere from 20-150km and I don't mind climbing up to 1500m on it.

So I have two questions:
    1. What difference would I notice in the gear ratios on the flat and climbing?
    2. Any alternative bikes I should look at (needs to be a bit of a madder colour as most seem to be matt black)?

ETA: I would be looking for Ultegra and have a budget of circa €2000-3000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ok, I'll try going first! Please excuse my ignorance.

I can use the bike to work again next January. I have been looking around and love the look of the 2017 Cannondale SuperSix EVO in Volt colour. However, I presume that by January next year it will be unavailable.

https://www.cannondale.com/International/bike/Productdetail?Id=1c10969c-b602-4575-98e3-d6e4eb94957c

One thing that concerned me about it is the gearing.
    Front: 52/36
    Rear: 11-28, 11-speed

I currently have:
    Front: 50/34
    Rear: 11-32. 11-speed

My current bike is used for spins of anywhere from 20-150km and I don't mind climbing up to 1500m on it.

So I have two questions:
    1. What difference would I notice in the gear ratios on the flat and climbing?
    2. Any alternative bikes I should look at (needs to be a bit of a madder colour as most seem to be matt black)?

You'd be losing your Granny gearing if you ever use it, you will be going from 34/32 to 36/28 which is quite a difference. It is however easy to change cassettes and chain rings if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Inquitus wrote: »
    You'd be losing your Granny gearing if you ever use it, you will be going from 34/32 to 36/28 which is quite a difference. It is however easy to change cassettes and chain rings if required.

Thank you Inquitus. I love my granny gearing. I don't think I'd manage without it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rayzzor83

Which aero bike? Merida 5000,6000 or equal giant propel advanced?

I have a basic entry level road bike and mainly do short fast solo spins of 25-100 km distance and average speed of approx 28-33 km

Would like to do club racing next year after more group cycle spin experience.

Have a budget of 2-3500 euro with the BTW scheme.

Giant merida and cube are the brands available at Lbs.

Thanks for any advice ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Looking for a road bike with following for ~2000 but haven't found any yet:

Carbon
    Full Ultegra 8000 hydraulic
    Wheels are unimportant as I'll be replacing them
    Endurance frameset preferable but not stuck on that.

Would be B2W but can purchase online/offline.

Advertisement