Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gannicus wrote: »
    That's exactly whats happening the liberal extreme left has a tendancy to shout down and dehumanize anyone that doesn't agree with them as a Nazi or Trump or some other b****x.

Was walking down henry street last week and some yungwan on a loudspeaker had been screaming 14,000 women had been prosecuted for having abortions abroad in the last year, and her harem of beats cackling around her.

Tell me about it it's terrible isn't it.

Like the fella that is walking around town today with a sign saying anyone who voted yes should have been aborted...

Classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Hey everyone. *points at sign*
    Mod: This thread is little more than a survey about how you voted. Please don't the ins and outs of abortion.

Please keep it civil. You've done your democratic duty. Now let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Passed some young ones near the polling station with a Yes banner. Would they ever give it a ****in rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Mod: Hey everyone. *points at sign*

Please keep it civil. You've done your democratic duty. Now let it go.

Any chance you could just block any comments and leave the poll?

Cause this is going to turn into a freakin mess :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That was 23 years ago.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge and Rome's influence has diminished significantly.

This is a very contentious issue. I think it’s a lot more polarising than divorce so I wouldn’t be so sure. I really want Yes to pass and am wary of anything that can bring about a challenge if the result is close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

If the yes vote carries would you be willing to work in one of these clinics if you were offered employment there and the same question to all yes voters.
    If you had relevant qualifications and you were offered employment there would you be willing to work there?

I guess you're trying to expose some hypocrisy there or something. Like a big "Aha! Gotcha!" kinda thing?
    1. It is not hypocritical to agree that something is acceptable but not feel comfortable with the practicalties of it.
    2. When someone votes to allow someone else to choose, it doesn't follow that the voter would make the same choice.
    3. Being a hypocrit is not the same thing as being wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Currently 81% yes (which I voted for) from 552 votes. Granted AH will have a higher yes count that Ireland generally, though if I recall with SSM in 2015 it was about 10% in the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: I've deleted posts that are not about how you voted. Next time its bans. This is not the next iteration of the abortion thread, it's about how you voted. No more.

Passed some young ones near the polling station with a Yes banner. Would they ever give it a ****in rest.

Are they within 50 meters? If they are, ask them to move further away. Otherwise it's not your concern. They can and should fight their cause to the last.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Currently 81% yes out of 552 votes. Granted AH will have a higher yes count that Ireland generally, though if I recall with SSM in 2015 it was about 10% in the difference.

This is a gigantic echo chamber. How can you not see that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Noticed a line in this article that surprised me:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44241521
    The BBC, along with other broadcasters, is not allowed to report details of campaigning while the polls are open.

Why would the BBC be blocked from reporting on the campaigning? They are not a broadcaster in Ireland, despite everyone receiving the channels. Are they just being excessive in following the reporting regulations for Ireland even though they don't need to?

Are they within 50 meters? If they are, ask them to move further away. Otherwise it's not your concern. They can and should fight their cause to the last.

I don't care what they do. They're annoying everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

_Dara_ wrote: »
    This is a very contentious issue. I think it’s a lot more polarising than divorce so I wouldn’t be so sure. I really want Yes to pass and am wary of anything that can bring about a challenge if the result is close.
    It's been made equally contentious as the divorce referendum, if you look at the societies from each time.

The divorce referendum was vicious. Public attitude towards each side, hatred.
    Similarly so in the '83 referendum and the two subsequent referenda 13th+14th pro abortion referenda that passed.

This one hasn't been that bad. So I don't think it will be as close as people are thinking. I said something like 53-47 YES but I actually think the yes vote will be closer to 60 than 50.

It's a nice day so the turnout will be high.
    My super conservative father is voting yes after some himming and hawing. He's my barometer for the older voter. He still won't tell me how he voted (meaning it was a no) in the SSM referendum.

EDIT - did not see the mod post as it crossed with mine.

