Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

eviltwin wrote: »
    My daughter arrived from Tokyo this morning, voted Yes and is back at the airport ready to fly back.

My brother and his wife arrive back later from Israel to vote Yes.

Husbag's family back from the UK to vote Yes.

The effort and sacrifice people are making to be here is humbling.

"Husbag" is my favourite new word.

How long are they away on holidays?

If they don't live here they shouldn't be voting here.

I'm home for the week to vote.
    And I am entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Nonsense.

Under the 1992 Electoral Act, Irish citizens who have left Ireland for no longer than 18 months are still entitled to vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well my daughter is only away for the year so she's eligible.

Brother and his wife work abroad but spend 4-5 months of the year here

The in-laws all live in the UK but they still have family here and I guess they want to do their bit to support their loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think if they've been out of the country for less than 18 months they're entitled to vote.

However voting cards have been issued to people who don't qualify. Please don't encourage them to use them as that could leave the result open to a legal challenge.

• Advertisement

cagefactor wrote: »
    I find this sorta mad to be honest. what a waste of money. If they aren't living here then what's it got to do with them

Perhaps it's personal, perhaps it really really matters.

The in-laws all live in the UK but they still have family here and I guess they want to do their bit to support their loved ones.

But surely that means they're not entitled to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

pone2012 wrote: »
    Thats the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read, nobody has to have an opinion because you say say they do

Someone has the right not to vote if they wish. I can bet you any amount of money there's a huge chunk of liberals and conservatives who ran around screaming and parading regards SSM, yet completely ignored the children's referendum that was in close proximity. Indeed, there was no #hometovote for that one...

Ironic, given they are our most vulnerable members of society.

Not trendy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Thats a TA for Mna from me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

What the Yes side will do if the No group wins:

giphy.gif

#womansecondclass

If they lived here before and plan to, even possibly, again, they have a right and would be fools not to take an interest in their home.

What I suspect you don't like is that the people open-minded enough to see the world are much much more likely to vote yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I find this sorta mad to be honest. what a waste of money. If they aren't living here then what's it got to do with them

Idk about you, but the abortion laws in Ireland were certainly one of many push factors against me wanting to stay in the long term. I can only imagine that’s true for Irish citizens as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm saying it.

I voted NO.

And guess what, I don't give a whiny rats ass what any of you think about it.

While I may disagree on how someone votes I'll fight to the death to allow someone to have that right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This votes seems rather brexit-ish to me.

In the sense that we are being a straight yes or no vote.

I'm very much open to correction but why wasnt the legislation drafted before the vote

We could then see what we are actually voting for..

We vote on referenda, the Oireachtas votes on legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Queued up for an almost hour to vote only for the girl to point out that I was in Argos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pro choice on everything. Voted Yes.

She does live here. She's doing a years study there but is home for good in the summer.

I paid for her flights with my holiday fund. I don't see it as a waste, her Yes is more important than a week in the sun. I'm happy to sacrifice a holiday if it means this thing gets consigned to history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Voted YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

QueenRizla wrote: »
    Would it be a big deal to send a notification of removal to that address to allow people to reregister at a new one? Instead of finding out when polling card didn’t arrive? People are not going to automatically check the register if after so many years and active they would assume they are still on it!

What's the point sending a notification the person no longer lives there . That's the entire point. If your no longer live at the address you're registered you should assume your not registered and transfer your vote to your new address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My daughter arrived from Tokyo this morning, voted Yes and is back at the airport ready to fly back.

My brother and his wife arrive back later from Israel to vote Yes.

Husbag's family back from the UK to vote Yes.

The effort and sacrifice people are making to be here is humbling.
    The girl coming from Bali on one of the facebook pages is really overpowering, along with all the other stories, the sheer support to counteract the no votes.
    The photos from Dublin Airport this morning and last night, all the repeal and together for yes flags and tshirts. Comeon Ireland. Your time is now :)

I'm copying a great quote i saw on this thread. Tá for Mná!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I will be voting No to unrestricted abortion on demand up to 12 weeks which is what the proposed legislation facilitates.

But surely that means they're not entitled to vote?

they have voting cards and they voted. they are adults do it's their choice and I love choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Melodeon

A YES from me, and my elderly mother tells me she too voted YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭cagefactor

Overheal wrote: »
    Idk about you, but the abortion laws in Ireland were certainly one of many push factors against me wanting to stay in the long term. I can only imagine that’s true for Irish citizens as well.

So if you can get an abortion or not is high up your list of criteria for choosing where to live. The mind boggles and I am a Yes voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A no brainier for me. Easiest Yes I’ve ever given.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm very much open to correction but why wasnt the legislation drafted before the vote

Because you're not voting for the legislation. You're voting simply to repeal the 8th amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nonsense.

Under the 1992 Electoral Act, Irish citizens who have left Ireland for no longer than 18 months are still entitled to vote

I knew this, but I must say Im aware of plenty of folk personally who are coming home to vote that have been living permanently out of Ireland for far longer than 18 months. They usually get their parents to keep them registered at the home place whenever the register is updated each year.

I know too these folk will be a much greater mass of Yes than No voters, but all the same it has to be stopped. It makes a mockery of the electoral act and true representative democracy.

