Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's NOT ready for the Beara 2018????

Options
  • 25-05-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Got my number, bike all serviced, gear all at front door, bike rack on car.... but worried that I haven't done enough for the 110 spin!!! Getting 20-25 km in over past month at around 2-3 times a week weather permitting!!!

Really looking forward to the Cycle but will Have to accept ( for first time ever!!) that I might have to walk up parts of the Caha climb. Don't think heart and lungs are ready yet for Caha.

Anyway... hope the rest of ye are as excited....see you tomorrow!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Enjoy! Caha is not so bad as it looks, just find a low gear, keep her steady and you'll make it to the top no bother.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm ready (I think). Forgot to pack suncream. Hopefully I'm tempting fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

We have a guy coming down with us that stopped cycling mid last year, and this year has only done 3 25km spins so 75km totak since last Augustso you are so prepared compared to him as I suspect he will have to turn back as he has no work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

The weather forecast has being fluctuating but looks like it will be quite cold all morning with northerly breeze. Should be dry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Caha will be fine. Low gear and spin up. The ramps around Alihies are erm vigorating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

P_1 wrote: »
    Caha will be fine. Low gear and spin up. The ramps around Alihies are erm vigorating

True. Caha is long and easy. Reentrisk short and brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

P_1 wrote: »

Alihies is NOT on my wish-list!!!! Won't be going anywhere near it!!
    as I suspect he will have to turn back as he has no work done

Thats my worry.... hope I dont come to that! Would rather walk up Caha and let gravity do the rest on the other side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Masala wrote: »
    Alihies is NOT on my wish-list!!!! Won't be going anywhere near it!!

Thats my worry.... hope I dont come to that! Would rather walk up Caha and let gravity do the rest on the other side!!

I’m doing the tour de conamara tomorrow 140km. I had more training done last year, this winter and spring were too severe to allow for more training.

So what if you walk up a hill, it’s no big deal. Just enjoy the spin. If you need to walk a bit so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

jamesd wrote: »
    We have a guy coming down with us that stopped cycling mid last year, and this year has only done 3 25km spins so 75km totak since last Augustso you are so prepared compared to him as I suspect he will have to turn back as he has no work done.

he's going to die...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Liam28 wrote: »
    True. Caha is long and easy. Reentrisk short and brutal.

Barnes is a killer to
    22c in allihies today and tomorrow is forecast to be the same

• Advertisement

he's going to die...

He had the dinner in Foley's this evening with us and he had 5 pints with it so won't help either.

Hitting the road at 7:30am from the bike shop at the end of the main street if anyone wants to join ús.

He had the dinner in Foley's this evening with us and he had 5 pints with it so won't help either.

I love this guy. Keep us posted on his suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hitting the road at 7:30am from the bike shop at the end of the main street if anyone wants to join ús.

The stuff of legends :)

You'll be sick when he breeze around and you're walking up caha :D

Back home at base..... cruised to Glengarriff and then struggled. Got cramp in BOTH legs at tge start of the climb. Pulled into a house entrance and got talking to some people and a lady had Deep Heat in her saddlebag!!! An angel from heaven she was.... I sprayed liberally and was on my way!!!! Was doing ok when a fierce nice bloke from Belfast came up beside me and we got talking!!! The good conversation just took along and then some says ' there it is' ..... the tunnel!!! I still can't believe it.....

To be honest .... legs are like jelly and I have pain in the shoulders from holding on to the hoods....gonna need more Deep Heat for that!!

Otherwise .... top top day and great organisation!!! Great sambos and plenty of them!!! Even got a bit of a tan on legs I would say!!! ThankYou Beara....great event

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The stuff of legends :)

You'll be sick when he breeze around and you're walking up caha :D

He made it guys, said he was under pressure but did it without walking up the hills and is settled with a few pints in the pub.We met up with him at the last food stop and he was in very good form.

4 of ús were doing the 110km as we did the 140km last year so wanted something different this year, but we spotted the road for The Healy Pass and we went up to the top of that and back down again and really enjoyed it and brought the climbing up as the 110km is a lot easier than the 140km.

He made it guys, said he was under pressure but did it without walking up the hills and is settled with a few pints in the pub.We met up with him at the last food stop and he was in very good form.

4 of ús were doing the 110km as we did the 140km last year so wanted something different this year, but we spotted the road for The Healy Pass and we went up to the top of that and back down again and really enjoyed it and brought the climbing up as the 110km is a lot easier than the 140km.

Hey Man .... you are SOOOOO Money Supermarket!! That's hardcore!!

Chapeau to u and r mates!!

Was helping out yesterday for a few hours, just reading this thread...where or what are people referring to as "Caha"?

The range is the Cahas, but there is no mountain called Caha.

Was helping out yesterday for a few hours, just reading this thread...where or what are people referring to as "Caha"?

The range is the Cahas, but there is no mountain called Caha.

Caha Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My second time doing beara . only this time I did the 140 (137km) great event in fairness, I was a bit worried about hills on the 140 but did good.

I don't think I ever saw as many food stops on an event , I just used 1 of them , packed up heavy and onwards .

The burgers at end were delish and craic was fantastic , only wish I didn't have to drive home .

2nd time doing it, great event, found the haul up to Caha pass more difficult than I remembered, had been dreading the hills near
    Allihies but didn't find them too bad.
    Worst bit about it for me was the 40k after the event to Killarney to catch the train

• Advertisement

..where or what are people referring to as "Caha"?

Glengarrif to Kenmare

Advertisement