I've voted YES and will not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If the yes vote carries would you be willing to work in one of these clinics if you were offered employment there and the same question to all yes voters.
    If you had relevant qualifications and you were offered employment there would you be willing to work there?

I don't think they have much call for designers but if I had relevant qualifications, I'd probably work there.

This is a gigantic echo chamber. How can you not see that?

That is what was said in 2015 on the AH threads too. I expect the actual vote will be closer alright, but people expecting a 30% swing from what the polls come to might wind up disappointed if 2015 was anything to go by.

I don't care what they do. They're annoying everyone.

I guess tomorrow will tell us if that's true. I really doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

wexie wrote: »

Cause this is going to turn into a freakin mess :(

Are u in training to be a mod?

Yes.

I haven't got out yet- there was talk of some groups intending to have a presence near the stations as if to check IDs. Anyone seen anything like that happening?

I get there's some flag waving happening near some stations but I guess that's inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

wexie wrote: »

Can't, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I haven't got out yet- there was talk of some groups intending to have a presence near the stations as if to check IDs. Anyone seen anything like that happening?

I get there's some flag waving happening near some stations but I guess that's inevitable.

Can't happen within 50m of a polling station, beyond that they can wave whatever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can't, unfortunately

Have fun :D

catherdfamone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Voted Yes and happy to do so. I do think it'll be very close though. Somewhere between 52-55% Yes is my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Groups supporting either side aren't allowed near polling stations,all paraphernalia has to be removed too. There's a 100 metre exclusion zone around polling stations. Anyone campaigning within that zone is breaking the law.

A reminder, whether you are voting YES or NO - do not wear any clothing, badges or other paraphernalia about your choice as this is not allowed in polling stations and could impact your ability to vote.

I've had to mention it to a number of people on FB in the last 24 hours all excited about getting their "yes" or "no" gear on to go down to vote so figure it's worth saying here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I agree, on both sides. I voted no for the thread, and on a side note was happy people wearing badges in my job were told to remove them.
    Let democracy rule now, i will respect the outcome whatever it may be.

yes voter here

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

A reminder, whether you are voting YES or NO - do not wear any clothing, badges or other paraphernalia about your choice as this is not allowed in polling stations and could impact your ability to vote.

I've had to mention it to a number of people on FB in the last 24 hours all excited about getting their "yes" or "no" gear on to go down to vote so figure it's worth saying here!

I have a big NO on the front of my t-shirt. I think I'll have to turn it back to front so the NO is on the back and becomes ON!

Can't happen within 50m of a polling station, beyond that they can wave whatever they like.
    Groups supporting either side aren't allowed near polling stations,all paraphernalia has to be removed too. There's a 100 metre exclusion zone around polling stations. Anyone campaigning within that zone is breaking the law.

Yep, this I know. I'm asking if there's been shenaningans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a poll in an echo chamber!

• Advertisement

Why can't I wear clothing to the polling station? Who will mind my clothes if I remove them?

Yep, a few harridans near the Drimnagh polling station.

Why can't I wear clothing to the polling station? Who will mind my clothes if I remove them?

Strictly not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Id be surprised if that happened, thats basic stuff for the staff, ID is perfectly sufficient.

But if it did, ring the local returning officer and tell them this is happening. As someone who supervised polling stations for 15 years on and off, I can tell you denying someones vote without going to every length to establish their identity is the most serious thing that could happen. The presiding officer at the station could be personally liable in Court.

I didn't hear the whole interaction, but want I heard was the gentleman being told if you don't have a polling card you can't vote. Maybe earlier in the conversation there was an issue with I'd I just don't know.

But I am absolutely certain that the person working there, in charge told someone "you can't vote without a polling card"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Hope not. Divorce passed by only 9000 votes.

The successful result of that referendum in particular was to my mind at least one of the 1st signs of push back against Catholic orthodoxy.
    It was a massive slap in the face to many of the old hierarchy and when you consider that the previous attempt to introduce divorce failed by 63.5% to 35.5% margin only 9yrs previously, it is evidence of the rapid swing and changes in Ireland.

I said it on a previous thread, but I'll say it again so some of the under 30 posters in particular can get a feel of what I mean.
    The change in Ireland in just a generation is striking!
    I really believe that in time the changes in Irish society from the mid 90's to date will be seen as rapid and revolutionary, akin to 50s/60s US.

I'm the eldest of 8 siblings, I was born in the late 70's in a home for unmarried mother's. Luckily my Grandfather came and brought both me and my Mam home.
    My youngest brother was born in the year 2000, he has never known any Ireland but this one. Progressive, open and adaptive.
    But this Ireland is a very very different one to the Ireland many of us, regardless of class or urban/rural divide knew just a few years before he was born.
    He never knew a time when condoms were prescription only, where ciontraception was anathema, where the church dictated norms, where women who fell pregnant were whisked off to homes, where travellers were schooled in what could reasonably be called apartheid conditions.

We Irish always like to pay ourselves on the back for our generous spirit and the help we try and give those less fortunate than ourselves...
    Hopefully tomorrow we can pat ourselves on the back and know that we have removed one of the most oppressive restrictions women still face in our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So happy this campaign is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

a poll in an echo chamber!

Being in the minority doesn't make it an echo chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

LoveBothDrogheda had a callout for volunteers to act as security and check for ID's at polling stations. The tweet was deleted but not before being report to the Gaurds multiple times. I have a screenshot of the tweet but can't post it here.

Being in the minority doesn't make it an echo chamber.

Ah come on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    LoveBothDrogheda had a callout for volunteers to act as security and check for ID's at polling stations. The tweet was deleted but not before being report to the Gaurds multiple times. I have a screenshot of the tweet but can't post it here.

My suspicion is that it's a parody account. It has to be, unless they've gone full Willie Frazer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Ah come on now

Your continued presence to freely post your views would go against the presence of an echo chamber ,no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah come on now

If you think it's an echo chamber because you hold an opposing minority view, what do you suggest boards.ie does. Ban people who might hold the prevailing viewpoint until it gets evened out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

they're a shower of nutcases.They weren't long backing down after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Probably been posted but first Exit Polls will be announced on the Late Late Show tonight..... leaving Ryan with the duties *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Childish reply from someone who has been complaining about the 'dishonesty' and 'lies' of the No campaigners.

It seems that you apply one rule to yourself, and another to those you don't agree with.

Eh, what do you expect me to do Bella? They are responsible for their own actions, I'm not their keeper.

So many are returning so you can bet there will be a lot of Nos in that.

If it bothers you then complain but as we saw with SSM it's unlikely to have any impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Currently 81% yes (which I voted for) from 552 votes. Granted AH will have a higher yes count that Ireland generally, though if I recall with SSM in 2015 it was about 10% in the difference.
    Just looking back at the SSM thread, the results were broadly similar;

79.9% on the AH poll then voted Yes for SSM.

So, even if arguably both threads were echo chambers for one side, were prone to interference by multi-accounters and were understandably skewed towards the young/savvy/male demographic, it still seems to be coming out broadly similar.

And just like back then there was a lot of talk of silent majorities, suppression of No voters' free speech, and trolls claiming that everyone they talked to had declared for No, it all turned out to be hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Yes, yes, yes, oh, yes 
    Oh no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes 
    Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes 
    Oh...Yes, yes..."

- Morrissey

I prefer this:

and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

-- Joyce

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

circadian wrote:
    My suspicion is that it's a parody account. It has to be, unless they've gone full Willie Frazer.

Possibly but I have seen some of the posts of a prominent No campaigner and to say no respect for the law would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Blazer wrote: »
    they're a shower of nutcases.They weren't long backing down after it.

Not deleted, it’s still there. I’m looking right at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

If I was at home I would have voted yes. In the country where I live(Spain) it's available, so why not for Irish women as well.

Advertisement