There should be a heavy fine for anyone who attests to someone being resident in a home when they arent, just so they can vote illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes, but this poll is going to bear no resemblance whatsoever to the end result. I've seen it before when Boards have held these sorts of polls. The boardsies demographic is not reflective of the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

I enjoyed "influencers" on their social media stories today reminding US not to take selfies/photos while inside the polling stations of we would spoil our votes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I don't entirely disagree, but if any change like this was to be made, you would need to allow those non-nationals who do live here to vote. As your view is that the rules should be made by the people who have to live by them.
    I would fully support this by the way.

A system where only the Irish citizens who stay on the island permanently get to vote how it is run for all those living here would be almost more ridiculous than the current system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I knew this, but I must say Im aware of plenty of folk personally who are coming home to vote that have been living permanently out of Ireland for far longer than 18 months. They usually get their parents to keep them registered at the home place whenever the register is updated each year.

I know too these folk will be a much greater mass of Yes than No voters, but all the same it has to be stopped. It makes a mockery of the electoral act and true representative democracy.

There should be a heavy fine for anyone who attests to someone being resident in a home when they arent, just so they can vote illegally.

Why do you think that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Your bro would need to be here six months of the year to gain ordinary residence. And the bottom group are not eligible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes, but this poll is going to bear no resemblance whatsoever to the end result. I've seen it before when Boards have held these sorts of polls. The boardsies demographic is not reflective of the general public.

True, but I still think the Yes side will coast this.

About 60-40 in the end I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe someone who understands the vagaries of the search engine can find if we did an SSM exit poll.
    From memory our Yes vote was around 13 points higher than the actual result, but don't know if that was exit poll or ongoing thread poll. Would be some sort of guide anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wouldn’t it be great if it was an 80% yes vote - is Boards a true representation of Ireland today? :)

Voted Yes! Polling Station was full of aul wans though, you could virtually see them counting their rosary beads.

Come on the Yes’s!! :nervous:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I reckon we're heading for a big yes vote, in the region of 60%. It could even be higher than that.

At the start of the campaign I thought the no side would edge it, but there's a real sense of energy around the yes campaign. I'm also taken aback by how shaky the no vote is outside of the large urban areas where it was assumed it would be solid. I can see most constituencies voting yes, 50 - 52% with Dublin and large urban areas approaching 70%. The no vote is far too weak in the rural areas for the referendum to be rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

It seems pretty straight forward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I think this poll will be slightly skew as most people on broads are very liberal , and a lot people who will vote no may not feel safe expressing that they voted no especially on social media. Honestly I think it will probably pass, it will be very close 40/50 or closer, so just remember what ever way it goes respect the other side, be gracious in either defeat or victory because the battle will be over but the debate will go on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Plenty (not all) of the #HomeToVote people are egotistic, narcissistic tool boxes who just want to post about it on Facebook and everybody to like what they are doing.

Next week they will be up in arms about climate change/Trump/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Nonsense.

To be clear I meant ones like that. It read like a family living overseas came home to vote.

Larbre34 wrote: »

These people are idiots. It has already been stated that if it is suspected that a significant number of votes have been cast by people no longer eligible, the losing side will very likely take a legal case to have the result declared void.

Why would you risk this after all the hassle, expense and emotion that has been poured into this referendum? It is a totally selfish act to vote when you know you shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mach1982 wrote: »
    I think this poll will be slightly skew as most people on broads are very liberal , and a lot people who will vote no may not feel safe expressing that they voted no especially on social media. Honestly I think it will probably pass, it will be very close 40/50 or closer, so just remember what ever way it goes respect the other side, be gracious in either defeat or victory because the battle will be over but the debate will go on .

What about the remaining 10%?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mach1982 wrote: »

Poll on The Journal.ie gives 80% as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Schrodingers idiot/asshole everyone!

Chill out, I was having a bit of a laugh. No need to be so sensitive!!

Wouldn’t it be great if it was an 80% yes vote - is Boards a true representation of Ireland today? :)

Voted Yes! Polling Station was full of aul wans though, you could virtually see them counting their rosary beads.

Come on the Yes’s!! :nervous:

I think it will be a Yes win, but are childish and rude statements like this one really necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭cagefactor

Plenty (not all) of the #HomeToVote people are egotistic, narcissistic tool boxes who just want to post about it on Facebook and everybody to like what they are doing.

Next week they will be up in arms about climate change/Trump/etc.

Totally agree about this. Attention seekers looking for as many likes as possible to gratify whatever miserable lives they have abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

they have voting cards and they voted. they are adults do it's their choice and I love choice

My sister was on the register in a polling station she hasn’t voted at in well over a decade. Happens all the time. Being issued a polling card doesn’t confer eligibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So if you can get an abortion or not is high up your list of criteria for choosing where to live. The mind boggles and I am a Yes voter.
    Perhaps s/he was more concerned with the health impacts of the 8th, and not abortion itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If they lived here before and plan to, even possibly, again, they have a right and would be fools not to take an interest in their home.

What I suspect you don't like is that the people open-minded enough to see the world are much much more likely to vote yes.

I'm for the change but I also think laws are important, I know, crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement